Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #1  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Watermelon?

I am thinking about existing souly off of watermelon the next few days LOL. My mom gave me a whole watermelon, and I am the only one that eats it in my house. I LOVE IT though. Is it even good for me? I Have no clue what kinds of vitamins/minerals/nutrients it has. (J/K about the watermelon cleansing btw, though I will eat alot of it hehe)

Anywho, just thought I would profess my love of watermelon since it's that time of the year again.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #2  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 245/230.8/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, from one watermelon lover to another here is the lowdown from calorieking.com

Nutrition Facts
Calories 46(Kilojoules 191)

Total Fat 0.2 g
Sat. Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2 mg
Total Carbs. 11.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 0.9 g
Calcium 10.6 mg
Potassium 170.2 mg

So I say, enjoy!

C.
MissyCrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Wow I never realized that it had so much potassium. How large was your serving size.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #4  

Well I wouldn't suggest living off of it, or else you'll probably frequent the potty...IF ya know what I mean... But as a snack, enjoy! Who doesn't love watermelon? How is that even possible? What's not to like? Mmm, now I need to go buy one.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I lvoe it too. I had some for a snack the last couple of days. My kids love it too. My hubby won't touch it. He's weird.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Just a random suggestion but I like to put lime juice on my watermelon. It gives it a really good sweet sour mix.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #7  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

I put salt on mine hehe..I do that with grapefruit too.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #8  
No pain, no gain.

Height: 6'3"

watermelon=delicious + a great low calorie snack.

And a great way to sneak more water into your diet.
They don't call it watermelon for nothing...

Do it up!
glitterlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

The last issue of self had a recipe for watermelonade, so I thought i'd share it, if you're interested in giving it a try.

Fill a blender with 4 cups of seedless watermelon cubes. Juice 1 large lemon (about 1/4 cup) and pour over watermelon. Add 2 tbsp granulated sugar. Puree until smooth.
Pour into 4 glasses filled with ice and garnish with mint. 73 calories per glass.

I'm not sure if it would taste as good with splenda instead of regular granulated sugar, but if it does, that would even lower the calorie intake!
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

During the summer, I usually go on several modified fruit fasts. It's not really intentional, but my husband doesn't eat much fruit and I love it. So, I eat as much of it as my intestines will allow (and sometimes cross that line and pay for it later). If it weren't for the unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects, I would probably live off summer fruits and sweetcorn all summer.

I haven't bought a watermelon yet this eason. My husband doesn't eat it, and since the tiny watermelons are the same price as the large ones, I usually buy a large one, and eat mostly watermelon for a few days (watermelon and sweetcorn are just about my ideal summer lunch, add a chicken breast and it's dinner too).

Yesterday, I bought 7 lbs of Mt Ranier cherries. They're only available for about 3 weeks each summer, and they are just about my favorite food on the planet. I'm giving some away, but I will probably eat almost half myself, and there's a good chance I'll get at least one stomache ache from overdoing it. But I will lose weight, enjoy myself, and hopefully not regret it too much afterward.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #11  

Mmm, sweet corn and watermelon. There are very few foods that taste so good, you wonder why there aren't MORE calories in them. But hey, I'm not going to complain! Anyone else have any good watermelon recipes? If I go out and buy a whole watermelon, I'm the only one who's going to eat it...and that's a lot of melon! It'll be nice to have some recipes to change it up a bit.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #12  
~

S/C/G: 200/174.6/140

Height: 5'8

hmmm i did a search and found this one, it sounds really good.. I might have to try it especially since it says you can freeze it for a few weeks

Quote:
Sweet Watermelon Ice Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups fresh watermelon juice (pureed watermelon (use as much actual watermelon "juice" as possible)
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Instructions
Pour the watermelon juice into a shallow glass baking dish. Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir well. Place the dish in the freezer and chill.

Remove the pan every 1/2 hour and stir. The juice will form light, grainy ice crystals as it freezes. Repeat this process until the juice is fully frozen, about 4 hours, depending on the temperature of your freezer. You can also use an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's directions.

Serve immediately, or store in the freezer in a covered container up to several weeks.

This recipe makes a refreshing ice that is perfect for hot weather.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Pinkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #13  
No pain, no gain.

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant Departure View Post
The last issue of self had a recipe for watermelonade, so I thought i'd share it, if you're interested in giving it a try.

Fill a blender with 4 cups of seedless watermelon cubes. Juice 1 large lemon (about 1/4 cup) and pour over watermelon. Add 2 tbsp granulated sugar. Puree until smooth.
Pour into 4 glasses filled with ice and garnish with mint. 73 calories per glass.

I'm not sure if it would taste as good with splenda instead of regular granulated sugar, but if it does, that would even lower the calorie intake!
mmmmm that sounds absolutely delicious. I'm a huge watermelon fan and I will definetly have to try this out.
glitterlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #14  

I love the taste of watermelon. Except for some reason it makes my throat itch like CRAZY, so I don't eat it very often.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #15  
The Victorious One

S/C/G: 218/171, Starting over 198/?

Height: 5'6

OMG! I love watermelon, I had it for my lunch today with a handful of mini pretzel sticks and also for the whole day yesterday. I didn't have much of an appetite, but the watermelon really filled me up.
butterflykiss is offline   Reply With Quote