3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Dieting Saves Money! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/141194-dieting-saves-money.html)

LessEveryDay 04-30-2008 01:34 PM

Dieting Saves Money!

My particular failing is soda, canned soda, and I insist on the good stuff. No store brand for me. I'd rather have one Pepsi than a dozen store colas! I used to have a minimum of three per day and, some days, I'd have four! I still have it, but a LOT less. DH is also having less. He used to drink an minimum of three per day, often four even five. I figure we're going to save at least $500 this year on soda pop alone. And, I'm eating less of something, right? That "something" wasn't free either. We are eating more veggies, but many of them are frozen and $1/lb. So, if they're replacing $3-6/lb meat, that's savings. I know for sure DH ate half his usual amount of beef stroganoff last night because I served a heaping side of veggies with it. So, he's having the leftovers for lunch today. My cost of one meal became two with the addition of a $1 bag of frozen veggies.

We rarely ever ate out even before my diet, so we haven't had that savings, but that could be huge for some!

zenor77 04-30-2008 02:17 PM

I noticed the savings with olive oil too. I used to go through a 1L bottle of olive oil a month, now it lasts a lot longer because I measure, measure, measure.

Glory87 04-30-2008 03:56 PM

Sure, dieting might save a little money...until you lose some weight, look more fabulous and the clothes shopping begins...

Boomcha 05-05-2008 08:28 PM

The one saving all the money not eating out is me...now that I bring my lunch and snacks to work everyday, I am saving about $50 a week.

luvmyfam 05-05-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomcha (Post 2187089)
The one saving all the money not eating out is me...now that I bring my lunch and snacks to work everyday, I am saving about $50 a week.

That's great! I really need to get back to planning and shopping better. It's when I don't plan right that I end up running out for fast food or pizza. NOT the best thing to end up doing a couple times a week, especially with 4 of us!

GainingWeightInLa 05-06-2008 08:09 AM

We're saving LOADS by not going out to eat too!! We're planning our meals on Sunday to begin our week. I mainly plan our suppers, but when I go to store I make sure I have lunch stuff too, although I rarely go out for lunch unless I'm out doing errands and don't eat before I leave (not very common before, but it's RARE now that I eat lunch out). I, too, won't be saving a whole lot when my clothes get too big (IF that ever happens....I'm so inpatient! I know it will, but I want it now!!) I'm gonna enjoy buying new clothes again, just like I did with the first 30 I lost back in '04! :) I can't wait.

LandonsBaby 05-10-2008 01:47 AM

I feel like I'm spending MORE money because I'm particular about what I eat. Its not a super big deal but I'm really trying to stay within a certain grocery budget.

kittycat40 05-14-2008 05:05 PM

I am aware of big savings as well. I no longer buy breakfast and lunch at work (14-20/ day).-- ((ridiculous, but I really was spending that on fairly large very unhealthy portions. And I felt so guilty.)) And I avoid paying subway fare (2/day) when I run to my commuter train from work instead of taking the NYC subway. DH says I should swim accross the river too ;)
So, I no longer feel guilty about the mani-pedi .... I would have spent it and felt bad. Now I just feel deserving!!

can you dig that?? :)