Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 09:32 PM   #1  
it's the getting up

Default Frineds and family

I have noticed that as I am becoming healthier/thinner some of my relationships with my friends and family are begining to change. The girls that I used to go out with for dinner and drinks, don't call as often anymore. My bestfriend went on a chinese binge the other night $45 worth, and got kinda upset when I wouldn't grab a fork... I had already eaten dinner. My brother thinks I am trying to kill him with vegitarian chili. My mom keeps sending cookies and candy even when I've told her what I am trying to do a million times. Has anyone else seen any changes with friends and family? I never thought my relationships revolved around food but it's looking that way. Just wanted to know if anyone else is dealing with this too?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 PM   #2  

I must say that my friends/family are very supportive, and I'm so grateful. It would be tough to have my Mom sending me treats in the mail, I'll admit! But, thankfully she doesn't do that. The cool thing is, though, that I'm truly learning to control eating impulses, so a care package wouldn't be the catastrophe it once was!
All I can say is, hopefully you can find something to replace the food-centered activities. I don't know, find some buddies that would rather walk/hike/ride bike?? Just a thought!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Most of my friends and family have been great although do have a few that are not that supportive. Over time, they have gotten better the longer I decline their invitations to eat foods I no longer do. I just attribute it to breaking habits, I've been working on these new habits for 2 months and it's still new for them. Although there are still those people that tend to sabatogue efforts so I'm careful. Good luck!

Tummy
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #4  
Movin' and Losin'

Some friends and family definitely still push me to eat unhealthy. It seems like so much has revolved around food -- any get-togethers or celebrations. And, it's almost like you're an outsider if you don't participate. Everyone says that "one piece of pie" or "one hamburger" isn't going to hurt you. Well, for me it is. That's the start of a bad downward spiral for me. So, I'm trying hard to stand my ground and stay strong (not that it's easy).

Jina
Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 PM   #5  
12 pounds lost in 2006

Most of my friends and family have been great as well. I have noticed that my relationship w/my best friend has changed because she eats like twice as much as me but is still super skinny. Our main activities together would be eating and shopping and now that I don't eat out a lot we don't hang out that much. However, when we do go out now she is cool w/opting for a healthier place or I will just get something lite wherever we go.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #6  

Oh my goodness, I have had the worst time in dealing with friends since I started losing weight. I've even had to cut people out of my life because things became so strained. I was once told that I had "changed" since I started dieting. Well, damn right I have changed, I have adopted a healthier lifestyle. Other than that though, everything is still the same! Some people just can't deal with change and then jealousy sets in.

I think that when the majority of your friends are heavy and you set out to lose weight, the others feel threatened. They feel like they can't eat around you because you're looking down on them (which, I know is not the case!)

I have had wonderful supportive friends throughout my journey too though, and they sure make up for the rotten killjoys.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:56 PM   #7  
Divine Gal

Well my mom and family have been very supportive.But I find that my being big hinders my friendships some.Most of my friends are very active in swimming , sports; but right now I have a hard time because I am so big.Its getting better though.Alot of my friends haven't seen me recently because they live so far away. So I can't wait to see them on the holidays; and watch their jaws drop because they have always known me as being the big girl.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 PM   #8  

Well, I haven't lost much yet this time around. But I can speak from a few years ago when I managed to drop 35 lbs and almost hit my goal.

My family was very supportive and very encouraging with my weight loss as were my friends. The only problem I ran into was with my best friend. She was supportive, however she was upset by my success when she was still struggling to lose weight herself. I had to be extra sensitive around her.
Closed Thread