A perfect storm of scale sabotage...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • ...or, "How I learned to ignore the scale and pay attention to my waistband."

I probably shouldn't have stepped on the scale this morning, but some habits are hard to break. I was up 1.5 pounds from my official WI last Friday. There are about a million reasons for this.

I had a late volleyball game last night so Mr. Rebound and I didn't eat dinner until nearly 9 pm.

In addition to dinner I drank two 16 oz glasses of water and an 8 oz glass of milk.

Dinner consisted of two cups of soup and a fresh bakery roll.

So I had approximately 56 oz of liquid and a hunk of carbs at 9 pm.

And it's TOM.

So it comes as no surprise that the scale was up. But every day my waistband is a little more comfortable and I can more easily pull my jeans up over my hips. So I am concentrating on those non-scale indications that I am on the right track.

I'm still hoping for a maintain or even a teeny tiny loss on Friday, simply because I like to see that line on my graph go DOWN, not UP, but whatever happens, if I have another good week after this one I'll be sure to see a big drop.

Why do our bodies curse us every 4 weeks? It makes everything so confusing!
  • It's hard to ignore the scale! I'm a slave to my scale! I can't step away from it. I weigh myself daily (sometimes several times a day). BUT.....my clothes are fitting better, so I know I'm doing something right.
  • Quote: It's hard to ignore the scale! I'm a slave to my scale! I can't step away from it. I weigh myself daily (sometimes several times a day). BUT.....my clothes are fitting better, so I know I'm doing something right.
    I too weigh myself every day. And although I know I shouldn't...for some reason I do. But here's my thing....I do NOT want to weigh myself once a week. I would look forward to that day I weigh in and then if I didn't lose any weight that week I would be super dissapointed. So I guess I would rather be a little dissapointed daily than super dissapointed on that weigh in day!
  • "they" are now saying that most people who are sucessful at loosing weight weigh daily, not weekly as it used to be reccommended. i for one was checking my wieght every morning the last time i successfully lost significant weight, and i still do it. i think it helps keep me in check.
    seeing that # first thing in the am lets me know how much leeway i have with my food choices for the day.

like everything, it's subjective. whatever works best for you.
  • Quote: "they" are now saying that most people who are sucessful at loosing weight weigh daily, not weekly as it used to be reccommended.
    Now that you mention that, I remember reading that somewhere too.
  • I like to weight twice a week. The mid-week check tells me if I am on the right track but usually neither freaks me out nor gives me false confidence.

But weighing at all during TOM should be forbidden...
  • [QUOTE=But weighing at all during TOM should be forbidden...[/QUOTE]

agreed

actually now that i'm older, i don't obsess over it as much. i try to step on it, but if i don't i'm not too worried. i can kind of gage where i am wieght wise based on what i know i ate the previous day and how i feel.

it is nice to see it though when the number is actually going down. i find it motivates me when i see the number and it is smaller than what it was when i started, even if it's not actively moving down for a few days.
  • Old habits die hard. I weighed again this morning and was back down to my WI from last Friday. Looks like I'm on track still for a small loss this week. Still hoping for a nice big one next week though!
  • My scale hasn't moved since last Friday! Grrrrrrrrrr! What happened to that 2 pounds/week I was losing?

Somebody slap me!
  • I have found that I can step on my scale repeatedly and the weight changes each time I step on it (within a minute of each weigh in)...I think I need a wider platform...cause depending on how I'm distributing my weight the scale (digital) changes each time (within 2 lbs) and it is hard to know what my true weight is for that weigh in. I can't afford to go to the doctor to get weighed in weekly...what should I do?
  • Oh & I used to weigh myself daily, but I am trying to stick to weekly (Friday mornings).
  • Quote: I have found that I can step on my scale repeatedly and the weight changes each time I step on it (within a minute of each weigh in)...I think I need a wider platform...cause depending on how I'm distributing my weight the scale (digital) changes each time (within 2 lbs) and it is hard to know what my true weight is for that weigh in. I can't afford to go to the doctor to get weighed in weekly...what should I do?
    All I can think to suggest is to weigh yourself 3 times and take the average. Does it bounce around, or does it only go up or down?
  • If I do that I always go with the lower #!! Always.
  • Quote: All I can think to suggest is to weigh yourself 3 times and take the average. Does it bounce around, or does it only go up or down?
    It is a digital scale...weight watchers I think. I got it at Target.
  • I've seen that with my digital scale too. Urgh! I will just weigh a few times and take whatever number repeatedly comes up (though I'd love to take that lower #)