Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #1  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Default Wave 1 Summer squash/chard gratin

Can be used on any wave, but is suitable for wave 1. I ate it as a main dish, but my kids (who aren't so big on veggies) ate smaller amounts as a side.

I made it with full fat ricotta, because I couldn't find the part-skimmed one, but the skimmed one is better.

1 very large onion, choppped
6 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic paste)
8 oz mushrooms, sliced thickly
2 8" zucchini (I used yellow zucchini from the farmer's market) sliced
1 pound swiss chard, stemmed and shredded
2 eggs
1 cup ricotta
1 cup milk
2 oz fresh grated parmesan
here's where I deviated - the recipe called for 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill - I don't have any, so used oregano, one of my fave herbs. It was awesome with the oregano.
1/2 tsp salt (I didn't add this)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a skillet (use a big one). Cook onion for about 5 mins. Add garlic, then mushrooms, cook until no liquid left and nicely brown.

Steam zucchini and chard in a little water for about 5 mins. Drain well and add to cooked veggies in skillet. Pour into baking dish (I used an 8 x 12 lasagna pan).

Beat eggs slightly, add ricotta, milk, parmesan, oregano (dill), salt (if using) and pepper. Spoon mixture over vegetables. If veggies stick way up, gently push them down.

Bake at 350° until lightly set and browned on top (mine took about 45 mins but I used a ceramic dish - it would probably take less time in a metal pan). Let stand uncovered before serviing - about 10 mins.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thanks!
I tried it. The ricotta mix was very good. I used egg beaters. I also used a little more parmesan, (sprinkled on the top) and a couple of shakes of nutmeg.
In the vegetables, I used Italian seasoning, and added a splash of sherry.
The sherry added a good flavor, but between that and the water still contained in the vegetables, when the dish was done there was quite a bit of liquid at the bottom. No problem though; I drained it out and saved it to use in something else that needs a broth. Maybe a vegetable soup or something. The overall flavor was great. Thanks again!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #3  
Started Precon 6-20-11

S/C/G: 196/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Sounds good. I bet it would be good with Zucchini also.
victorialynn2 is offline   Reply With Quote