Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

To make it instant, they just chop it really small so it cooks faster. Nothing's taken out though, it's still whole grain. Supposedly the glycemic index of steel cut is lower than instant but that's debatable.

But whichever kind you choose, it's good for you, so go with the one you enjoy the most (and with the least sugar if possible!)

Cocoa is also very good stirred into oatmeal. Mmmm, chocolate oatmeal! I add a bit of agave nectar and some peanut butter. Yum.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I LOVE OATMEAL. I dont like 1minute or instant though. I just like the Old Fashioned ones. I haven't tried steel cut though. I just boil mine for 5 min, add a little splenda, some Nature Balance butter, skim milk and lately, tons of cinnamon.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #18  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I personally don't like the idea of eating instant oatmeal. For one, regular oatmeal takes the same amount of time in the microwave.
Ahh... no so fast my dear! Instant oatmeal in the flavored packets are a LIFESAVER for someone who works in a place with one microwave for 100 people... it is WAY quicker to take my packet, put it in a bowl, and pour the hot water from the water cooler into it--- pour, stir, and eat-- a few seconds worth of time!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewJen View Post
Ahh... no so fast my dear! Instant oatmeal in the flavored packets are a LIFESAVER for someone who works in a place with one microwave for 100 people... it is WAY quicker to take my packet, put it in a bowl, and pour the hot water from the water cooler into it--- pour, stir, and eat-- a few seconds worth of time!
Well that is why I said I personally don't like the idea of eating instant oatmeal Other people may find things that find in their lifestyle that works for them. Although I'm an odd one, I can eat regular oatmeal soaked in soy milk without heating it up. I think its pretty good but then others like hot oatmeal.

Last edited by nelie; 02-03-2009 at 01:30 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #20  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I eat the regular oatmeal, nuked with water, then add a small amount of yogurt or sometimes (gasp) a tsp of sugar.

I always thought it was high fiber too, I must check next time I buy a new pkt, it's all loose in a storage box now. What I find best about oatmeal is it's settling/balancing effect. If I've eaten really badly the day before, maybe feeling a bit gripey, the oatmeal kind of sweeps everything up gently and sets me up for the day.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #21  
returning to myself

I'm a purist...I like rolled oats with a little sweetener and FF half and half....nothing else. I love the taste of the actual oatmeal.
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #22  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I love oatmeal but I would have to say if you have tried it a variety of ways and still don't like it you can get soluable fiber in other ways, like barley. I don't believe in forcing myself to eat somthing JUST because it's good for me. There are lots of healthy options out there. Research, experiment. No point in hating what you are eating.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote