Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:39 PM   #16  

Default Goals..

1) Exercise 3x per week (cut back because I am limited on time). Journal
2) Eat right the whole month and enjoy myself on thanksgiving.
3) Get to 150!

I'm cutting back on my goals this month.. I am trying to be very simple so I can feel like I accomplished something. This month is going to be very stressful trying to finish up projects and what not.

So I am hoping I can pull this off

-Tanya
Old 11-01-2002, 02:00 PM   #17  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

if anyone doesn't have objections, i'll start a thread toward the end of next week (around Nov. 6 or 7) - that way we can post our weekly progress towards our goals. personally, i think i would just post there one time a week as a check in to make sure i'm following what i sought out to do, but i would encourage anyone to post whenever they wanted

Monique, that's a great idea about posting your goals on your fridge - that would definitely help me - i'm going to steal that idea from you!! - i'm trying your oatmeal muffin recipe today - i've been in a muffin mood lately!

i like this post because i get to find out different things about a lot of different people and give them support, not just on their weight loss...

hope all is well with everyone on this Friday!

p.s. already did one session of pilates for the week - yea me!!

i think this little guy is new- his name is lucky - like my screen name - maybe i'll start using him as my sign off - maybe something like:

Old 11-01-2002, 02:16 PM   #18  
Caden's Mommy

Default CHALLENGE SPREADSHEET

Hey everyone -

i made this spreadsheet today if anyone is interested in the format.

simply put your goals in the first column and then you can check the days that you complete goals

since a lot of my goals are 3 times a week, or 4 times a week, i will black in the unused boxes at the end of each week

i plan on coloring the boxes red, when i don't complete a goal for that certain day/week, etc...

feel free to use it or modify it!!

Emily

Old 11-01-2002, 02:21 PM   #19  
Caden's Mommy

wait a second, i don't think that worked -

if anyone would like a copy, please email me at:

[email protected] and I will be happy to send it

oh - now i see - attached files must be images....
Old 11-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #20  
Caden's Mommy

Default I DID IT!!

Hello all

well, race day came here and now it is over - I accomplished my goal of not walking!!!

I can't believe i ran 13.1 miles at one time without stopping - i never thought i would ever be able to do that!!

I ran it in 2 Hours, 15 minutes ( a little under 10:30 per mile)

I am really proud of myself - i think in the future when i think i can't do something, i'll tell myself - hey you ran a half marathon - you can do just about anything!!

bad side effect - my body is killing me!!

hope everyone is having a great weekend

Tonic - congrats on your shopping escapade - i can't wait to do the same!
Old 11-03-2002, 06:15 PM   #21  

Lightbulb updated nov goals

Hey everyone,

I have decided to update my goals alittle for the month of november.

here goes:

1) drink my water (5 bottles a day)
2) go to the gym 6 days a week
3) work hard at the gym
4) spend more time on my abs
5) lose at least 10lbs if not 15lbs this month
6) and finish my christmas shopping by the end of the month

starting weight is 220lbs (i am pretty sure)
Old 11-04-2002, 09:09 AM   #22  

Happy Monday everyone! How was your weekend?

I would categorize mine as a success. I ate more than I thought I would, but I think I was unrealistic as to how much I need to simply fuel my weekend activity level.

I drank my water, took my vitamins, and got my 8 minutes done Saturday morning.

I made that garlic bread again last night at DH's request. I ate less than last time, but still too much. Part of the problem was that I didn't plan dinner until I was at the grocery store. I will remember this and either just take Sunday dinner off, or have better planning.

While grocery shopping, I went in search of the elusive angel food cake. I found a sugar free one in the bakery that was 100 calories for 1/5 of the cake. That was as close as I got. (By Richard's calculation, ½ should be around 180)

Perhaps I'll buy one next time. But I didn't feel like buying a large dessert which I knew I might overeat (already had the garlic bread!). So instead I bought 1 bar of really good dark chocolate and shared it with DH. I figure ½ the bar was less calories as ½ the cake, and I don't have the other half sitting around!

Today I am feeling tired and ready for a vacation. It is chilly in the office, and all I want to do is take a nap. But I am fired up over challenging myself to stay on track. I have almost lost all the weight I gained over the whole car accident/ankle fiasco and I'm really committed to looking my best for my parent's visit.

Rita Update: When we first met Rita, we thought she was deaf. Now we have come to the conclusion that she is just dumb.

I really think perhaps she has some mild brain damage. She just doesn't react to things quickly, or respond to situations in a normal cat behavior.

Of course this doesn't make us love her any less - perhaps just more so. And it might explain why she just sits under the bed all the time. Perhaps she just doesn't want to cope with outside stimulus.

I bought her a bed last weekend, and last night I dragged her out from under the bed, put her bed on our bed (confused yet?) and sat her in it. It took her some convincing, but she finally decided it passed inspection and settled down for a good bath while I watched Trading Spaces. (I am decorating-challenged and am addicted to this show. I am determined to have more than white walls when we finally buy a house!)

Emily - congrats on the 1/2 marathon. That's awesome! And I love the idea of weekly update thread, I want all the accountability I can get this month!

Monique - glad you enjoyed Halloween as well. Do they do anything different in Canada?

Tanya - good idea with fewer goals. You're only human. I make myself a daily to-do list, and I really try to keep the items to 10. It's just frustrating that there aren't more hours in the day! (Today's list is up to 13 so far, but 3 are phone calls so hopefully it will all get crossed off!)

one_swwetchick - great goal of working hard at the gym! It's so true that half the battle is getting there, but the other half is making it count!

Well guys, I've had another cup of coffee (I will drink an extra water to balance it out) and I think I might actually try to get something done today! Take care!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:33 PM   #23  
Sarcasm Queen

Hello everyone,

I better get my lazy butt in gear. Everyone has such sensible goals. And not just "I wanna lose pounds" but "I want to do strength training, etc." So I guess I'd better put my goals up there as well.

GOALS:

1) To continue the exercise regimen that I have been doing, aka go to the gym 5x a week.

2) To drink as much water as I have been drinking. I'm quite addicted to it now.

3) To DEFINITELY EAT BETTER. That is normally where I falter. I don't eat quality foods as of late.

4) To eat smaller meals more often. That's what my nutritionist told me so I'm gonna follow that.

5) Do Pilates twice a week.

*****6) Throw my scale against a wall and smash it into little itsy bitsy pieces while venting all my anger and frustration on it for all the misery and anguish it has caused me.

Yup... that's about it. Oh yeah... and to lose up to 10lbs!

~Sahvara
Old 11-04-2002, 12:39 PM   #24  
hottie in training

sahvara, i like your goal #6!

we should all do the same thing! it's funny how much the numbers on the scale mean to us, how much they can ruin or bring happiness to our day.

and the weird thing is, and the one thing i try to remind myself of,
is that you can have 10 people that weigh the same weight, but can look totally different from one another!

i have already accomplished one of my goals-i went & bought some new running shoes on saturday. i tried them out on Sunday, and am happy to report that i didn't get any blisters!

i also have been watching my caffeine intake, and didn't have any caffeinated drinks yesterday.

i had kind of rough weekend, relationship wise. my bf & i seemed be butting heads most of the weekend.

i am very insecure, and while that played a part in the "arguement (s)" it is not the only thing to blame.

anyway i don't want to bore anyone with all that, but i did have a question. Has anyone here tried therapy, and if so, did you find it effective? Please don't answer if you don't want to, because it's not my business, i just wondered if anyone tried it & it worked. a friend of mine went to like 3 different counselors & she didn't think it worked that much. i often think I need to talk to someone, but i am afraid of wasting my time.

anyway i better get going.

jenn
Old 11-05-2002, 04:25 AM   #25  

jenn,

it's interesting that you ask the question about therapy because i found myself thinking about it and writing about that very topic today. i'm really curious to hear from anyone that has gone to therapy for eating/weight issues. i wonder if it would have solved my problems if i had taken the time to talk to someone, but then i figure it could have also wasted my money and i'd be the same place i am today. not sure, but would love to hear what others have to think.

my november goals are:

1. journal everyday
2. eat more protein
3. eat healthy foods (fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains) and stay away from processed and refined foods.
4. cardio 5 times /week
5. strength/pilates 2-3 times/week
6. lots and lots of water
7. no more than one sprite/week

i'm excited about november and know i can meet all these goals. i'm going to check in here weekly, but i'll be posting to my journal everyday - the link is in my signature if you want to read it. does anyone else keep a journal?
Old 11-05-2002, 09:34 AM   #26  
hottie in training

empressive,
i don't keep a journal online. occaisonally i write in mine, but it's not on a consistent basis. i did go read yours a little. you sound a lot like me in your eating/exercise habits. our goals are a little the same too. do you like Pilates? I signed up for a class that started in september, and i went about 5 times, but i really didn't like it. i think i am used to a fast-paced workout & it was just too slow for me, ya know? plus, some of it was stuff i already did on my own at the gym.

i don't remember what all i told you guys about my echocardiogram, so if i repeat myself, sorry. friday i went & had it done. the tech. didn't see anything major but it is reviewed by a cardiologist & then sent to my doctor. she did notice some irregular heartbeats. she also noticed that my heart rate is pretty low, and asked if I ran. that's always such a nice compliment!
anyway yesterday i called my doc. office but it was already 4:30 & i had to leave a message. i hope they call back today. i'd like to see what they say before i call a therapist.
i think (and my doc. confirmed that it is highly possible) this heart thing is from anxiety. remember a while ago i said i was worried about some personal stuff? i wonder if this is what brought on the latest "attack" (i call it attack for lack of a better word).

yesterday was another day w/o caffeine. i did have a starbucks in the morning, but i got a decaf.
although right now I am drinking a cup of tea...tea has less caffeine than coffee though.
i also had a nice workout yesterday. i did some quick weights, then a step class for about 35 min. i left the class, i just wasn't feeling it yesterday. but then i did 15 min on the elliptical. i wanted to run but all the treadmills were taken.

anyway i should go do some work.

ttyl
jenn
Old 11-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #27  

Happy Tuesday!

I'm still on track and loving it. Today I bought a chicken terriaki (sp?) sub from subway, but then I put the filling on my own low-cal bread. I am going to try and find some sauces that I like besides BBQ (I was so sad when subway said they don't sell their sweet onion sauce in a bottle!) to use with grilled chicken for yummy sandwiches.

I am feeling major burn-out from everything else in my life. I am positive about keeping it from effecting my health, but I cannot WAIT for Sunday (my 1 day off this month) when I can sleep in.

Monique - I'm glad your goals are going well. I had to run errands during lunch, but I got about 10 minutes of walking done through a strip mall. I plan to take a break later on and get the other 20.

Sahvara - your goals sound wonderful. Are you using any plan to modify your eating? When life is really hectic and I can't watch what I eat so well, I always try to get at least 3 veggies/2 fruit a day. It really makes a difference.

Jenn - I have been to a few therapists. I think they can be helpful. They also can harm. The best advice I can give is to be honest with how you feel about their personality/style. If they don't "click" with you, bail out and find someone who does.

BTW - I had an echocardiogram a few years back because of an extra beat in my heart. I have a slightly enlarged ventrical. I guess it's something pretty common because the doctor didn't say anything more about it.

empress(ive) - I don't keep a journal, but I am addicted to reading them. I noticed you are linked to dietchick - I read her daily. There are a bunch more I subscribe to. It is so inspiring to read about other struggles and triumphs.

Well, I have lab time now. Cross your fingers that the test doesn't blow up! Take care.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 PM   #28  

Unhappy today is hard

Today is a hard day in the challenge....i haven't done to bad today but i thought was just going to cave and give up today...

Today:

20 min cardio
Today I ate:
small serving of peanuts and 1/4 cup of low fat yogurt
zone bar
2 whole wheat buns
chicken breast
some tomato
alfalfa sprouts
small amount of pasta
meat sauce with brocoli, green pepper and onion
10 cups of water...

i ate 6 tiny meals a day....that's why it seems like i so much...but they are tiny tiny amounts...

one_sweetchick
Old 11-06-2002, 06:18 AM   #29  

Default 8 mins

HI FRISCO'S MOM-

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT 8MINUTES IS?

GOOD JOB ON NOT EATING THOSE CUPCAKES!!!

AMY
Old 11-06-2002, 07:45 AM   #30  

The scale flirted with 142.5, but settled back on 143. I am happy with that. I had put on about 5 lbs, and now it is gone.

My challenge now is to break my cycle of lose a little, gain, lose the gain, lose a little...

I am determined! That being said, I didn't get any more of a walk in yesterday. The tests weren't running very well and I ended up working an 11 hour day.

I will get my walk today, and plan an extra walk in on Sunday to make up for it! Now that it's written here, I have to do it, right??

Monique - Richard's plan follows a diabetic diet. For a 1200 calorie diet, I eat 5 portions of veggies, 4 carbs, 4 protein, 3 fat, 2 fruit, 2 dairy. For 1400, add another portion each of carb, protein, and fruit.

No matter what # of calories you follow, he always has two dairy portions. 1 cup of yogurt or skim milk is 1 portion and that is how I mainly get it. I have milk with cereal in the morning, and yogurt as a snack. I probably skimp on the yogurt - I buy the small individual size fat-free ones and they are probably not a whole cup.

On his plan, cheese can be considered a dairy or a protein. If the cheese has less than 55 calories/ 1oz., then it is one dairy/protein. Higher calorie counts start including fat portions as well.

The whole protein thing sounds confusing. For me some examples of 1 portion are 1 oz. of meat or cheese, 1/2 a veggie burger, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, or 1 tbsp. peanut butter (with 1 fat).

I hope that helps a little! One thing I've loved about this plan is that I don't have to give up cheese or peanut butter.

one_sweetchick - good going yesterday!

AMY75 - 8 minutes in the morning is a book by Jorge Cruise. He has a website and there is a thread with info in the Exercise! forum.

I am using his weight training plan of 2 moves, 6x a week. This is to slowly get my body back into weight training mode from a break/back injury. After I finish the month-long plan, I want to start over but double up on days (i.e. 4 moves a day). Hopefully this will get me back in the swing of things.

I am enjoying it because it fits into my lifestyle. I also know that it would be a lot harder for me to come up with my own plan that targeted each muscle group as evenly as his does.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Closed Thread