Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 12:03 AM   #1  

Default Losing in COLLEGE

Hey everyone..just seeing if there were any members out there who were trying to lose weight in college. Believe me, while weight loss in itself is very hard, college presents many different challenges. I love with 3 girls and 3 guys, who are all skinny and can eat whatever they want. Of course, the girls still complain about their weight, which for someone who has an actual weight problem is frustrating to hear.
College dining hall food is can also sabatoge intentions to have a healthy diet.....big portions, and lack of healthy variety.
Also, drinking and everythign that goes along with it just adds more calories.

I'm currently 5'1, my weight is between 140 and 145, and I'm trying to get between 120 and 130 (this may still seem like much but I know I'm always going to be natural curvy due to genetics).
My exercise habits are good (walking for 45 minutes 3 times a week, and 1 hour boxing class 2 times a week), and I don't eat junk.... but I do eat more than I should.

Any other students out there in the same situation? Let me know!
Old 03-13-2002, 05:02 PM   #2  

Default been there!

Aah, dining hall food (and the drinking on weekends never helped me either!). I have SO been there. I gained a ton of weight over the course of my college days - about 20 lbs. It is very hard. I did not lose weight until I went to graduate school, lived alone, and cooked for myself! (lost 45 lbs. that way, but have since gained about 22 of those back!) I would just say make healthier choices in the dining hall (buffet style = killer!) - at my college, they always offered "healthy" options daily on their menu. Does your school do that?

I can totally empathize with you! I know how hard it is. Especially when everyone else looks great! I wish you the best in your journey!

Valerie

Begin: 165
Now: 163
Someday - 150, then 135.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:58 AM   #3  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

I know exactly where you're coming from... I have a bunch more weight to lose than you -- but it's extremely hard!! I'm in my last year of school -- only about 7 more weeks left, and i've decided to give it my best shot.

fortunately, i've lost about 20 pounds so far,which has given me a good start. Unfortunately, all the drinking and other skinny roommates doesn't help. I'm working on it though --

I have gotten into the habit of working out, but i tend to eat a lot of junk, too and way more than i should! i'm about 5'7 and weight 220 -- but am working on it. I would like to weigh around 135 or thereabouts. Actually, I'd just like to fit into junior sizes again..

contininue to post and I'll reply -- or email me. [email protected]

i'll be more coherent later, i promise!
Old 03-15-2002, 05:58 PM   #4  

Default Awesome

This forum is so great.....just knowing I'm not alone really gives me more willpower....I've done ok the past two days (Thursday night I drank about 5 beers, but I didn't give into pseudo-drunk-hunger afterwards)....but I know it's all about baby steps when you are making such a permanent change like we are.
Good luck this weekend girls!
Old 03-17-2002, 12:10 AM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Your absolutely not alone!

Hey! I know just what your going through! I'm not in college now, but about 3 - 4 years ago I quit my fast pace waitressing job to go to college full-time! WOW! I had no idea what I was getting myself into!

College life is great! It's jam packed with good times, but it's the one place you don't want to be when your trying to trim down! It was the hours upon hours of studying that did me in... I didn't think I had time for exercise or proper meals! My first year in college jump started 3 years of weight gaining! (i've managed to slow that down & turn it around, but it took hard work)

I just wanted to reply to your post so that you may not have to go through what I went through! You probably know to do this stuff already... but when I was in college I wish someone would have warned me... (these are the things that could have stopped me from gaining most of my weight had I done them)
1. Keep healthy snacks around, for those long hours in the library.
2. Make time for exercise... or walk to work, or classes.
3. Remember that it's not just the food you eat, but the drinks you consume that affect your body weight!
4. Stay active, have fun & live life!

Good luck! ... with weight loss, classes, & life! ~Kalypso
235+/210/1st goal 195
Old 03-17-2002, 12:05 PM   #6  

Default Trial Weekend

Although I made a few bad choices this weekend, it was an over all success as it was a huge improvement from a normal weekend.
Friday went out to dinner and got a grilled chicken sandwich, but only ate half of it and saved the rest for later. That night I stayed in an watched a movie, so no drinking. Saturday I knew I would be drinking htat night, so I ate lightly for lunch and dinner. AFter I went out I came home, I was hungry, and I wasnt' even thinking so I immediatly made a peanut butter sandwich, when I'm sure a few crackers would have more than satisfied me.

Despite a moment of weakness, I felt it was a successful weekend as I proved to myself that I DO ahve the willpower to control my eating.

Well, it's off to the gym now...how did everyone else do? Have a happy St. Pat's day everyone!
Old 03-17-2002, 01:38 PM   #7  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

I didn't do all that well this weekend. My spring break was last week, and I didn't get to go out of town. Instead, I came home, and partied with a bunch of my friends here. [I think we single-handedly supported the bar] Although I did decently eating at home, I drank way too much all week. And then I'd come home and make breakfast at 2 am.... But next week will go much better, because I'll actually have schoolwork and things to do, instead of going out at night and staying home all day....

And I can't believe that spring break is over
Old 03-19-2002, 08:49 PM   #8  

Default over-eating

Anyone have any tips on how to combat the urge to stuff your face? Sometimes I just don't have the self control not to grab a banana or something after I had a soup and sandwich for dinner. I eat pretty healthy things, so I guess it's not THAT bad, but I just hate constantly eating, even if I'm full. Calories, calories. Any ideas about getting some willpower?

Just a side note, I'd like to say how much just reading how everyone is working so hard as well really helps and is encouraging! Hope everyone is having a good week.
-Katie.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:55 PM   #9  

Katie - believe me, you are not the only one! It is wonderfully refreshing to read that people out there are JUST like me! The willpower thing etc. I try to distract myself and keep busy. For example, as soon as I get home from work (which is usually around 4) I am tempted to eat. I usually go on the computer and check my emails to distract myself. Then I start to cook dinner. Doens't always work though. One thing that "helps" (this is joking of course) I am sick right now, so I actually DON'T feel like eating! That never happens with me! ALthough, I don't recommend the fever, dizziness, and body aches that come with it!

valerie

165/163/150 (for now)
Old 03-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #10  

Default willpower

Yeah you definitly brought uip a good point there...eating out of boredom. Maybe instead of staring at the fridge when I have nothing better to do, I'll read or go for a walk. Anyone else have other ideas?
Old 03-21-2002, 01:16 PM   #11  

Hi yall! I am also in college, I am a sophomore and I am so sick of the food here! I have lost 60 pounds since the start of my freshman year so there is hope I promise! I learned to keep food in my room like lowfat yogurt, fruit, veggies, baked lays or those fat free chips, low calorie cereal and skim milk, oatmeal etc... I always eat breakfast in my room, and then for lunch if the cafeteria isn't serving anything healthy(it usually isn't!) I will get a sandwich from subway, or eat something in my room. For dinner I do the same thing. I also make sure I eat small meals or snacks every two hours. I know it sounds crazy to eat more food but it keeps your metabolism up. I also work out every morning but only for a half hour-I know I should do more but I hate it! I struggle with the drinking too-I love going out with my friends but I hate the calories. I just try and eat lightly the day I know I will be drinking. When I do drink I try to stick to beer because all of the mixed drinks are very high in calories. Does your school have a salad bar or sandwhich line? If so I recommend turkey sandwiches with no mayo and light cheese or a big salad with no meat and light dressing. That makes a good light lunch
Old 03-25-2002, 08:07 AM   #12  

Default Yikes

I weighed myself todayl....up to 152 pounds, my biggest ever. But, it was just the kick in the *** I needed to get my willpower up and put 100% into losing weight. How often does everyone weigh themselves? once a week? once a month?

152/152/120-130.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/188/150

Height: 5'6"

When I was at the end of my sophomore year in college I put 100% into losing weight. By the time it was Christmas my junior year I had lost about 35lbs. Sounds pretty great right?

Unfortunatly I was focusing so much on my weight I completely neglected my overall health. I ended up with Mono because of it.

Everyone wants to be thin but overall health is important as well. So JMUKatie, best of luck in your quest to lose weight, but please for your own sake, do it in a healthy way.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:03 PM   #14  
Water Freak

Hey all! Sounds like this is a thread full of people just like me. Nice to know that I'm not the only college gal out there who isn't thin as a rail. I'd lost about 35 pounds in my last two years of high school, and I kept it off pretty succesfully my freshman year and even last semester. But this semester has been a DISASTER!!! I have gained back about ten pounds, I eat terribly, hardly ever exercise, etc. I feel really depressed about it, because none of my clothes are fitting anymore. And, I swear, it seems like this campus is populated entirely by super-thin, beautiful sorority girls. All of whom like to go running around campus in their sports bras and spandex shorts. I guess this semester has been particularly bad because I've been totally swamped with schoolwork (note to self: 18 hours is a very very bad idea), which keeps me from taking care of myself. Anyway, I am determined to get these ten pound back off, and maybe a few more. My current goal is to lose 5 pounds by the end of the school year (a little less than a month), and then the other 5 or so over the summer (while I am busy in summer school--yippee!). Anyway, I'm very excited to have found this board!

Cat
Old 05-07-2002, 08:45 PM   #15  

Default college

Hi all

I'm a college senior (2 weeks left!!!) and I've been on my latest weight loss program for about a month now. It is SO HARD to lose weight in college, but it CAN BE DONE! This semester, I've dropped ~ 15 lbs, but it's been a fight all the way.

It's so nice to see other students in the same place as I am All my roommates are smaller than I am, and I completely understand how frustrating it is to listen to thin people call themselves overweight.

Ah well Nice to know this board is around!
Closed Thread