Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Working out for the first time...ever

Hey ladies,

I need some serious advice. Last year, I lost about 50 lbs. Now I need to lose the last 19 or so. Since I apparently would need to eat like 900 calories a day to accomplish this, I thought it was finally high time that I started exercising. I got a membership at my local YMCA.

So, here is the thing. I've never been to a gym in my entire life. When I was young, I played soccer, tennis, golf and swam on teams occasionally but nothing too serious. That was all over 6 years ago, though. I walk a lot and I'm on my feet all day as a teacher, but I've never actually exercised before.

I also think I have exercise-induced asthma. My mother, brother and sister have it. I want to go to the doctor and get an inhaler, but need to wait 2 weeks for my insurance to kick in. Until then, definitely no running. It makes me feel like I might die, which is totally lame because I see people a lot heavier than me running full-force all the time.

So what kind of activities might be good for me? My number 1 concern is feeling too self-conscious so anything like cardio hip hop or belly dancing is out. I was thinking spinning, deep water pilates and/or aqua aerobics, and pilates or yoga. What would you all recommend for a first-timer? Would aqua aerobics be filled with older people? At my college (all women) aqua aerobics was very popular and fun, but I'm worried that the general population does not see it that way.

Also, I have no idea what to wear. A tank top and sweat pants? Or do you need shorts for spinning? Any advice is appreciated.
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #2  
gym bunny

S/C/G: 210/168/140

Height: 5ft 6

I love the eliptical, it really makes me sweat! Also, running is really good to, as well as biking. Those are really easy for beginners, thats where I started.
nickyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/148/135

Height: 5'6"

You should definitely try a spinning class. It is such a great workout, but it is pretty intense so if you have asthma you might not want to do it. The elliptical is great also. I know you said you feel self conscious but I really think you should give Zumba a try also. I went to my first ever Zumba class this morning and it was a lot of fun. And there's no reason to feel self conscious because everyone is doing the same moves.
mel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #4  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

First of all, congrats on your decision to start working out!! that's awesome, and i think you're going to love it. i find it rather addicting, lol.

Here's a couple pointers from me: Don't forget the sports bra!! good exercise involves a lot of movement by definition, gotta keep the girls contained!!!

Also make sure you wear comfortable athletic shoes with good support. A bad pair of shoes can ruin a great workout if your feet start to hurt. AND pair them with a good pair of socks. Try to use athletic socks if you can. They help wick moisture away from your feet so you can avoid painful blisters from repetitive rubbing on the same spot on your toesies!
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #5  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

I'm horrible when it comes to exercise (i can barely run due to the severe migraines that i get). So what i do is i have a set gym routine that i always follow. I start on the elliptical for 30 mins (+5 min cool down which the machine does at the end of the workout) then i walk around for about five mins to cool down. Re-fill my water bottle and wipe off my machine ***at most gyms they'll have paper towels and spray somewhere close to the machines and they'll have you wipe off the machine after youre done with it.***
Then i do 30 mins of the bike. and thats my basic work out.
depending on how i feel after that i might add 15 mins on the stair steppers, or maybe some of the weight machines, but i always make sure and get through my basic cardio workout first.
I like this routine because its basic and doesnt involve complicated machines, but its something that i know that i can do. No matter how my day is going i know that i have the fitness and energy to make it through the elliptical and bike and anything else that i add is up to how im feeling that day.
Also, you can set your own pace on these machines. On the treadmill once you set a speed thats the speed it goes out but on the elliptical if you get tired you can slow it down, or you can sprint for a min and then have a slower steady pace, stuff like that.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #6  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Have you considered weight-lifting? You can tone up without bulking up, and gyms often offer 1-off personal training sessions or assessments for new members to help you get started (although there might be an extra fee for it).

If you like water aerobics, and the classes for it aren't restricted to certain age groups or anything like that, I'd say go for it! Who cares what anyone else thinks? Also, if you don't want to do water aerobics, what about just swimming?

Do you know if your gym has a dress code for members? If they don't, then normal athletic-wear is probably fine. The next time you, just take a look at what other people are wearing.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #7  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

When you have your inhaler, if you do want to start running, I can highly recommend the C25K programme. I was also one of those who felt I would die if I ever ran more than a few steps. Two years after starting C25K I'm training for a marathon - go figure!!
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #8  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

First, I hope you're not going to be consuming 900 calories per day. If so, I would encourage you to re-calculate and re-think that low of a daily intake.

You definitely need a couple of good clothing essentials. I strongly recommend getting fitted for a good pair of shoes and buying a good sports bra. Beyond that, wear whatever you are comfortable in, whether that's tight spandex pants or looser shorts, baggy t-shirts or tight sports tanks. Don't wear anything that will restrict your movement.

Zumba classes are ridiculously fun and the atmosphere of the ones I've been too has really torn down that "I'm too fat to do this" fear I have at over 200lbs. The aqua aerobics might be a good choice until you have an inhaler or other treatment.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

I would opt for a balanced routine of elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill. Try starting out for a few min on each before moving on to going for 15-30 min on each in one workout session. The elliptical and stationary bike should be easy on your joints, and you'll really get a full-body workout with the elliptical. It's good to switch it up a bit so you have variety and don't get bored.

You can space these workouts with one or two days a week where you can try other types of exercise to make things more enjoyable, like yoga or pilates. Personally, I love swimming and strength-training with weights as well as taking up horseback riding once the weather gets nicer.

Last edited by surrendertolis; 01-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.
surrendertolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

High five for diving in!

I hate running too, even though I can do it. You've gotta find something that you love. I feel like a jackass in classes and never go, except to yoga, but even that takes a certain mood. Yoga doesn't burn as much calories as straight cardio, though, although it will tone you up. I'd recommend swimming, there's a pool? It's a little nerve wracking to be in your swimsuit but no one cares, and it's an individual sport so you go at your own pace. It's amazing for cardiovascular fitness, it torches calories, and best of all, it tones up your whole body. I like it because you don't have to bother with weights, the resistance is all there.
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #11  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

ya, definitly realize that nobody cares what you look like/your fitness level while you're at the gym. Most people are too focused on their own workout to be concerned about you, and honestly, nobody really looks attractive while sweating their butts off. Don't be self conscience. Most people will have respect for other people at the gym, because its a sign of taking care of yourself, which is something that other gym-go-ers will respect and appreciate
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 214.3/200.4/150

Height: 5'9

Im 22 years old and LOVE aqua aerobics!

The YMCA where I work out does have a lot of older people who participate in the aqua fit classes, however I never pay attention to them. I'm there for me and that's the most important thing to remember. The instructors are really fun and you go at the pace that your comfortable with. They usually give you variations of exercises to do as well - which is great if you want to do something basic or challenge yourself.
gnat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #13  
Pecking off pounds

S/C/G: 335/Ticker/170

Height: 6'5

I think water aerobics would be best. Also i wanted to say that according to several websites including webMD you shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day for weight loss.
Mistycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I'll put a plug in for yoga. It's a great way to ease into exercising and get your body adjusted to working out after a hiatus. Depending on the class, such as choosing a power yoga, you can get incredible cardio and a full body workout. I took my very in-shape boyfriend to a class and he was exhausted by the end! The other big "plus" is that you can definitely go at your own pace and it's very beginner-friendly. Unlike some of the self-consciousness gyms sometimes induce, yoga classes encourage focusing on your own workout, to stop and rest whenever you want, etc. Into to Yoga or Yoga I classes are especially welcoming.

Also on the asthma issue, I thought I had sports-induced asthma for a while but I really just had poor lung capacity that I was able to develop over time. This is not to say at all that you don't have asthma, but it's another thing to consider in case you don't respond to the inhaler.

Congrats on the inspiring weight loss and good luck on the last few pounds!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

I would recommend spin classes or water aerobics. Even though people think of water aerobics as an old lady exercise, it works wonders for toning you up. If you have a choice of taking a deep water aerobics class, I'd jump at it - it can really target your core. Now that I don't live close to a Y, I miss taking them!
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote