Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Overcoming exercise hatred

Hello, I'm Lisa. I'm brand new here, and I will admit that I hate to exercise. I really don't enjoy it, and it doesn't help that a weak ankle and easily messed-up back limit what I can do. But I know that a lack of exercise is the biggest single factor that's preventing me from losing weight. I have been doing yoga intermitently, and I kind of enjoy that, but it's not helpful for weight loss.

I would really love to hear from others who have overcome a hatred of exercise, and incorportaed it into their lives. I would especially love to hear if any of you have gone from hating to enjoying, instead of just tolerating.

So, my question to the group is: How have you overcome that exercise hatred? What works, and what doesn't?
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

oh, pick me!!

I have always hated to exercise. Now I enjoy it often while I do it, and certainly enjoy the results. But I frequently still, after over 2 years, force myself to the gym (or to the basement).

How did things get better? Like the Nike ad says: Just Do It. I made a commitment to it. Early on I noticed I felt better afterward, but it took me a long time to realize how important regular exercise is to my entire well being. Now I KNOW I will feel less tired after a workout. Still don't wanna go, but it helps get me there. And I workout usually 4-6 days a week.

I don't know if that helps, but know you aren't alone!

Last edited by Heather; 01-03-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I absolutely hated exercise when I first started! But now I am pretty much addicted to it, it's the highlight of my day usually. What changed for me was finding things that I really liked, and doing things at my current level of fitness. I started out with Tae Bo and it left me completely wiped out, sick on the floor and I hated it. I thought that was how exercise was supposed to be, until I found Walk Away the Pounds dvds and realized it could be difficult, yet still fun and enjoyable...and I learned it should give me energy not take it all away.

I couldn't even finish the one mile dvd when I started, but I committed to doing it every day and within a week could do it, within two weeks had moved to the 2 mile. Once I saw how quick my body adapted and changed I started to look forward to it. I can move without all my joints popping, can get up and off the floor without a struggle...there are just so many improvements to my daily life that has come from working out.

Find something that is easy, at your level, and that isn't torture, and then stick with it. You'll be doing a lot more before you can blink an eye!

Time Warner Exercise TV on demand is great if you have it, there are lots of 10 minute workouts and a lot geared for beginners, and it's free...so you can try a lot of things on there before buying...or check out what your library has, most carry workout dvds.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #4  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

yea i pretty much had to force myself to the gym untill i actally started to enjoy it.. i also found a class that i really liked! martial arts is very rewarding for me and i hope to some day become a black belt... that of course equals lots of exersice in order to be able to do the kicks and throws and be able to keep up in the sparring matches... so maybe a thing to look foward to, besides being able to shop at the normal size stores? though that is very rewarding, i guess i needed a little extra shove to keep lifting those weights and hopping on that tread mill. not that im perfect, i skip out on some days, but its happening less and less the longer i stick to the plan!
good luck finding the motivation! oh and have you seen a chiropractor about you back? what does s/he say?

"if you want somthing bad enough you find a way, if not and excuse!"
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ugh i hate it. My first 50 lbs. came off with the change in my eating habits, but I have a bad feeling the next 50 won't budge without my *** moving LOL.

I was thinking of starting a walking thread for newbies? something like, committing to walking 15 miles for the month, etc., but I'm not quite sure what's reasonable...I'll think on it!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I always had hated it too, but the more I did it (And this took awhile) it turned from hating to not minding. There are lots of days I still have to talk myself into it, but I think really gaining some strength helped me to feel better even at still a higher weight. Sorta empowering or something... hard to explain.

Also after months of doing it it becomes not quite so uncomfortable as your body starts to "get it" you still have to challenge yourself, but it still is easier then first starting out.

With me it works this way. I tell myself I'll work out every day. I of course need breaks here and there but I don't schedule them. This way I can't really argue with myself if its going to happen its just part of life. I take a break when my body feels like it needs it. This usually ends up about once a week. For some reason this helps me to keep on track more so then picking random days a week. When I did that it was always "I'll do it tomorrow instead"

Some people won't ever love it. I never will love it but there are some things I do I sorta enjoy now. I do workout DVDs at home so the variety is endless so if I tire of one thing I try a new one.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hubby gave me a copy of one of Jillian Michaels books (one of the trainers on the Biggest Loser) for Christmas. In her book, Jillian admits that she doesn't like to exercise. I was surprised by that as she is a personal trainer and she has an awesome muscular body. I used to love to run, but now its a chore. But, I know that studies have shown that overweight people who develop an exercise "habit" are more likely to lose the weight and keep it off. I like having better odds, so I make myself exercise.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

As you've probably gathered by reading the responses, I think the majority of people started out in your same situation, me included. While I don't necessarily love exercise, I don't hate it anymore either. I think as you start seeing progress, exercise begins to look like a friend rather than the enemy. You become more comfortable doing it and therefore it gets easier to do. I agree with other posters that it's something you just have to make yourself do and plan as a part of your day....no different than taking a shower or brushing your teeth! After you do this for awhile, I believe that you'll begin to look forward to it. It's the one time of the day that I'm focused completely on me. I come first! Sometimes I zone out to music, turn on a movie to watch while I'm on the elliptical, or just think about things that are on my mind but I keep pushing to the back of the list.

I guess all I'm saying is hang in there. It gets easier and better!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8

Must be something about the name! I absolutely loathed exercise when I started. Start with something simple like walking. Give yourself a time limit, say, start with 10 or 15. Set it to music to make it easier. Keep upping it by 5 minute increments when you're ready for more. Reward yourself with minigoal rewards. For example, went walking 4x a week, treat yourself to a manicure (or something else you'd enjoy). I'm started with the 10-15 minutes of walking & I'm now up to 45 minutes on elliptical/arc climbers, doing work with weights & trying out classes, including spinning as time permits.

Last edited by nylisa; 01-04-2008 at 10:54 AM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default In the same boat!

You and I are in very similar situations! I have a lot of back problems and an ankle that currently looks like it belongs to an elephant. I, like a lot of people here, managed to lose a lot of weight about five years ago and did it mostly through walking and added in the elliptical machine later. Stomach was the Captain's Chair. This time around, sigh, I have added in Dance Dance Revolution!! I am not kidding! Last night I meant to only do it for 30 minutes... 60 minutes and a leg cramp later I finally stopped. I really enjoy it. I am terrible at it and have to be careful with my back and ankle but I still get a really good workout in and have fun at the same time. Who knew?
I also try not to focus on what I use to be able to do compared to what I can manage now but am trying to focus on my, gasp, former love of exercise. I distinctly remember enjoying waking up in the morning and stretching my legs so I could feel all those cool muscles. I have an 11 month old now so those muscles will take a little longer to get to than then but we can do it! Perhaps a goal? I walked a half marathon and did a 100 mile bike ride for charity at about 230 pounds, it can be done! Plus, when you are doing it in part for others, it adds some great motivation!
As for your injuries, I am sure you already know this but ice is your best friend, even though heat feels sooo much better. If you can get in with a good physical therapist even once to give you exercises to do at home that may be a big help as well! If I can get a little personal, a great bra has helped a lot with my back as well. I use an Enell which is expensive but fabulous.
I ramble but I hope that helps... you are not alone and you can do it!
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Unlike others I can't say I ever really loathed exercising but I did find it difficult to make it an absolute habit. And at first I found that exercising often made me feel worse 'cause it made me feel so down about how fat & out of shape I was. But once I made it a habit & started seeing improvements that really made it almost an addiction for me. I love working out now & a good chunk of my thought is spent on my workouts, what's coming up, how the last one went, etc.

Good luck - you can do this.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #12  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I wasn't that thrilled about exercise either.

I couldn't run because of shin splints. The elliptical made me sore. I have no rhythm for aerobics, etc. etc. etc.

But then, being obese wasn't all that much fun either. Like Heather said, I made a commitment and just did it. Just like brushing my teeth with really cold water. Or bathing with really cold water. I didn't have to like it, but I knew I had to do it.

And then, it got easier. After 11 months, I can now say that it's no longer a chore. It's not quite up there with the brushing my teeth habit, but exercise is a vital and important part of my day. Maybe it's because I am a morning exerciser, but when I start a day right, I almost always end it right.

I can even say that now, I enjoy it. And as much as I hate 5:30 am, I know that I will always feel better after I exercise. Always. Good luck to you!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #13  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

I for one think that my years playing sports in school kinda ruined running for me... (not to mention I'm only 25 and have arthritis in both knees and a major knee problem with my left leg) but I LOVE weightlifting.

I have a very broad body that will NEVER be tiny like the models, so I figure why not use my strength and size to where I feel comfortable. My mom gets PO'd when I hit the gym too much and "bulk up" but my theory is, I'd rather have big muscles than flabby fat. ya know?

You find what you like to do. Sometimes I don't have it in me to go to the gym and do my whole circuit, so I hop on the elliptical and if I only do 30 minutes, I only do 30 minutes. But that's 30 minutes less than I'm sitting on the couch.

I agree with the others--- even when I'm tired and sore, I feel BETTER when I finish exercising! It's just GOING... getting up, putting on the clothes, GOING to the gym that is hard for me. I kinda wish there was a gym in my work building so I couldn't make excuses--- just go at the end of my work shift. Ah well.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #14  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

It took me over a year to finally embrace exercise and the knowledge that I have to do it no matter what. I joined an excellent gym where I feel extremely comfortable at and I go 6 days a week and am there for at least 90 minutes. I have seen a real difference in the shape of my body and in my physical condition. I can go up stairs and for long walks without breaking a sweat or running out of breath.

Now, to conquer what I put in my mouth on a daily basis!!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
Or bathing with really cold water. I didn't have to like it, but I knew I had to do it.
Sorry - but am I missing something? Why do you have to bathe with cold water?

I totally get the whole not running thing. I do the cardio 'cause I need to burn the extra calories to get to goal but the weightlifting is the part I'm passionate about. Muscle is always going to look better than fat.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote