Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 238/238/170

Height: 5'10"

I only feel ugly when I look at pictures other people took of me, and it's like ****, do I really look that awful?! Ugh!!

When I look in the mirror I am pretty happy, I think I am cute. I imagine it'd be easier for me to hunker down and lose weight if I felt worse about myself, lol!
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #17  
I hate chub-rub!

Height: 5'6"

Red face

I can really relate to this thread and Borntofly, because I feel like I could be a knockout - if I could summon the strength to knockout 60lbs! When I saw this add in a magazine, I almost cried. I scanned it for you all.

I'm 48in and would KILL for that confidence. I cried bc I was happy that I could be beautiful at a bigger size, but I was also sad bc I realized my issues weren't all about weight. But the journey to weight loss is never just about the weight is it? I hope these real women, real size campaigns change the perception of beauty. And just for giggles...
kellibee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

The media has created such a narrow definition of beauty. While a woman may not be conventionally pretty, if she is confident she'll be seen as beautiful.

Reaching goals is a great confidence booster. The more goals you reach the more confidence you have to pursue your next goal.... be it food and exercise goals, or career goals, or whatever.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #19  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

missnewstart I could have written your post so many times and at SO MANY WEIGHTS! You aren't alone. My advice is to stick to your plan and never give up! NOT quitting is what eventually gave me confidence
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #20  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Here's a post I bookmarked awhile ago that has really helped me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixjean View Post
Self-Esteem has never been my strong suit
So I wanted to share these tips I found online.
Please comment and with the ones you like or don't, or do or don't do. Add your own too!

First, let me give a tip I read today (I can't remember the source) that said to accept compliments! ... i really like that one, because I always shoot down compliments, if not out loud--at least in my head.

Self-esteem Makeover

1.Do not use your weight to measure your self-worth What does weight have to do with self-worth? Your self-worth is the sum of everything that makes you special and unique - not just your thigh and waist measurements! Add up your assets, talents, how you treat others, how you treat yourself, the contributions you make to your family, friends and community. Now you have self-worth.

2.Count your blessings. You have a lot of things to be thankful for a home, a loving family, friends you enjoy, a job, a sunny day, the knowledge you've acquired - even things like shoes, a coat. Many people don't have these things. A mind that counts blessings has no room for self-pity. So you don't wear a size 2? Neither did Eleanor Roosevelt!

3.Are you continually playing negative tapes in your mind? Eject them and insert new tapes! You may have to make a conscious effort. When the critical tape starts playing, picture yourself hitting the "stop" button and insert a new, positive tape.

4.Don't use "all or nothing" thinking. No one is a "total" failure. Most things you do right. Just because you sometimes make a mistake or take a wrong path does not make you a "total" failure. It makes you human. Besides, the president of CBS was recently asked for his secret to success. His answer: failures - because how else would we learn?

No one starts from zero.
You probably eat pretty well a lot of the time. We can always make improvements, but consider the glass half full, not half-empty!

Strut your stuff! Shine!
Show the world your talents. We all have them. Capitalize on what you do well. I'll never dance Swan Lake, but then again, I'll bet that ballerina doesn't play a mean piano like I do.

7.Give thanks to your body for what is does for you. Appreciate its functional nature. It's a pretty remarkable machine. You can use it to take a walk along the beach, hug someone, listen to a concerto, make love - or go shopping! And it can do all of these things no matter what shape or size it is.

8.Educate yourself (and those around you) about issues of size and weight. Learn what's fact and what's fiction. What the research really says and what most people believe are two entirely different things. Reputable researchers will tell you that obesity is still a complex, poorly understood condition that has very little to do with lack of willpower and a whole lot to do with biology and physiology. Most importantly - especially for those who are considered "overweight" - stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault. The research continues to show this over and over.

Become preoccupied with the world... not with dieting.
When we're constantly dieting, weighing, measuring, counting calories, calculating fat grams, recording our feelings in food diaries and agonizing over what to eat and what not to eat, we have little time left for what's going on in the rest of the world. And it's such an interesting place!

10.Put nothing on hold as a reward for weight loss. A Largely Positive member recently suggested:"The best advice I ever got was to make a list of the things I would do differently once I was thin - then pick the top one and do it right now. The item at the top of my list was to take flying lessons and now I'm a single-engine land pilot!"

11.Develop a personal style that announces you. Find some signature pieces. Never ever put off buying attractive clothes until you lose weight - you don't have to wear a 10 to be a 10! Don't buy into the silly notion that you can only wear dark colors because they're more "slimming". At best, dark colors shave off five pounds. Big deal! If I have a choice between looking five pounds thinner or wearing lime green, I'm going for the lime green!

And Women of America:
We do not have "figure flaws," despite what many of the magazines tell us. Each of us is simply shaped differently. It's called diversity. We appreciate it in flowers. Why not in people?

13.Surround yourself with positive, supportive people. Tell weight critics that your size and shape are no longer topics on the conversational buffet table! Eliminate negative people from your life. Surely you have enough supportive people in you circle of family and friends that you'll never miss the "nay-sayers."

Look into your past for sources of low self-esteem.
Retrieve critical comments that were made to you, especially as a child. You will probably discover that your body image was shaped by other people and outside influences. You are an adult now. You have better information. Refute these old messages and from now on, shape your own body image.

15.Concentrate on developing a healthy lifestyle rather than losing weight. Developing a healthy lifestyle is positive and can be measured in lots of ways. Losing weight has only one measure of success: the scale.

Slow down! If we can't remake ourselves overnight, we feel we've failed.
We need instant gratification. The truth is slow weight loss is the only kind that will ever last (haven't you noticed the fine print in ads for quick weight loss products that says, "Results not typical"?) Stop setting weight loss deadlines: for the class reunion, the wedding, the party. Make weight management an ongoing part of your "healthstyle."

You've hear of PMS?
Try having PMA - Positive Mental Attitude! How you feel about yourself is how others will feel about you. Your attitude is always reflected back to you. I guarantee it!

Remember that society is not always right about things.
Just because we have a cultural obsession with thinness doesn't make it right. Society has a long list of injustices and intolerance. Like human beings, societies are imperfect and make mistakes.

Recognize and fight size prejudice.
Size prejudice is often called "the last acceptable prejudice." One thing we can all do is stop laughing - at fat jokes. There is nothing funny about comedy that inflicts pain. As a little girl, I took every fat joke personally. Maybe big girls don't cry, but little girls do.

Remember, in the final analysis - it's the size of your heart that counts, not the size of your body.

Source: www.largelypositive.com (they have some things on their website that I totally disagree with, but this was really cool, I thought)
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellibee2000 View Post
I can really relate to this thread and Borntofly, because I feel like I could be a knockout - if I could summon the strength to knockout 60lbs! When I saw this add in a magazine, I almost cried. I scanned it for you all.

I'm 48in and would KILL for that confidence. I cried bc I was happy that I could be beautiful at a bigger size, but I was also sad bc I realized my issues weren't all about weight. But the journey to weight loss is never just about the weight is it? I hope these real women, real size campaigns change the perception of beauty. And just for giggles...
First, I have mixed feelings about pictures like that (the first one). My first instinct is Yeah! But then I notice how proportionate (according to society) she is, no big belly rolls, and my chest does *not* look like that in a top like that. But definitely in the right direction.

Second, the kitty pic ... ROFLOL. My sister's morbidly obese cat needs that .

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-15-2008 at 10:34 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

the BBC website has lots of tools for boosting self confidence. Here's a link to improve body image. But, have a look around the site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships/i...odyimage.shtml
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #23  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
What is really strange, is I can see attractiveness in the mirror when I look at myself, but I don't think others can see it at all.
Holy Crap! That's me!!!!

I feel like I'm truly a pretty person, but I just don't think other people will find me attractive...

As to the original poster, missnewstart, I have to say as much as weight is related to low self-worth and self-esteem, I think in a lot of cases (mine) it is more of a result than a cause. But I think we tend to blame it for our low self-esteem etc. ... I know for me I felt really fat when I was at the weight I'm at now, back when I was in high school, but now I "feel thin" as in I actually have some confidence. When I was twenty pounds heavier I felt horrible about myself as well, but no more so then I did back in high school.

This journey has taught me to lean on my inner beauty, not my outter. I always complain about how for some girls it's really easy to get the guy; they're rarely ever single... And the thing about those girls isn't just that they're pretty, they're fun and flirty and their personality shines through very strongly... And I know now that's what I have to work on, because I'm stil shy and have moments of self-doubt.

Don't expect to lose the weight suddenly be that fantastic confident amazing person... You're going to have to work on that part of yourself as well to truly become a person with self-worth and self-esteem.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #24  

Height: 5'3"

CakeBatter - Girl thank you so much for your kind words...

valpal23 - Thank you for posting that!!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 206/194.5/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMcG View Post
I know exactly how you are feeling. Those feelings normally totally consume my life. Even when my hubby tells me he loves me for who I am, no matter how I look, or how much I weigh... I still find myself thinking that he is lying. How could anyone love someone as big as me? The truth is...he does love me. And that gives me motivation to change my life. Mostly for myself, but also for him. Because he has stood by me for years. He loved me skinny, he loves me fat. We both deserve to be happy. But, I deserve this success only for myself. Because I am the only one who can take me where I want to go. Every healthy choice I make is mine and no one else's.

SO YOU GO GIRL! I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that there is no place better to be than right here for support. Go get'em!
LOVE THIS!!! JUST REMEMBER YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOU!!
Kristine612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 148/143/115

Default same here!

This entire thread is pretty much me. I am really low on self confidence, my weight is definitely part of it but not the whole of it. I always feel uncomfortable in my own skin and in my clothes. I'm not very outgoing and haven't been able to break that pattern. I'm hoping some weight loss will give me confidence...I lost 20 lbs when I moved out west and it did help a bit, but it wasn't enough. I'm hoping this time around I will stick to my program and make a permanent lifestyle change. Perhaps this will give me the confidence to assertively be myself in front of others, because no other "tips and tricks" to improve confidence have done much.

I guess this isn't very encouraging to you, missnewstart, but at least you know there is another person in the exact same boat as you!
mandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

I honestly can say that my self-esteem has gone way up since I lost weight. I feel so much better about myself and my appearance. I am still shocked when I go into a bar and get hit on by guys. Actually I don’t normally realize I’m getting hit on. I know there is more too self confident then having other people attracted to you but it really is a self-esteem boost. Also I feel more confident being interviewed by potential employers I feel as though I’m not being judged on my weights.

Lastly I would like to say that I was referred to as the “Barbie” of my internship today … meaning I’m the one the dean brings with him to do all of the press interviews. I know it is slightly offensive but still it kindof flattered me.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 225/150

Height: 5"3

Someone going through what I am!! I am 225 and I feel SO ugly,worthless,mad at myself,beating myself up,etc. We ALL feel this way. But we're losing weight together and we can cry together and laugh together and ***** together about this ****ty thing called Weight Loss. I have been battling this all my life. So it's been difficult. But we are ALL gorgoues!! Thank god for that!! But yeah,We're all each others support here. And we'll all get there together.
Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #29  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I think that it is mostly true of everyone who is overweight. But guess what you are the same weight and height as me so I can definitely simpathize with how you feel. I also suffer from depression so my weight has yo yoed over the years. I am excited to be healthy again and be able to go out with confidence!! Good luck to you as well
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #30  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

How can YOU be the most unattractive girl in the world when I already am? There can't be two of us who are the MOST unattractive.

But, seriously, I know what you mean. I've had to come to terms with being physically an average-looking woman at best, even when I was thin. I used that as an excuse to not lose weight. I mean, what's the point if I'm never going to be beautiful?

But attractiveness isn't just looks, is it? People you care about become more attractive, and people who are mean can become less attractive. So, what are traits that you find attractive? And can you define your attractiveness using them?

Will losing weight improve my appearance? It'll make me healthier, and healthier is more appealing. Got to admit that. But, overall, I've got to define my attractiveness in terms of the total package.

Last edited by Ufi; 09-20-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: I'm having emoticon problems.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote