General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default What are you reading?

I just started Majestic Descending by Mitchell Graham, the ads make it sound like a nifty thriller.

Before that:

The Kookaburra Gambit by Claire McNab: 1 part light thriller / 2 parts lesbian rom-com (I'm not, btw): nothing special

Amen Corner by Rick Shefchik: murder at the Masters, and a Minneapolis cop/amateur golfer is called upon to discreetly investigate
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Right now i am reading Naked by David Sedaris, okay, but not great.

I am looking forward to getting started on Everything's Eventual by Stephen King, the movie 1408 is out in theaters, i have to read it before i see the movie. So i am excited to start that book.

A book that i did read recently and really like was Dry by Augusten Burrows. Its sort of the part II of his Running with Scissors, which is also an awesome movie with Gwenyth Paltrow, i highly recommend.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I love David Sedaris, but I haven't read Naked.

I just finished Glass Castles - memoir - very quick read, and I really liked it.

Is that Augusten Burrows Running with Scissors the story that is supposed to be true, but the family disputes it? I'd like to read it.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #4  

Yeah, the augusten burrows book is the one that is a CRAZY memoir. It is hysterical. Oh you have to read it. I am a reading freak and it is in my top 5 reads of all time. You dont really appreciate it until you finish it and then you think, wow, that was nuts. It is so crazy, it HAS TO be true, no one could make that stuff up. ha ha ha ha ha. It is great though. Read it, then watch the movie. The movie leaves ALOT out.

Naked is okay, i really like Sedaris, but i think coming off of an Augusten Burrows book, it was just not a good book to follow a Burrows with. Does that make sense? Like i shouldnt have gone from one comedy to another. I should have gone into a murder mystery or something and read naked with a fresh mind. So to speak.

I will check out Glass Castles. I usually love memoirs.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

If you read Glass Castles, let me know if you hate the mom as much as I did!

I know what you mean about 2 comedies back to back. I'll check out the Burrows book... been meaning to read it now for awhile
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well, as King has changed his writing style, as Koontz can't seem to keep up with my reading and I've run out of his books until he gets more out, I've started on Pattersons series with Det. Alex Cross. I'm on The Wolf right now, and have his latest hard cover Cross sitting here waiting for me. Got another couple chapters to go on The Wolf first.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #7  

I read mostly romance novels... I don't have much time for pleasure reading, since I have my nose in a textbook most of the time.

My favorite author is Luann Mclane.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm currently re-reading the entire Harry Potter series in preparation for the finall book coming out this July. I'm on book five now; I've put all other reading on hold until I finish.

Two books I read recently, both of which I enjoyed were:
- Two Minute Rule by Robert Crais
- Promise Me by Harlan Coben (part of the Myron Bolitar series, it's probably best to start with some of the earlier books in the series).

I love action/suspense/mysteries and both Crais and Coben can do no wrong.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 AM   #9  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I'm also rereading Harry Potter before the new book comes out. I've finished the first two and am going to make a start on Prisoner of Azkaban tonight.

I tend to read a couple of things at once, so I'm also rereading JD Robb's Conspiracy in Death and am dipping in and out of Lord of the Rings - I love LOTR, but I can't read more than about 10 pages at a time before I need to have a break.
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #10  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm a Koontz fan, myself. Just finished Watchers and By The Light of The Moon. Loved both of them. Trying to decide what to read next, maybe a girly Jane Green...
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #11  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Currently plowing through Omnibus, a compilation of two Stephen King short story collections. It's huge but then, it's Stephen King! He's a master story teller. I love the way he just takes his time and the story (or seemingly unrelated stories) travel in slow, lazy concentric circles until they all meld together. I must admit, I prefer his novels to his shorts and some of his shorts are more like novellas anyway!

Droolingly anticipating the last Harry Potter. I'll be the geek there at the bookstore at midnight, husband grumbling at my side. For the last book, we had all these drunks from the pubs walking by and saying things like "get a life" to us. I thought "yeah, read a book, drunkard" but I didn't shout it back because there were alot of kids about and I didn't want to start a brawl!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #12  

Hey almostheaven, i like Pattersons Cross series too. They are my old stand by when i cant find anything to read, i can always rely on that.

I am going to read the 6th harry potter book before 7 comes out. I dont know if i will read every word, but definately some chapters need revisiting. i think i read it too quickly and missed some significant meanings and hidden hints.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #13  
sfj

I am reading two books right now.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

and Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton.
sfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just finished Pigtopia. Odd book, but good. DD recommended it to me.

Next up is the new one by Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I loved the Kite Runner and look forward to this. I'll be taking it to Hawaii with me for reading on the plane.

I have I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou) and The Autobiography of Malcom X (Alex Haley) on my night stand. I may bring one with me to Hawaii in case I finish Hosseini's book.

Barbara~Harlen Coben is my absolute favorite! however I was kind of disappointed with his last book (not a Myron Bolitar book).

I read Running With Scissors. I can't say I enjoyed it. If it were true, that family he lived with is truly weird to say the least.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #15  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Night...Elie Wiesel & The Lost Painting...Jonathan Harr
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote