Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #31  

Height: 5'8

Glad you like the playlist Tonia!

Another point I think is important to make is to combine the exercise with something you enjoy. I love music & listen to it a lot in my spare time. So for me it was natural to combine exercise with music. I had exercise mix tapes prior to the mp3 era.

But there are other interests which can be combined with exercise. Books? I love to read too, but I get motion sick easily, so that rules out reading on the treadmill/exercise bike. But it's an option for many and so are audiobooks for those of us who get motion sick or want to get a bit more mobile (say a jog in the park).

A friend of mine is a big fan of Lost & House, so he bought DVDs of both and watches them while he works out on the treadmill. TV & movies both work for this.

I think combining exercise with another interest works for several reasons:

1) it's a distraction from fatigue or boredom that can come with exercise
2) you learn to associate exercise with something positive that you like
3) when combining it with something that you'd enjoy doing, it becomes less of a chore. You're doing something you like anyway for leisure (listening to music, reading, watching tv or a movie.
4) Combining it with exercise is kind of time efficient. You'd spend time doing these things anwyay, so you don't have to carve out another block of time to exercise.

Last edited by nylisa; 01-05-2008 at 12:28 PM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #32  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

My problem was always getting started. I sometimes lie to myself that I'll do a really easy workout today when I don't really wanna get my (!) off the couch. I find once I get moving it feels good and I get a normal workout in.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #33  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Music indeed does make the time go by faster and even helps you pick up the pace if you're just out walking. I love my I-pod mini!

Another thing to think about is make your your challenging yourself enough that you see progress. If you stroll at 2mph and never get any faster its really never going to get that much easier you know and you likely won't get any more fond of it.

I think maybe part of the reason I not longer mind it is I can feel and see the difference it has made. I wear a smaller size then I did at the same weight when I was only dieting. My resting heart rate is lower. My Mood is much much better... Today I even ran a bit!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #34  

To me it was all about the definition of exercise. It used to be: had to find good clothing, pay for a gym, go to the gym and kill myself for 45 mins to 1 hour -- and usually hurt myself. Misery. Finally I decided exercise is exercise. I stopped paying for the gym and stopped feeling i had to be in the right clothing. If I felt like exercising I just jumped in my regular clothing did what I wanted for as long as I wanted. Period. 15 minute walk at lunch, 15 min's on my bike at home; walk up and down the stairs in my condo complex when no one is home... exercise with the ipod, without, in my undies, in my work clothing... whatever as long as I am moving it doesn't have to be the typical *work out.*

I was reading a couple of science books recently and they made remarks about how animals like mice naturally love exercise.. put them in a wheel and they will go forever, and my own cat seems to think his life is 2 things... sleep and exercise. Makes me wonder if humans should be that way too and maybe we just have to get back in touch with our own natural desire to exercise by changing our thoughts about exercise.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #35  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a different take on exercise. I LOVE it. Exercise makes me feel great, I crave the burn, the pain (in moderation)....so how does someone like me get so big? Why did I fall off the exercise wagon to begin with? I haven't exercised in 4+ years. So what happened?

Even if you enjoy working out, it doesn't guarantee fitness or health - you have to actually do it! It's all in the mind....and it's EASY not to exercise. It's EASIER to sit on the couch or make excuses and do other things. It's easier to play on the computer - homework - housework -scrapbooking - ANYTHING besides getting on that treadmill I've had now for 8+ years. This year I hope to use it more in 1 year than I did all the years I had it. How sad is that?

Anyhow, not wanting to exercise, not enjoying exercise is a struggle but I wanted you to know that it's not easy for those of us who actually enjoy it too - strangely...you still need to make that time for yourself, make a commitment, get up earlier or whatever it takes.

I also sabotaged myself, if I ate poorly in the past, then why bother getting on the treadmill...or go walking or whatever...I was an ALL or NOTHING girl. If I couldn't eat "just right" then I gave up. Why bother? I realized now that if I had just let go of that mentality, I would have been better off ...I might have still been able to at least burn off those extra calories, instead of having them LUMP right onto my thighs.

Sorry if I'm rambling.......
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #36  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

You don't have to turn into a big exercise nut to lose weight. At first I did go to a middle school that let you use their gym for a small fee, mostly I used the treadmill. I'd go on it for about 30-40 minutes as fast I could go which wasn't very much. I went maybe 4 times a week if I was really good. I tried doing some weights but I am not very good at that. In the middle of my weight loss process I was going through a huge life change so I stopped exercising. I still kept losing weight but eventually that stalled. I started walking after work with some co workers. I've been walking 5 times a week, 3 during the week and 2 on the weekend. I try to park my car far away unless I am in a hurry. In structures I park on the highest floor and walk the stairs. Just find ways to move and you can lose weight... you don't have to go the gym even.

I may have reached goal or not, not sure yet but I would like to do more strength exercise. I don't know much about it so I am thinking of getting some kind of personal trainer. I don't know if I have the money for that right now but we'll see. I enjoy sports, always have. I would like to play basketball again .
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I think it comes down to finding what you like.

Right now, I have some major knee issues and the only real exercise I can do is recumbent bike. However, in the past, I thought I HATED exercizing!!!!! I tried, and HATED:
aerobics
various exercise videos
Tae-Bo
jogging
treadmill walking
weight lifting
spinning classes
biking on a real bike
jumping rope
swim aerobics
lap swimming
gym membership/gym machines
laps around a track
various exercise machines
dancing
tennis
baseball

However, I found some things I really, truly enjoy that are exercise:
raking leaves, yardwork
walking in the park with the dog or kids
roller blading (FUN!!)
horseback riding
swimming in a pool with my kids
hiking in the woods (LOVE this)
martial arts classes
basketball
frisbee with the kids

So, just keep trying things. EVen "lifestyle" activities like gardening can be great exercise. But the bottom line is, you gotta get more active, so keep looking and trying things til you find one you like or can at least tolerate. Maybe you will grow to like it when you see how wonderful you feel afterwards.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

So, an update: I did the Walk away the Pounds 1 mile walk today. After about 4 minutes, I wanted to collapse. I did the whole thing, and I pretty much hated every minute of it. (Who's surprised? Not me!) BUT -- I did the whole thing, and it was relatively do-able, and I can see myself doing that three or four times a week. The whole thing only took 15 minutes, and really, what's 15 minutes compared to the health of my heart?

Possibly I'll find some other form of cardio that I can enjoy more, but until then I'm going to try to keep doing this. I hope that as I get practice it will get easier and I will stop getting so exhausted so quickly, and I will hate it less.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 217/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

A trick for Walk Away The Pounds. I used to hate it too, but then I started to put my ipod on, and just walk along with the dvd, and listen to my own music, and now its my absolute FAVORITE thing to do! =)
KCWMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Another tip for Walk Away the Pounds...once you get those 4 basic moves down and get a feel for what a good pace is, you can do it while watching TV and make your own little workout. I do this all the time, but now I run in place instead of walking, jump side to side, jump on other moves, add in butt kicks, etc. I also like to do it with a step, doing each move on the floor then on the step...get some really good workouts while watching TV...usually during Biggest Loser
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote