Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #1  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Oatmeal and fiber question

Dear Fabulous Fiber Fanatics,

I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast for the last couple of weeks now. Everyone says it is SOOOO good for you and I always thought that was because it was high in fiber.

But I was looking at some other cereals today and many of them have MORE fiber than oatmeal. So, is oatmeal actually better than something like Shredded Wheat ? Why? Is it because of the insoluble/soluble thing? I ask because I don't really like oatmeal all that much.

Signed,

Confused in the Cereal CheckOut
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I eat weight control oatmeal, it has 6 grams of fiber. But I think that fiber one cereals might have more. It may be a soluble/insoluble thing, I'd prolly bet on it.

What kind do you eat? I eat the banana nut bread and the maple brown sugar. It has 160 calories, 6 grams of fiber and I think 8 grams of protein. I even started making oatmeal pancakes and drizzling them with sugar free syrup. Those are good. I know people say ONLY EAT THE STEEL CUT OATS! But honestly I have a package of those and they have the same fiber as the weight control ones and the weight control taste A LOT better with flavors etc, and i'm willing to spend the extra few calories so that I can eat something relatively healthy that I wouldn't eat at all if it weren't for this as an alternative.

Other foods high in fiber are various fruits/veggies, I eat apples, bananas and prunes every day, I also eat black beans often, and whole wheat/grain english muffins and sandwhich thins (8 grams and 6 grams for the latter). I also eat fiber one muffins for breakfast about every other day. (5 grams) Today I got 41 grams of fiber.

If you need any ideas I can link you to my daily plate and you can check out various sources of fiber and where I get them.

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Oatmeal has the souble fiber that helps lower cholesterol.

May I ask what kind of oatmeal you eat and what you put in it? I just wonder if you might like a different type of oatmeal... instant is not anything like steel cut which is nothing like rolled. And the add ins can make a fabulous dish.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #4  

Steel cut/instant/rolled/quick oats all have the same nutritional content as far as fiber/calories etc is concerned. Rolled oats are just steel cut oats, flattened. Instant oats are just rolled oats, chopped up. So go with your taste preference.

My fave bowl of oatmeal:

1/3 c rolled or quick oats cooked in 2/3 c water with a dash of salt. Add cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, 1 T ground flax, vanilla, and 1/3-1/2 c canned pumpkin puree. Cook through. Then I add 1 tsp brown sugar. I top this in the bowl with 1T toasted walnuts and 1 tsp real maple syrup, and a small bit of 2% milk. Heaven!!! And very nutritious.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I like steel cut oatmeal a lot. My breakfast this morning was....

1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats cooked ahead of time
1/4 cup butternut squash puree
1/4 cup natural no sugar added applesauce
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
a bit of cinnamon

I stirred and heated up in the microwave for 2 minutes, it was soo good. I plan to have the same for breakfast tomorrow.

Last edited by nelie; 01-30-2009 at 10:43 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like oatmeal too. My Fiber One cereal that I purchase is much higher in fiber though...it has 14 grams of fiber and is has just 60 calories for 1/2 a cup as opposed to 150 for oatmeal. I find that my oatmeal is more filling. Partially, it could be that it is so warm and dense as opposed to cold or dry cereal. I love your pumpkin idea so I will try it soon. I usually eat mine with 1/2 diced apple and maybe some cinnamon. I also like putting in blueberries. Learning about healthy food can such an adventure. Have fun!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #7  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

WOW! Lots of fiber fanatics! Thank you all for the information.

I eat Quaker rolled oats (which I didn't know was rolled oats until just now when I went and read the package). I put 1/2 cup in a bowl with milk and nuke it for 90 seconds or so. It looks like thick wallpaper paste. Then I add a vanilla fat-free yogurt, salt, cinnamon and a handful of almonds.

And I try to find something interesting on the computer or in the paper to read to distract me from the taste.

I will definitely look for the weight control version, Lottie --- that is a great idea. And I am absolutely shocked that you guys have RECIPES for oatmeal! And they sound pretty good, like a healthy pumpkin pie.

I have to say, though, that a cereal that delivers 14 grams of fiber per serving is sort of scary --- the way I used to eat, I doubt I was getting 14 grams a DAY! LOL

Thanks for all the good ideas --- the folks in this board are just awesome!

Last edited by Numina; 01-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #8  

Oh I love my oatmeal! I think the nuking + yogurt is what's turning you off. Either instant or cooking on the stove would give you a nicer texture and taste. Let me give you a couple more ideas, because did I say I love oatmeal??

Sometimes I make the oatmeal without pumpkin, and I add a spoonful of peanut butter. YUMMY.

And sometimes when I feel indulgent, I make 1/2 c oats cooked in 1 c water with a dash of salt. When it's done cooking, I add vanilla, 1 -2 tsp brown sugar, and 2 or 3 sprays of I Cant Believe Its Not Butter Spray. Mix it up, put in a bowl, and sprinkle in 1 T semisweet chocolate chips. Push them in with your spoon but dont stir. They melt and it's like a big choc chip cookie

Also love oatmeal with cinnamon and blueberries.

Okay, I'll stop now, lol Quaker flew me in to their headquarters last year and I am just hooked!!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #9  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I must be weird. My version of oatmeal is 1/2 cup, add water, nuke. Then add splenda and some cinnamon. If I'm feeling frivolous, or particularly awake, then I'll add some fruit.

All of the oatmeal recipes sound great though. I should try them on the weekends when I get to sleep in!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #10  

Height: 5ft6'

I eat the Quaker Oats instant pack add water and nuke kind . I like the apple cinnamon. It's only like 160 calories so no measuring and I have a hard time finishing it fills me up so much. I waaaaaay prefer cereal for taste but I just find that the oatmeal keeps me quite full till like 10 or 11. I usualy have it at like 7am. So thats a big deal for me.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I didn't know that instant had the same fiber content as steel cut. Now, I know there's lots of sugar unless you can find a low or no sugar variety. A few years ago, I found a boxed variety of instant oatmeal with no sugar or sweeteners added, and I loved it. When I say boxed, there were no packets, just a box and directions for serving size on the back. I found it in the health food section of a grocery store, but I've not found it since.

I did always wonder why even sweetened oatmeal kept me full for quite a long time (whereas if I eat anything else with sugar in it, I'm starving minutes later).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I personally don't like the idea of eating instant oatmeal. For one, regular oatmeal takes the same amount of time in the microwave. For another, they 'do something' to instant to make it instant and it is supposed to have a higher GI than regular oatmeal. Not that I eat things exclusively by GI or GL but I do look at it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #13  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

ive been eating steel cut oats cause Ive heard all the raves about it. I think it is healthier for you cause they leave all of the grain instead of taking part of it. I like them, they have a different texture than quick oats and I like it.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #14  
Ray of Sunshine

S/C/G: 243/241/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm on the oatmeal wagon too! It does me good for some hot morning comfort food on cold winter days I'm old school, I buy the big tubs of rolled oats...I like em' rolled and it's more economical for my wallet. I make it on the stove top...which in the end only takes me about 10 minutes. My BF and I use sugar free maple syrup to sweeten it, sometimes throw in apple pie spice (or some cinnamon/nutmeg combination) I like it with some raisins and raw almond slivers... he likes it with fresh cranberries...If you like your cranberries sweeter, they can be cooked separately in the sugar free syrup then added to the oatmeal.
Regardless of fiber, I won't do any sort of cold cereal while the weather is super cold
YogaGal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #15  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I love my oatmeal!
I either have it blended up into protein pancakes, or I do one of two preparations:

1/2 cup oats cooked with pumpkin pie spice and a tsp of brown sugar. After it's done, stir in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin and top with toasted pecans or almonds (and wheatberries lately). Today's brekkie

1/2 cup oats cooked with cinnamon and 1/2 of a very ripe banana. The banana breaks down as the oats cook. Topped with 2 tsp of natural peanut butter and some wheat berries. Mmmmmm......
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote