Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #1  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Default 50 Pounds gone but I don't see much of a difference

I have now lost 50 pounds. I am very proud of myself. With the help of God, my husband and so many great people at this site. I have changed how I think about, look at and eat food. I eat a healthy diet now that includes all the required amounts of the four basic food groups. I do walking/aerobic videos Monday to Friday ( usually between 4 to 6 miles each day) and three times a week I do about 40 min of some kind of resistance training. I know what I am doing is good for me. I know I am losing weight in a healthy manner. What I don't know is why I just don't see much of a difference when I look in the mirror.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Shy,

It is tough to see you frustrated about something - you're such an inspiration to so many people! I promise you there IS a difference, and you know there is. It's just that it takes awhile for your brain to catch up to the rest of you.
50lbs ago you wouldn't have been buying size L shirts to have "baggy" clothes, and you wouldn't have bracelets falling off your wrists, would you?
I've lost 80lbs over the last 4 years, almost, and 30 of that has been within the last 6 months. sometimes i look in the mirror and see myself as my old size 22. other times i do see myself as i am.. it changes. i will get upset because i feel like i should look better than i do, i've worked SO HARD and lost SO MUCH.
And then I remember that me 6 months ago wouldn't have ever DARED even think about trying on a size 8 jean - they wouldn't have fit over my hips. 4 years and 80lbs ago they wouldn't have made it past my knees. and now not only do they fit over my hips, they button and zip and FIT.
It's ok to get frustrated sometimes, but remember how hard you've worked, how much healthier you are now, and what a positive inspritation you are to so many people here! Your eyes and brain WILL catch up, just give it time
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: S278/C227/G150

Height: 5'9"

I'll bet there's a big difference to how you look. You may not see it, but dollars to doughnuts everyone else does.

Especially at your height, losing 50 lbs will be very noticeable. Heck, I'm 5'9" and I haven't lost as much as you, but every time I look in the mirror I can see those 35 lbs gone. It's made quite the difference.

You've done fantastically well! I wish I was 50 lbs down! Embrace the emerging thin lady!
wanderingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Congratulations on your loss!

It's good to keep in mind that basic body shape isn't likely to change with weight loss. Put another way, if you are someone who gains in your midsection, you're likely to still have a larger midsection. If you gain on your hips, you'll likely still have larger hips.

You can change body shape somewhat with exercise to firm up different areas.

I've lost a similar amount of weight in a similar range, as you can see. I do notice a big difference in clothing sizes, from size 20 to size 14 petite (12 regular). But, that's still me in the mirror.

But it's OK! In daily life, no one knows what's under my clothes.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Did you take some before and after pics so you can look at them and compare... I found that this has helped me a LOT...

Congrats BTW on you fataboulous weight loss so far

Last edited by Ilene; 03-15-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #6  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel Shy Moment. When i dropped from 165 to 135 a few years ago i had NO concept of how much weight i lost (and that was only 30lbs). It wasn't until i saw pictures of myself at both weights that *I* could really see the difference. (even though everyone else saw it already of course).
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Shy- Congratulations!!!

Oh, be sure that there IS a difference. It's often that we can't see it, because we see ourselves every day.

You're such an inspiration, because every week you just keep doing what you're doing at your own pace. Sticking with it, because that's what needs to be done.

I bet your family notices a difference!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Bless your heart...maybe it;s because you see yourself everyday and you see no change,kinda like watching your kids grow up or even yourself growing older for instance,that's all it is,don't be so hard on yourself,OK?
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #9  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Hi Shy,
I am sure there is a big difference, just try on some of those old clothes. I am the same height as you and I have some great news for you.......
YOU ARE NOW NO LONGER OBESE! That is it 148 ish = no longer OBESE, isn't that the most awesome thing ever! YOU GO GIRL!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I couldn't see it after I'd lost the first 40 or so lbs and my friends kept telling me I had. It didn't click with me until I realized that my pants were falling off and I went to buy new ones. When I bought my first pair of size 16 pants, I suddenly *saw* it for myself. But until then, I couldn't see the weight loss that others could.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 181/181/145

Height: 5'6

It's because you see yourself everyday! Seriously, I know I'm losing when a complete stranger, or acquaintance, says hey you look good, you've lost weight since I saw you last month etc.... And it's true, but the lbs I lost were not as many as the inches I lost around my waist. I'm sure you look great! 50 lbs a serious accomplishment.... you will surely hit your goal

Last edited by ashisback; 03-16-2008 at 12:57 AM.
ashisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/210/207

Height: 5'10"

Like others said. You may not really notice it yet but I'm sure others have. You're doing great, 50 lbs is a great achievement. Be proud of yourself!
Nancy CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

You are an inspiration! I am certain that others notice your accomplishments, even if you can't yet see it...Way to go!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #14  
Mel

Do you have any of your old pants or shirts? I bet they are HUGE on you!

You see yourself everyday, and are probably very critical. When you look in the mirror, do you automatically look at your problem spots? I know that I still do. It's very counterproductive. Look at the overall picture- put on those big pants and I bet you'll see you can fit yourself and a pillow in there now!

Just keep on plugging on. As Jay said, our basic body shape doesn't change. If you are short waisted, you will always be short waisted no matter what your weight. Weight training can change your shape quite a lot, but not your skeletal system.

Go look at some old pictures, look in the mirror at the parts of you that have changed, and try on those old clothes! I'm convinced there is a positive difference!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

its hard to believe that a person who is 4'8" doesn't show a large amount of difference wit ha 50 lb wt loss. I think (like others stated) it is because you see yourself daily...therefore you don't see the suttle changes that happen daily/weekly. I bet if you took a pic today and compared it to a pic of when you started you would see the difference. And i'm pretty darn sure everyone around you notices. Good job on the wt loss...50 lbs is AWESOME. you are doing great. Hang in there...i think its just a thing you don't always accept/notice...but trust me..people are noticing. Great job!!!!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote