Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up JULY NSV's

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the actual number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. So let's start filling it up!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

First NSV of the month, and it's pretty silly, but that's okay.

Today I was headed over to Starbucks on my lunch break for an iced Americano (black espresso, negligible calories!) and the UPS guy turned onto the street just as I stepped out into it. I ran to get out of his way and instead of thinking, "God, he's looking at my fat jiggle", I thought, "Wow, this new shirt really fits well!"

It's a medium 'girl cut', so that's kind of a big deal. But better still was not being self-conscious about running on a downtown street during the lunch hour when everyone's out wandering around.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #3  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Yesterday was very much a social day and I could have easily overindulged and didn't. At the bar that evening, I just had two "captain and diets" and was the first one out of our group of 10 to leave the bar. I also got plenty of walking in.

I'm feeling good that I made good choices!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #4  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I bought a new pair of jeans back this spring, size 16. I was a 22 at the time. 16 misses, not 16W. Well, yesterday I wore them for the first time. And they looked GREAT. I have to say, I really looked outstanding and just like a large normal-sized person, not like an obese person.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #5  
active kids, active mom

I have a huge one from today. We had a building BBQ and then went down to the beach to watch fireworks. Our tradition is to bring ice cream sundaes to the beach for the fireworks. This year, not only did I stay 100% on plan at the BBQ, but I had a fruit salad INSTEAD of an ice cream sundae AND...wait...here''s the kicker -- I DID NOT FEEL DEPRIVED!!!!
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I went to buy new jeans today, as my old ones were falling off. I bought the previous pair in October and they were an unattractively tight 22 (I should have bought a 24 but got them online and didn't want to return them).

Imagine my surprise when buying my jeans today (flattering Liz and Co.) when I could fit comfortably into a 20 and a little tightly in an 18! I've lost around 25 pounds and can't really see it, but the pants don't lie.

Though the 18s would button, the 20s were much more flattering, so I bought two pair in different washes. I am determined to keep losing (and need to do a little better on my food) and am aiming for my next pair to be size 16!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I have a 4th of July NSV! I got off work early yesterday, so I was able to make it to the grill-out my family was having at home. Previously, I had just asked my Dad to make me some food and set it aside (baked salmon and some steamed veggies and potatoes) and I'd eat it when I got home late. I had pointed it all out and had my plan.

Well, since I got home early, I was there for all the salads and h'or doeurves that I would have missed had I been at work. They looked yummy...and they were healthy (grape tomato and avocado salad, grilled peaches, etc.) so I had some...along with some unplanned rice/carrot/raisin mix and a handful of peanut M&Ms for dessert. Normally, this would have been enough to send me into a binge. I thought I'd "ruined" the day, because certainly I'd eaten more than my points allowance.

But I didn't. I didn't binge. I thought, "You had a high-calorie, still mostly healthy dinner...that is no reason to throw yourself down the proverbial flight of stairs." So I stopped after my small handful of M&Ms, and I DID NOT eat any of the cookies/other junk that are constantly on display in my house. I drank water. I watched awesome fireworks. I felt good about myself when I went to bed. I certainly would not have felt good about myself had I binged. And, even better, I can continue my binge-free days count (27!)

(And I know this is supposed to be a Non-Scale thread, but I have to throw this in here...I was down 1lb this morning! I was always skeptic of calorie-cycling, thinking high-calorie days would throw me off....now I might have to rethink that!)
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Today, at Costco, I took a giant leap of faith and bought a pair of size 14 jeans.

I believe the last time I fit into a pair of size 14 jeans I was in the 5th grade.

I brought them home and held them up against my size 16 Costco jeans I bought early early spring...unsure as to whether they fit. (I wore them for the first time on Friday.) They are only about 1" smaller on each side when you stretch both pairs out.

Um, I think they might fit before September 1st... these aren't Lane Bryant jeans, or 14Ws....they are Gloria Vanderbilt 14 average.

I'm kinda scared...
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

My NSV for today is that I'm wearing size 12 jeans. They are snug, but they're wearable. This is the first time in my recollection that I've fit into size 12 anything, and it's especially exciting because TOM is due to start tomorrow.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

June was a rough month for me in multiple ways. On the weight front, it was the first month that I did not lose my 5 pound minimal goal that I have set in mind. Last night I took my measurements. I may not have lost the 5 pounds but I lost 2 inches from my waist. That made me feel better about June!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 279.5/195.5/166

Height: 5' 11"

My NSV for July is seeing the little pop of muscles emerging from underneath the fat.

I can see a little bicep as well as feel a hardening in my tricep. Today I am wearing heels and am starting to see definition in my calf!

I bought a pair of irregular Levis--marked size 16 for $9.99. For 2 months I have tried to wiggle them on. Last night I was able to finally pull them up over my hips--can't zip or button them yet, that victory will come soon though!
msim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #12  

Today, my parents decided to get pizza for dinner. And not just any pizza, my favorite veggie pizza from American Dream(for the PACNW people, it's GREAT). But I decided not to eat too much, so for dinner today I had a shrimp salad, but since deprivation leads to diet downfalls I had half a slice of pizza. And stopped at that.

All that remains is to resist the leftovers...oh boy
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

This spring I bought a shirt that was tight and I had to wear it with a shell underneath. Around the first of June I could button the shirt and stopped wearing the shell with it. I put it on this morning and it is loose!

This is very encouraging to me because I am not seeing the scale move very much.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #14  
Searching

I put on a favorite nightie from the year before (for whatever reason I haven't worn it since October) and its huge! What use to cling, bags on me, and it's down to my knees (I have skirts that are shorter )

Secondly my fella told me my shirt was getting too big for me. He said, "That top use to cling your curves nicely, now it kinda hangs." Someone else noticed, someone that sees me ALMOST every day
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

this is about my scales - I have one of those scales that tells you the world about yourself. When I first started using it something it measured was outside it's range so I had to lie about my height to use it. This past week, I wanted to see if I had changed enough to use my actual profile and I have. Which is great because many of the recordings were off because of my taller entry.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote