General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Any serious Harry Potter fans here?

Just thought I would ask...especially since the Order Of The Phoenix film, and the highly anticipated last book are both on their way this summer.

If there are any of you out there, I would love to discuss.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I can't wait until the book comes out (movie too.) I'm still upset over the last book and I really want to know how this is going to wrap up.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #3  

Me! Me!

DD, DH & I are all looking forward to July with great anticipation!
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #4  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Haha... I've been bugging my poor israeli boyfriend for weeks to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that I can get the last book ON THE DAY IT COMES OUT in ENGLISH while I'm in Israel this summer... He doesn't understand just how serious this is. Silly boy.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I am definitely a fan! I can't wait for both.

One thing that surprised me was the casting of Delores Umbridge. She wasn't at all what I pictured. Has anyone seen Dead Like Me? I would have cast Crystal in that role.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #6  
too much of a good thing!

S/C/G: 209/ACK/less than200 initially

Height: 5' 5"

Default Roll on July!

I already paid for my copy of The Deathly Hallows at the local book store. Does that make me a serious fan? I was very upset when Dumbledore died. I am a big fan of happy endings so I hope all the folks who say it will have a dark twist in the tale and Voldemort will prevail are wrong.

The kids are mad b/c I insist on reading it first! Then it goes in order of age. We did this in 2005 when no. 6 came out. We were in England and on the way back half the folks who were reading books on the plane were reading HP.

DD8 is playing catch up by reading all the previous books in the meantime. (Yes, we have them all.) The rest of us are thinking of re-reading them to refresh our memories before we get our hands on no. 7

I;m not as keen on the movies (i never am) but the kids love them!

DH doesn't get it but we let him off anyways. I like having this interest in common with my kids. We're not always interested in the same things but when we are it's so much more fun.
catsnhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #7  

I think I am going to re-read as well... I think this last book is going to tie up a lot and I don't want to forget any of the little pieces...
I am just afraid Harry is one of the ones who dies this time round...
KiDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My sister scheduled her wedding for the day the book comes out. I am already plotting how I can shirk my MOH duties and hide the book in the bathroom or something so I can read it. I also suggested to her that she give her guests the option to pre-order the book through Amazon and have it delivered that morning to my Mom's house, and offered to deliver them to her preferred hotel. I may have to suffer without being able to start it, but EVERYONE shouldn't have to.

The past three books have been consumed in 16 hour straight reading sessions, immediately after receiving them. No book has taken me more than a day to complete because I just can't put them down.

I lay my prediction here - Harry is probably going to die.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

For all of those who have read the books up to 6 thus far, and are anxiously awaiting book 7, I have a rather large theory on book 7. Anyone interested in hearing it, and discussing it?

I think they did a great job with the casting for Dolores Umbridge. Did anyone see the extended clip that showed on Ellen recently-where she did the speech in the Great Hall, in the book where she interrupted Dumbledore's opening feast speech? I got CHILLS. I also loved how they even stuck with some of her costuming, like the little pink cardigan, etc.

I have re-read all of the novels an additional time, in anticipation for the last novel-and I am hoping that my suspicions are correct. (I think they are...but we shall see. )
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Aphil - PM me your theory! Does it involve Pettigrew? Because there are at least 2 references I've found to him being important....
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I started book number 1 several times, but just couldn't get into it. Not my kind of book.

But my three teenaged daughters - Oh my goodness. They are HUGE fans. They've read each one dozens of times each.

And since it's coming out in the middle of the summer and 2 of them will be at sleep away camp (different camps of course) and one remaining home - yup, we've preordered THREE copies of the book.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm with Robin--I just couldn't get into the book. Love the movies though! Both my kids have read all the books. DD will be in China when the newest book comes out, so she'll have to wait until she gets home to get it and read it. I assume DS will read it after her (he isn't as voracious a reader as she is).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm a huge fan; they are some of my favorite books. Like you Mandalinn, I read them all in one sitting because I just couldn't put them down. I've read most of the book several times and am currently re-reading the entire series in preparation for the last book in July.

I like the movies too, but they can never compare the books.

catsnhorses - My theory is that Dumbledore is going to come back in some form or other. He is closely associated with the phoenix, which rises again after dying, and his coffin burst into flames at his funeral.

I think that Voldemorte will be destroyed (these are supposed to be children's books, after all) and I think Snape is going to turn out to be a good guy (Snape is my favorite character), but I think you are right, Mandalinn, that Harry is going to die. Early on, Dumbledore says something to Harry about death being the next adventure.

What I really want if for Harry to survive and for there to be an 8th book with no Voldemort, just Harry, Ron, and Hermione doing magic and having fun.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #14  
Dieting Diva

The Ellen clip is here. She is something else.
My parents have agreed to watch my toddler when the movie come out so I can take DS13. I read a couple of the books to him when he was younger. It takes a while- but worth it.
I am thinking I will get it off of Amazon as the last time I had to ride all the way into town and hunt one down when it came out.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #15  
No description available.

I would love to hear your theory, too, Aphil.

I love the books and the movies. Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite for both!

I agree that Snape is a good guy. I suspect he will lay his life down to save Harry's in some way.

I also wonder about Longbottom. There are many parallels between his life and Harry's and some of the predictions for Harry could line up well for Longbottom too. I would have to go reread to pull out specific examples, but I do recall having several "HMMMMMMM" moments. I think he will be more significant than one would expect.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote