Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #1  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Default A perfect storm of scale sabotage...

...or, "How I learned to ignore the scale and pay attention to my waistband."

I probably shouldn't have stepped on the scale this morning, but some habits are hard to break. I was up 1.5 pounds from my official WI last Friday. There are about a million reasons for this.

I had a late volleyball game last night so Mr. Rebound and I didn't eat dinner until nearly 9 pm.

In addition to dinner I drank two 16 oz glasses of water and an 8 oz glass of milk.

Dinner consisted of two cups of soup and a fresh bakery roll.

So I had approximately 56 oz of liquid and a hunk of carbs at 9 pm.

And it's TOM.

So it comes as no surprise that the scale was up. But every day my waistband is a little more comfortable and I can more easily pull my jeans up over my hips. So I am concentrating on those non-scale indications that I am on the right track.

I'm still hoping for a maintain or even a teeny tiny loss on Friday, simply because I like to see that line on my graph go DOWN, not UP, but whatever happens, if I have another good week after this one I'll be sure to see a big drop.

Why do our bodies curse us every 4 weeks? It makes everything so confusing!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/205/150

Height: 5'5

It's hard to ignore the scale! I'm a slave to my scale! I can't step away from it. I weigh myself daily (sometimes several times a day). BUT.....my clothes are fitting better, so I know I'm doing something right.
DawnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSC View Post
It's hard to ignore the scale! I'm a slave to my scale! I can't step away from it. I weigh myself daily (sometimes several times a day). BUT.....my clothes are fitting better, so I know I'm doing something right.
I too weigh myself every day. And although I know I shouldn't...for some reason I do. But here's my thing....I do NOT want to weigh myself once a week. I would look forward to that day I weigh in and then if I didn't lose any weight that week I would be super dissapointed. So I guess I would rather be a little dissapointed daily than super dissapointed on that weigh in day!
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

"they" are now saying that most people who are sucessful at loosing weight weigh daily, not weekly as it used to be reccommended. i for one was checking my wieght every morning the last time i successfully lost significant weight, and i still do it. i think it helps keep me in check.
seeing that # first thing in the am lets me know how much leeway i have with my food choices for the day.

like everything, it's subjective. whatever works best for you.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebea View Post
"they" are now saying that most people who are sucessful at loosing weight weigh daily, not weekly as it used to be reccommended.
Now that you mention that, I remember reading that somewhere too.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #6  
One step at a time...

I like to weight twice a week. The mid-week check tells me if I am on the right track but usually neither freaks me out nor gives me false confidence.

But weighing at all during TOM should be forbidden...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

[QUOTE=But weighing at all during TOM should be forbidden...[/QUOTE]

agreed

actually now that i'm older, i don't obsess over it as much. i try to step on it, but if i don't i'm not too worried. i can kind of gage where i am wieght wise based on what i know i ate the previous day and how i feel.

it is nice to see it though when the number is actually going down. i find it motivates me when i see the number and it is smaller than what it was when i started, even if it's not actively moving down for a few days.

Last edited by kaebea; 06-16-2009 at 08:15 PM.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #8  
One step at a time...

Old habits die hard. I weighed again this morning and was back down to my WI from last Friday. Looks like I'm on track still for a small loss this week. Still hoping for a nice big one next week though!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #9  

My scale hasn't moved since last Friday! Grrrrrrrrrr! What happened to that 2 pounds/week I was losing?

Somebody slap me!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #10  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have found that I can step on my scale repeatedly and the weight changes each time I step on it (within a minute of each weigh in)...I think I need a wider platform...cause depending on how I'm distributing my weight the scale (digital) changes each time (within 2 lbs) and it is hard to know what my true weight is for that weigh in. I can't afford to go to the doctor to get weighed in weekly...what should I do?
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #11  
On my way to a size 10!

Oh & I used to weigh myself daily, but I am trying to stick to weekly (Friday mornings).
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #12  
One step at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJubilee View Post
I have found that I can step on my scale repeatedly and the weight changes each time I step on it (within a minute of each weigh in)...I think I need a wider platform...cause depending on how I'm distributing my weight the scale (digital) changes each time (within 2 lbs) and it is hard to know what my true weight is for that weigh in. I can't afford to go to the doctor to get weighed in weekly...what should I do?
All I can think to suggest is to weigh yourself 3 times and take the average. Does it bounce around, or does it only go up or down?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #13  

If I do that I always go with the lower #!! Always.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #14  
On my way to a size 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
All I can think to suggest is to weigh yourself 3 times and take the average. Does it bounce around, or does it only go up or down?
It is a digital scale...weight watchers I think. I got it at Target.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #15  

I've seen that with my digital scale too. Urgh! I will just weigh a few times and take whatever number repeatedly comes up (though I'd love to take that lower #)
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote