General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 05:13 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.
http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 02-10-2001, 05:40 AM   #2  
Chick

judi, I think that dream you had is really significant. I have never had a dream like that, but I would take hope from it.

Fri. evening and I feel good about this week. I had more fruit and vegetables than usual and I feel it made a real difference. I just picked up the Feb. 5 issue of Time magazine and it talks about how you can reverse potential disease by taking up a healthy lifestyle. I think it is really convincing and encouraging.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:16 AM   #3  

Hi ladies,

How is everyone doing? Donna, yes I have been busy, but you sound like you're even more busy than I am. I volunteered for a program for the elderly called eldercare. I
met Ms. Stephans today. They had called me
right before I left for Canada, so I did not get a chance to call them until Tuesday. I get home so late that I did not want to call Mrs. Stephans at that time. I finally called her today at work, and poor thing, she told me eldercare had told her someone would be by to go buy her groceries last week. She has been out of bread for three days, and when I got there she told me she ate a hot dog and crackers for dinner. She did not want me to go to the grocery store at night, but I insisted since I would not be able to until Sunday. I told her I did not want her to go without hardly any food until then. Ladies, you would have been proud. She gave me a whole list of things, but only $35.00 to spend. She wanted a 3 lb can of coffee, and you know how expensive coffee can be. I got most of it on sale. The coffee was only $5.00. I bought a huge bag of potatoes for $2.00, normally $4.00. Anyway, I spend more on cat food than I did on all her groceries. I was beaming. Food has been good.....exercising not so good. I need to be snowed in like you Judi. If I don't have anything to do, I'll exercise. Donna, we have a cold front that came in...storms last night, so you probably got them today. Thanks for the cookbook info Ledom....I'm going to try to get to B&N this weekend. It's so exciting about you buying your kayak. I wish I could go with you sometime because it looks like so much fun. Hi Lana and Alice.....hope things are ok with ya'll. Well, I have to be at work tomorrow at 6:00 or 7:00 am. I guess I better get some sleep. Talk to ya'll later and hope y'all have a great weekend.

------------------
shebacat
Old 02-10-2001, 09:24 PM   #4  
Chick

Goodmorng lady friends, Got up early this a.m. to get D off for her ACT test. We had a late night last night. Drove back to my college for a performance by the theatre dept. 3 1 person plays, all womens stories. They were so good made me laugh and made me cry - through were are a small country university I am amazed at the talent I see every day there. Anyway, it wasn't easy to get up this morning. I thought I might crawl back in bed, but I guess not. Got my grocery shopping done before 9. And yes, Shebacat, I am proud of you, not only for being such a good shopper, but for being such a giving person.

A day of cooking ahead. I am having a potluck at my house tonight. This one is designed for the winter doldrums, after a week where we hit the 70's we were in the low 20's last night. Anyway, buidling it around mojitos a lovely rum drink. The foods specs. are spicy. I am making a posole soup and mushroom enchiladas. I'm excited about these recipes because they are low cal, I know the soup is yummy and I suspect the enchiladas will be as well.

donna, you are shaming me in the exercise department. We'll see if I can do better next week. I have been avoiding the scale this week. I think I will continue to for a while. I feel like I am down this week, but I was up last week, just feel like I will wait to weigh until I am sure I won't be depressed by it.

Shebacat, wish you could kayak w/ me too. I found out about an organization that meets once a month, it is statewide, but it has a chapter in my hometown. It is a network of women interested in a wide variety of sports that does things together. Unfortunately they meet the night of my night class, but I still plan on looking into it for when the semester is over.
Old 02-11-2001, 12:31 AM   #5  

Shebacat and Ledom, you two amaze me by how much you can do. You are really SUPER women.

When you have time Ledom a recipe for the mushroom enchiladas would be greatly appreciated. Also can you make a vegetarian posole?

Food wise things have been good. Exercise

Hey, did you see Prevention's "Peanut Butter Diet" in the March issue. Something just for me.

I can see how much easier it is to stay OP when I am at home. I have a week still to go until the DH comes home. Hopefully we won't be going anyplace for a bit.

Goodmorning Bannod and Lana! I miss you Alice and hope to hear from you soon.

[This message has been edited by judi (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 10:25 PM   #6  

Good morning Ledom, Bannod, Alice, and Shebacat. How are you all doing this morning?

It is weigh in Sunday for me and I lost a 1 and 1/2 lbs. That is good because though my food was o.k. last week it wasn't perfect (remember the peanut debacle?). Anyway the peanuts are gone and I am NOT buying anymore so I am going to try for a food "perfect" week. I had mainly Boca burgers this week. A veg. pattie that I just love is "Second Nature." Do you have that in the U.S.? It tastes exactly like extremely lean hamburger and it is only 1.5 points (about 75-80 calories) for one.

Because I was inspired by the fact I was weighing this morning. Last night I finally did some exercise, I did 45 min. on the treadmill and then a few sets of hand weights. Just little 3 lbs. ones.

We still have snow but it is melting. I might go to Vancouver today.

Have a good 'un and I check back later.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:14 PM   #7  
Chick

Judi, You go girl. So you got your hand wieghts out! You're an inspiration.

OK, the Mushroom Epazote Enchiladas are not actually low cal. But they could be I think, the filling and the sauce are low-cal, but the tortillas are deep fried 4 sec. on each side before rolling and then you spread sour cream on top of them. Wouldn't you think the corn tortillas absorbs at least a couple tsp. of oil? The sour cream would be good if you used light, and I had a sample w/out s.c. and it was really ok that way. The pozole is entirely vegetarian and it is lovely.

Looking forward to a good diet week.
Old 02-12-2001, 08:49 AM   #8  

Ledom, could you give us the posole recipe. No rush though, I know you are busy. Posole is one thing I would like to try. I wish I was eating at YOUR place. Yum! I guess I will have a boca burger tonight (I will go with what seems to be working.)

Spent all afternoon walking around and enjoying the sun.

I feel good up this upcoming week too.
Old 02-12-2001, 05:13 PM   #9  
Goddess

I was staying off the computer this weekend so I could get some major housecleaning done. Computer time was going to be my reward. Guess whose housework isn't finished. :-(

I like a soup called Hearty Bean Soup made by Manishewitz. I add curry powder and barley to it as it cooks. The soup with some homemade bread was our dinner last night.

Congrats on the weightloss, Judi!

Donna
Old 02-13-2001, 06:22 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Hello girls,

We are still in deep freeze here... It is extremely cold tonite, 10F, no wind tho so that's a bonus...

Shebacat, it is so thoughtful of you to do this for the elderly. Volunteering is so rewarding... I used to volunteer my time alot with my kids' school, this is how I started supply teaching, then replacing the secretary, and now it has become quite the full time job... I must be doing something right because I have never sent out a resume to any one, it's only from word of mouth... I am lucky...I was only in this school for 2 weeks and one of the teachers gave me a thank you card... I was touched...

I have to go help daughter with homework , be back later....

Ok, I'm back but now I'm so tired I can't think....lol....

Food and exercise wise things are good...but darn it all when am I going to see any pounds lost?? The upside to this is that my clothes are fitting better, and I feel definitely healthier... I know you will come back and tell me that numbers are not what's important, but how we feel, and deep down I do know that, but I wanna SEE it in NUMBERS...LOL.... I'm kidding really, just venting here...thanks for listening...If my eyes weren't burning so much from fatigue, I'd feel more awake...

Everyone seems to be doing well, keeping out of trouble, seeing the first signs of spring everywhere....sigh....alas no spring here at all yet... Not a one sign... sigh....

I bet you all think I'm feeling down, but really I'm not, I'm just trying to see the lighter side to all this cold...lol...sigh...

Good nite.... Bannod, ledom, shebacat, judi.....I hope I didn't miss anyone, and if I did, I'm sorry...

Lana.... ....

[This message has been edited by Lanaii1 (edited 02-12-2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 11:09 AM   #11  

Good evening all!

Had a good day.

I like the Man. soups too. The pea soup is good too and fast. Cooks in 20 min.

We still have snow here too. Some where under it though are my spring bulbs.

I bought two beautiful amaryllis plants about to bloom, only 7.99 each. I can remember before Xmas the bulb alone was anywhere from 14.99 - 16.99. My dear mom had great success with amaryllis. I have a few photographs of her beside this big beautiful blooming plant.

I am finding since I cut sugar out of my diet pretty much I rarely get hungry or have cravings. It was HARD to give up Hagen Daz Dulche con Leche. I am not a real ice cream eater but I loved that one.

Yeah, I am with you Lana...I want to see POUNDAGE LOSS!
Old 02-13-2001, 11:35 AM   #12  

Hi ladies,

How is everyone doing? I've been doing really well this week with food and exercising. In fact, yesterday morning I did my Pilates video. Last night I was on the Nordic track for 40 minutes, and cooled down on the treadmill for 10. Tonight, I was on the Nordic track for 45 minutes, cool down on the treadmill for 10. I feel great. Once again, I know it's good for me, and I feel good after I've done it.....it's just getting started. Since it hasn't been as cold, I feel more motivated. Judi, congratulations on your weight loss....you're
doing great! Any kind of nuts are a weakness of mine too. Plus sweets! Ledom, you're always doing such interesting things. I've decided I'm going to the ballet this spring. I think they're doing Swan Lake which is one of my favorites. I'm also going to start going to see different plays. If you could give us the recipes for the enchiladas and posole soup....that would be great. They both sound wonderful, and I love mushrooms. Donna, I've made that soup before, and it is good. Adding curry powder and barley is a great idea. I think I'm going to try to fix it in the next couple of weeks. This weekend I'm going to fix a pot of black-eyed peas and take some to Mrs. Stephans. Lana, I understand about the scale too. Every morning I'm on it checking for a weight loss. I need that instant gratification too. Trust me, the scale will eventually move. Well, guess I better get some sleep too. Talk to ya'll later.

------------------
shebacat
Old 02-14-2001, 07:35 AM   #13  

Hi everyone!

It is still cold here (not all that usual for us).

Didn't do much today. I did make "Black Bean Chilaquile". Thanks for posting that recipe in the recipe section Ledom. It was delicious. I made a double batch for the rest of the week. I had MORE than 8 oz. but counted the points. I don't think I will have much for supper. Popcorn maybe.

Shebacat: Good for you for doing your pilates. I haven't read my book or taken the wrapper off my beginner pilates video.
But I will.

I did make a CD of music to treadmmill by. Sort of diff. music and diff. paces. It is 74min. long too.
Old 02-14-2001, 07:58 AM   #14  
Chick

Hey guys, Probably won't be hearing too much from me this week. I do stop by daily to see what is up with you guys. Very, very, very busy week. And, I'm so far not doing great on diet or exercise. I have some exciting things going on for future on the social front. Things that I want to look great for. I need to get through the next week and do some good cooking come Sat. I do so much better when I fit that in. It is 8 p.m. and I'm still at work, don't expect much improvemnt for the rest of the week. I did have a salad for lunch.
Old 02-14-2001, 11:43 AM   #15  

Hi ladies,

Things have been busy as usual.....normally work. Ledom, can't wait to hear about your "social upcomings." I think I live my life through ya'lls since all I do pretty much is work. Diet and exercise has been good. I actually did the Nordic track last night for 45 minutes, then walked 1/2 mile slowly to cool down. I have also been doing ab exercises every night. Tonight I did the Pilates video again. I really enjoy it since it's stretching and relaxing. Still having a problem with the coffee though. I usually drink 2 cups in the morning, 1 cup in the afternoon around 4:00pm, and 2 cups at night. Too much caffeine and way too much sugar and cream. I'm hoping once it warms up, I'll be able to cut back to one in the morning and one in the evening. Judi, you sound like you're right on track. I did read in a book that it is OK to eat a little more every once in a while. It tricks your body into thinking it is getting a lot of food, and then when you cut back, you lose weight. Hi Alice, Donna, and Lana...hope things are going well for ya'll. Talk to you later.

------------------
shebacat
Closed Thread