Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/211

Height: 5'8"

Default Five Finger Shoes

Has anyone tried these Five Finger shoes?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

They are supposed to feel like you are running barefoot. I like to run/jog but I tend to get tendonitis in my feet when I go too often. Has anyone tried these? How do they feel when running as an overweight person?

Last edited by jcourtney; 06-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.
jcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #2  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I haven't. But those look awesome and so comfortable. I am going to have to look into them.

I found this and it seems interesting. http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...fingers-shoes/

On another site someone said this
I have the KSOs, and I love them. They are lighter than any other shoe, which you'll feel the minute you put them on. I find it that in them I stride faster and land under my body. The overall effect is less effort and less impact. I'm also faster when I run in them.

If you're running on track or pavement, you may choose one of the open-top models which have better air circulation. But the KSOs are nice if you plan to run on trail or gravel and want to prevent stuff from going in (KSO stands for "keep stuff out").

I suggest getting toe socks as well. Many reviews I read noted the shoes start to stink after a while. So I got a few pairs of toe socks (Injinji sells the technical ones, and if you're lucky you'll find some pairs from plain cotton on Amazon). So far (4 months and about 300km) I have no issues with smell.

In any case, don't start using them 100% at once. It takes getting used to, and in the first runs you'll feel the load on your calves and possibly other muscles. Use them for just one run a week at the beginning, and keep your shoes for the other runs. Over time you'll be able to use them more.

And all of these people seem to love them too
http://www.dailymile.com/forums/begi...-you-like-them

I want a pair now! It seems either way, most suggest getting used to them. Not sure about the weight thing. I'd like to know as well.

Last edited by ButterCup85; 06-14-2011 at 04:18 PM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I would love to be able to wear a pair, but my feet are a half size apart in size and my second toe is greater than a half inch longer than my big toe on both feet so they aren't going to work for me. But I read great things about them and know people who wear and love them.

Definitely work your way into them slowly and be careful on difficult terrain with them. Some people eased into them by barefoot running on the treadmill at first to see if they could handle them. Somewhere on Runner's World there was a test to see if you had enough leg strength to wear them - did a balance test and something else. I'll see if I can find it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #4  
Workin' It

Minimalist Shoe Article

This wasn't the one I was thinking about, but has some good info.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote