Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #16  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothy52 View Post
I am sure there is something in this article that had a purpose. This to me was one of those things that we read that helps us not do the things that we know we should be doing like moving our fat *&*** around so that we feel better, look better and can move the furniture we out having to sound like we are having a heart attack. When we exercise the body does need fuel but it is the type of fuel we give it. Instead of having a candy bar or chips I drink a HMR shake that makes me full and I also know mentally that I didn't plow all the work I just accomplished. I also like when I can tell Lisa, my health educator, that I did 4500 PA for the week, that I did something FOR ME!
I think this is why this article makes me angry the most. I was (am?) the type of girl to look for any excuse to not exercise. And now that I am, and I go and read something like this... I start losing focus on what the point is if it's as unhelpful (and even a bit dangerous) as this guy points out.

Not that one measly little article will make me stop though.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I read this article a while back, there were like 4 other threads about it on here. I understand the argument that if you exercise and don't eat healthy, it won't work. But I can barely lose weight if I don't exercise. I HAVE to do both. What really annoyed me in the article is his whole theory of the "will power muscle" keeping you from making healthy food choices because you just used all of your will power to make yourself work out. You're bullsh*ting yourself dude.

oh, and an excellent response to that article: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archiv...es_the_fit.php

Last edited by Aclai4067; 06-24-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/164/140

Height: 5'4"

Now, I will be the first to admit that I could exercise all day every day, but I didn't lose a pound until I fixed my diet. Our problem with obesity is mostly due to our diet, in my opinion.

BUT.

I can't ignore the fact that I have a much easier time maintaining when I keep up with my exercise. I feel better. I'm inspired to eat better. I look better (naked). I don't get depressed. All of these are components that help me make better choices that assist in maintenance. I have just found a ton of benefits to exercise, I guess.

I totally agree with this. I feel like crap when I don't work out and eat right. I think my body even got used to not eating junk food and I feel great. Recently I have totally slacked off, because I'm on vacation and the food everywhere seems good! But I totally agree that mixing exercise with good eating habits makes you feel good, because the healthy food we eat does give us strength and nutrition!
Maguito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix View Post
I think this is why this article makes me angry the most. I was (am?) the type of girl to look for any excuse to not exercise. And now that I am, and I go and read something like this... I start losing focus on what the point is if it's as unhelpful (and even a bit dangerous) as this guy points out.

Not that one measly little article will make me stop though.
YES. This is what makes me a little upset. I'm not saying the article should lie and say that exercise helps you lose weight when it doesn't, but it seems to be giving people the excuse to not exercise, because experts are saying that it won't help. And although it does say there are other benefits to exercise, it's not really emphasizing that, and is rather talking about eating a bunch of unhealthy things after exercising.

But it seems to lose sight of the fact that basically what he is talking about in the article is caloric input > caloric output, and that's what makes people gain weight, not the exercising part. We shouldn't be blaming exercising as the culprit for not losing weight.

Do these kind of articles do more harm than good? I dunno. Not that I'm advocating censoring AT ALL, but realistically, what is the practicality in this?

And finally, an issue that I take wit this is that they say gym membership has gone up while obesity has climbed as well. Okay. Well, those numbers look to be damning, but TRULY, how many obese people are gym members? When I go to the gym, I see very few - some chubby, yes, but obese? Little to none. So . . . again, how statistics can be used to prove almost anything.

Alright, I'm off to do P90X.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #20  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Thank god Jelbb, I agree with you. Exercise makes you hungry? If you eat a s*** ton of food you'll gain weight? So exercise=hungry=weight gain? wtf?!? Are they saying that people who get hungry cant lose weight?! Seriously?!

And exercising decreases our self control later so we're more likely to eat those chips? So theres no hope for exercise? Oh COME ON. Here's an idea: IF YOU ARE GOING TO EXERCISE TO LOSE WEIGHT TRY NOT KEEPING CHIPS IN YOUR HOUSE.

I have to go wash my eyes out now
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote