South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Default South Beach; Life time commitment??

Hey all,

I am ready to jump on the South Beach bandwagon again. I want to dedicate myself to this program because I want to rid myself of my sugar addiction. My fear is...Can I really stick with this program for life? When I say that, I mean can I adventually add sugar back into my diet. For example, next Christmas can I have a candy cane or peace of pie without gaining 5 pounds? If not, I dont think I can deal with such a restrictive plan. Yes, I have read the book...twice. I am one day one (AGAIN). Any input would be appreciated!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Royal Athena! Welcome to the SB forum. I know I've seen your posts on the 100-lb club before. I don't know the answer to your question. In the book, on Ph3 you can have occasional indulgences. For me, SBD is a lifetime commitment. And I know the more I stay on plan, the less I want to eat the sweet stuff. And when I let myself indulge, the more I want to indulge. However, I don't think it's reasonable to believe I will never eat sweet treats again. I hope to be able to figure out what works for me for the long run. That may mean that there are some sweets I can indulge in and others I will need to stay away from. Like everything in this weight loss journey, I think it's very individual. One of our posters here, Cat, is maintaining her loss on SBD, and I know she has treats on occasion. Maybe she will pop in here with more wisdom than I can offer.

By the way, your loss so far is amazing and inspirational!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 12-11-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #3  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

As with every diet, you're looking for a lifestyle change. South beach is just that. You will and can lose the weight and every once in a while treat yourself. A candycane isn't going to make you gain 5 lbs :P
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I think everyone who sticks with this learns what they can and can't have as an occasional treat. I do think it can be a problem going into this planning to reach your goal so you can go off plan. I know that for me that's the difference between a diet and a lifestyle change, and diets always led me to regaining all the weight and then some.

I hit my goal weight and then went a little out of control (5 lbs) and I had to buckle down again. I can't ever indulge in anything with high fructose corn syrup, it sends me over the edge and out of control and I have to approach chocolate carefully. I seem to have sugar issues

Of course not everyone has that experience and Cat is a great example of getting it right in Phase 3.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #5  

I am in Phase 2 and occasionally I have something sweet. I know I will still eat SBD when I eventually reach my goal (6 lbs), but I know I can have that piece of cake, if I want it. I just don't eat as big a piece and a few bites usually does the trick.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #6  
SB Fan

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5'8.5

I think that is also one of the differences between Atkins and South Beach. I was told by many Atkins fans that you can only really do Atkins twice and after that your body just doesn't respond to it. I don't know how true that is but I know that I went down in a blaze of pasta from Atkins twice. I knew it could never be a lifetime commitment for me.
South Beach at least allows you to go back and regain the ground you lost.

I have an awful time with sugar. My hunger knows no bounds with it. I've notice that I eat less with South Beach. Granted I'm only on phase 1 and I'm transitioning to phase 2 but I've felt more success and feel like this a lifestyle I can manage more than on any other diet I have been on.

To be honest the worst diet for me was Weight Watchers! Crazy I know. But with my sweet tooth/sugar issues I spent more time trying to get the most out of my points sugarwise that I never really learned to eat healthy. I'm like a walking encyclopedia of 1-2 point desserts. LOL. Plus it made me think about food ALL the time.

Last edited by jazzer09; 12-11-2008 at 10:12 PM.
jazzer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Athena - I was just thinking about you the other day. Your avatar is so adorable.

To pantomime the other posters, I do think this is something one can do for life. Eventually it will become just a way of life instead of a diet. It is, in essence, just a healthy way of eating. I guess at some point, we really have to ask ourselves if we're eating to live or living to eat - and if we're eating to live if that means that we must have cake every day.

I don't think that small indulgences once in awhile will sidetrack me enough that I cannot continue BUT I'm not willing to risk it too soon into the plan. I got overweight by not paying attention to what I was eating and I know that the only way I'm going to be at a healthy weight is to pay attention.

Do I think you could have a candy cane next holiday season? Sure. I do believe there are sugar free ones on the market, actually. I would just make sure it's one candy cane and not one after another.

Welcome back and good luck to you!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

Hello! I'll throw my 2 cents in here As I approach SB, for the second time, this week, after slowly falling off throughout November, I'm really evaluating my feelings about sugar. I think the conclusion I've reached is that I am truly addicted, just as any other addict cannot quit their drug of choice. And in order for an addict to quit, they have to work really hard, and resist a lot of temptation, to succeed. I really don't want to "relapse" again. I'll eat sugar free for the rest of my life if i have to. I don't want to be powerless to resist unhealthy foods, and I want to make smart choices so I can set a good example for my young son. So, for me, it has to be a lifestyle, because its all or nothing like any other addictive drug.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #9  

Interesting topic...Yes, we all are different in our approach to food and to SB...I lost 30 pounds initially on SB beginning in May, 07...Since that time, I have had very little sugar...Not that I don't think I can eat something sweet and not gain 5 pounds but rather I don't want the cravings to return...For me, this was the beauty of SB...no cravings!!!!...I would gladly forego having sugar in my life forever if I could continue to live without wanting things that I know aren't healthy or size safe...I adore fruit, diet jello with kw...For now these treats are more than enough and I am keeping my weight off solidly on the number that I lost to...
Again, we are all different...Just a blessing that we are and a blessing that SB is out there for us...
crutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutcher View Post
Interesting topic...Yes, we all are different in our approach to food and to SB...I lost 30 pounds initially on SB beginning in May, 07...Since that time, I have had very little sugar...Not that I don't think I can eat something sweet and not gain 5 pounds but rather I don't want the cravings to return...For me, this was the beauty of SB...no cravings!!!!...
I started in May also, and lost the same amount of weight My mistake was thinking I could handle sugar again when i clearly cannot. it starts with a little something here, a little indulgence there, and then suddenly your baking brownies and eating them all before anyone gets home. or walking to the store to buy cookies and eating them on the walk back. I can be pretty ridiculous...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I work with a woman who noticed my weight loss. She asked me how I was doing it. I told her I was avoiding white foods.
She then told me to stay away from "that south beach diet."

"My son did that diet and lost 50 pounds. Then he stopped and gained it all back."

uhhh, duhhh??? but I smiled blandly.

OK, i reread that and it seemed harsh--
edited to add-- no I don't think you cannot go off plan (unless, as stated above you cannot handle off plan -hard for me--b/c it is a trigger) but as mentioned all around this town.... diets don't work...

lifestyle change does.

Last edited by kittycat40; 12-12-2008 at 08:25 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #12  

lol. someone told me the same thing when i started SB. she said "as soon as you eat white bread again, all your weight comes back!" duh... that's why i won't be eating white bread anymore! obviously when you reintroduce UNhealthy foods, undesired results are achieved. the problem is that people want a quick fix, they want to do something for a little while, lose the weight they want to lose, and then go back to their same unhealthy lifestyles and expect to maintain. While it would be nice, it just doesn't work that way.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have maintained my loss for over 6 months now and this is the first plan that I think I can stay on for a lifetime. It is a little hard sometimes. There is so much "white" food and junk out there. But I am really satisfied with the South Beach way of eating and so happy and content with how I feel that I have no problem eating this way forever. I have occasional treats, just like Dr. A addressess in Phase III and occasionally I will pig out for a day or two, but as soon as I get back on plan (sometimes Phase I for a day or two) my weight settles right back where I want it to and I go on my merry way. I was never able to do that on Weight Watchers.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #14  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by baristamon View Post
I started in May also, and lost the same amount of weight My mistake was thinking I could handle sugar again when i clearly cannot. it starts with a little something here, a little indulgence there, and then suddenly your baking brownies and eating them all before anyone gets home. or walking to the store to buy cookies and eating them on the walk back. I can be pretty ridiculous...
Baristamon, Just read your post...so glad you shared...I will definitely take your experience with me through this holiday...I am very careful around celebration times...SB has worked for me as no other plan ever did...The longer I am away from sugar, the less I want it...I over-do on nuts, on popcorn but I have maybe had two cookies in the last 18 or so months...no cake, pie or ice cream...Believe me, I have tried other diets...take your pick...WW was ok, lost the weight but constantly struggled to keep it off...One binge and I was gone...This time, knock on wood, throw pixie dust over my shoulder, is successful...I know that giving up sugar and having no 'just this once' is the key for me ...as I said we are all different...Thanks for sharing your experience!
crutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #15  

no problem! i made it through today without any extreme urges to pop something sweet in my mouth. see, where i work, i sell food (well, pastries) and when something breaks, usually we sample it to customers, while taking a little nip of our own. It wasn't extremely hard to hand a broken chocolate chunk cookie to a co-worker and say, "oops! can you sample this out for me?"
ordinarily, a piece or 2 would end up in my mouth before it made it to the little paper cups. My goal is the "nothing" part of the phrase "all or nothing" !