Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Dieting Saves Money!

My particular failing is soda, canned soda, and I insist on the good stuff. No store brand for me. I'd rather have one Pepsi than a dozen store colas! I used to have a minimum of three per day and, some days, I'd have four! I still have it, but a LOT less. DH is also having less. He used to drink an minimum of three per day, often four even five. I figure we're going to save at least $500 this year on soda pop alone. And, I'm eating less of something, right? That "something" wasn't free either. We are eating more veggies, but many of them are frozen and $1/lb. So, if they're replacing $3-6/lb meat, that's savings. I know for sure DH ate half his usual amount of beef stroganoff last night because I served a heaping side of veggies with it. So, he's having the leftovers for lunch today. My cost of one meal became two with the addition of a $1 bag of frozen veggies.

We rarely ever ate out even before my diet, so we haven't had that savings, but that could be huge for some!
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I noticed the savings with olive oil too. I used to go through a 1L bottle of olive oil a month, now it lasts a lot longer because I measure, measure, measure.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Sure, dieting might save a little money...until you lose some weight, look more fabulous and the clothes shopping begins...
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 328/276/140

Height: 5'4"

The one saving all the money not eating out is me...now that I bring my lunch and snacks to work everyday, I am saving about $50 a week.
Boomcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcha View Post
The one saving all the money not eating out is me...now that I bring my lunch and snacks to work everyday, I am saving about $50 a week.
That's great! I really need to get back to planning and shopping better. It's when I don't plan right that I end up running out for fast food or pizza. NOT the best thing to end up doing a couple times a week, especially with 4 of us!
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #6  
Diana

Height: 5' 4"

We're saving LOADS by not going out to eat too!! We're planning our meals on Sunday to begin our week. I mainly plan our suppers, but when I go to store I make sure I have lunch stuff too, although I rarely go out for lunch unless I'm out doing errands and don't eat before I leave (not very common before, but it's RARE now that I eat lunch out). I, too, won't be saving a whole lot when my clothes get too big (IF that ever happens....I'm so inpatient! I know it will, but I want it now!!) I'm gonna enjoy buying new clothes again, just like I did with the first 30 I lost back in '04! I can't wait.
GainingWeightInLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I feel like I'm spending MORE money because I'm particular about what I eat. Its not a super big deal but I'm really trying to stay within a certain grocery budget.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #8  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I am aware of big savings as well. I no longer buy breakfast and lunch at work (14-20/ day).-- ((ridiculous, but I really was spending that on fairly large very unhealthy portions. And I felt so guilty.)) And I avoid paying subway fare (2/day) when I run to my commuter train from work instead of taking the NYC subway. DH says I should swim accross the river too
So, I no longer feel guilty about the mani-pedi .... I would have spent it and felt bad. Now I just feel deserving!!

can you dig that??

Last edited by kittycat40; 05-14-2008 at 05:07 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote