Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #1  
Need Motivation

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7

Default I feel Gulity

I feel so Gulity ! I have been depressed and cried to my bf about my depression and weight issue. So he bought me a year gym memebership in Nov 2010. I have only went to the gym 4 times so far

Now That I am getting my mind mentally ready and I feel like I don't want to go to the gym now and would rather work at home. I already know my bf will be pissed off because it was a lot of money to spend for the year. He also got a memebership but has not gone but the 4 times with me lol so he should not be too mad.

So now I dunno if I am going to go to the gym now. I hate going to the gym without someone because I always get harassed and bothered ! I also feel self conscious. I wanted the gym memebership so I can swim I have a problem with my right knee ( I have been to the doctor several times and they found nothing so I have to get MRI when I can get insurance again)
and I know swimming will help.

I have turbo jam and really enjoy the videos my problem with working out is I need lots of cardio. The only thing I have used at the gym is a treadmill ... I am afraid to try the other machines because of my knee.

The problem with my knee is I feel aching pain after a work out or if the weater is cold. Have no clue why because I had no knee injury and this has been going on before I was over weight.

If anyone can tell me what type of machines would help me with my knee lmk
I would like to alternate each day with gym and a home work out.

Thanks for listening
Nieveschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #2  
Soon We'll Be Complete

Sounds like you are a boat load full of EXCUSES.
So I would write all your excuses down on a piece of paper and then wad it up and throw it away, it's a great way to wipe the slate clean and get your mind focused.

I would go to some of the classes the gym offers, uses the row machine, the bikes, the elipticals. There are a ton of UPPPER BODY and CORE machines that have nothing to do with engaging a knee.

Get your body moving, and start using that membership! What a waste of money if you don't. I know you feel guilty about wasting his money, but DO SOMETHING about it.

YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Ive never been to a gym but Ive been thinking about it... that being said! Maybe you can schedule a new members tour or something like that? I havent done the gym yet because of about half your list! Lol. Im very picky and nervous about my exercise as it seems you are too but I do know that if you pop in your ipod it may make things easier?

You can do this! You can always find a way around your obstacles. Good luck girl.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

At the beginning I use to get knee pains but by loosing weight and being consistant with the treadmill the pain is gone. The first few classes I took were making me mad, I was out of breath and could not follow and each time I looked in the mirror I felt huge compare to the other people. I would get back home depressed but went back the following day, it is not the darn gym that was going to make me abandon my plan. Instead of comparing myself to others, I questionned myself to why they were fit and I was not, the answer was staring straight in the face, they did not give up, they keep going to the gym and like me there was a time when they felt huge.

If you want to get fit there is no way out, you need to go, just go and do your best, first thing you know you will want to go to the gym because it will give you energy.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #5  
Need Motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie View Post
Ive never been to a gym but Ive been thinking about it... that being said! Maybe you can schedule a new members tour or something like that? I havent done the gym yet because of about half your list! Lol. Im very picky and nervous about my exercise as it seems you are too but I do know that if you pop in your ipod it may make things easier?

You can do this! You can always find a way around your obstacles. Good luck girl.
yeah I mean I don't care about people looking at me because I am bigger or whatever its always guys trying to talk ! I don't come to the gym to talk to guys. I had a gym memebership 5 years ago and this guy was harassing me and I didn't know how to say go away without being a mean lol plus the gym was soooooo dirty and disgusting. My new gym is nice and its super close. I can walk to it so that will be my warm up.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #6  
Need Motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michou View Post
At the beginning I use to get knee pains but by loosing weight and being consistant with the treadmill the pain is gone.
I have had pain in my knee when I was fit I know my knee pain has nothing to do with my weight.

Quote:
The first few classes I took were making me mad, I was out of breath and could not follow and each time I looked in the mirror I felt huge compare to the other people. I would get back home depressed but went back the following day, it is not the darn gym that was going to make me abandon my plan. Instead of comparing myself to others, I questionned myself to why they were fit and I was not, the answer was staring straight in the face, they did not give up, they keep going to the gym and like me there was a time when they felt huge.
I will see what classes they have I like taking classes even though I don't know what to do as long as I am sweating and moving . I took an african dancing class at my college and it was 2 and half hrs non stop cardio it was so HARD and I never got the moves down but I still did it lol

Quote:
If you want to get fit there is no way out, you need to go, just go and do your best, first thing you know you will want to go to the gym because it will give you energy.

Thanks for the motivation ! I left an intro in the intro section. I suffer from depression so some things just mentally are hard for me. I am trying to battle it and I hope losing the weight will help me.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #7  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

My trainer is helping me strengthen my knee so it's getting better. But since you don't know what's causing your knee pain, maybe ask your trainer if there are some safe exercises you can do. I know meeting with my trainer 2 x a week plus me doing extra weights on my own one day will help me reach Goal Weight this year! I try to do cardio 5 to 6x a week. If someone is harrassing you at the gym tell the gym manager. You shouldn't have to deal with that. Don't forget to do some stretching exercises after your workout. You can ask your trainer about that too. Going to the gym will make you feel better. My husband joined with me but he is quitting. He doesn't like to go after work and we have a good quality elliptical he uses at home. So I go to the gym by myself most of the time. I go to workout and just concentrate on my workout. Good Luck!

Last edited by VickieLou; 01-19-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Add Information.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

I have a genetic disorder that made me old before my time, I have osteoarthritis since childhood. I know how much pain can slow someone but moving is beneficial for our joints, just go slow at the beginning
and you might prefer eliptical instead since there is no impact.

When you do exercices your brain release endorphine, it is a natural anti depressant it might be good.

If you need someone to keep pushing you, I Will be there for you.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #9  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

it sounds like you're psyching yourself out of going to the gym. i hate gyms too. but, when i had the money to go, i would FORCE myself to go. i would call a friend to when i didn't want to go, and have them literally talk me into it. if you don't want people to talk to you, bring music and block everyone out. if your knee hurts, go with your game plan of swimming- thats a great exercise that uses natural resistance and engages all your muscles.

challenge yourself. for one week. tell yourself that you'll make it to the gym 4 times in one week, with or without your bf. see if you can get that tour, or maybe pay for a trainer to meet with you once or twice to get you started and set up a routine for you that's knee friendly. turbo jam might be hard on your knees.

you can do it. get over the guilt, get over the excuses. just try it out. i'm all about working out at home, that's what i do, but if i could afford a gym membership, i'd be taking advantage of that too.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

Talk to someone at the front desk about your fears. For the cost of just one training session (or maybe free at some gyms) a trainer can show you what machines to use and how to use them. I have done this at every gym I have ever joined and it is great because then you can go workout with confidence. If it would help you too, try to go during a slow time of day....even if that means going one day during your lunch hour...and lunch at 2 p.m. (gyms are typically slow in the afternoons) and figure things out yourself.

Also, if you are going to do dance/aerobics dvds at home...they have group classes at gyms that are more motivating because (in my experience) you make friends and have fun there.

DON'T give up on the gym...or yourself. Motivation is a fleeting emotion. Make a plan and a conscious effort and go.

You can do it.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have to agree to not give up- if a guy is bugging you tell them you are in a relationship and then continue your workout- don't be afraid of some random guys talking to you. At worst just say "I'm sorry but I'm here to work out and not socialize." Most people at the gym are nice and will leave you alone.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I have been where you are. I also suggest the classes that gyms usually have. It really helped me feel like I wasn't going alone. I always left smiling and feeling great. What helped me the most was jumping right into those uncomfortable situations that I was trying to avoid. I joined the classes and walked right up to people and introduced myself. I met some people and when I missed a class they would ask where I was. Now I know that may sound horrible and about the last thing you want to do but for me it made my hopes and dreams of losing weight a reality since I felt obligated to show up. More people lose weight at the gym than at home so make the best of it! use every penny of that membership and make those life changes. You CAN do it!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

If you are worried about being harrassed by guys...go buy a fake diamond ring and wear it on your left ring finger. I know a lot of girls that do/have done this to keep the creepers away.
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsB View Post
If you are worried about being harrassed by guys...go buy a fake diamond ring and wear it on your left ring finger. I know a lot of girls that do/have done this to keep the creepers away.
Agreed! This really worked for me in college and the 1 time I forgot to wear it the guy I was trying to keep away noticed within minutes of walking into class and asked me about it! GEESH! I loved that little $9 bling ring.
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 268/260/194

Height: 5'7.5"

Another thing if you don't want people to talk to you is to listen to music, or wear headphones even if you don't want to listen to music (or don't own an mp3 player or something--just tuck the cord somewhere mysterious).

Last edited by zizania; 01-19-2011 at 07:35 PM.
zizania is offline   Reply With Quote