General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

She is playing Bellatrix LeStrange.

And a perfect fit, IMO.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #107  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Here's something I have been thinking about recently. Didn't Harry witness his mother's death when he was a baby? If so, why didn't he see thestrals right from the beginning? Why did he only start seeing them after Cedric died?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #108  
Addicted to potato salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
She is playing Bellatrix LeStrange.

And a perfect fit, IMO.

IMO2!! Now if we could just sneak Johnny Depp in there, too...but I heard that JKR only wants British-born actors in the movie series. Maybe Orlando Bloom? Is he British or just REALLY good at the accents? I can see it now...Harry Potter and the Revenge of the Black Pearl...or something like that...
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #109  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
Here's something I have been thinking about recently. Didn't Harry witness his mother's death when he was a baby? If so, why didn't he see thestrals right from the beginning? Why did he only start seeing them after Cedric died?

Jo (J.K. Rowling) explained this in an interview. It was because Harry was too young-a baby-when his mother was killed. He doesn't remember it, and when it happened, he was too young to understand what was taking place. Up until he was 11, he thought they had been killed in a car accident. When Cedric was killed-he was fully aware of what had happened, and was emotionally affected by witnessing it.

Techwife-the actors in the HP films have all different accents-British, Irish, Scottish, French, etc. you can hear it if you listen closely. I noticed right away from Goblet Of Fire that Cho Chang's accent was Scottish.

I love Orlando-but I am actually glad that they didn't use him in the films. I associate him too much with Legolas from LOTR, and William Turner from POTC. (Two other series that I really really love!)
Old 07-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #110  
Addicted to potato salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post

Techwife-I noticed right away from Goblet Of Fire that Cho Chang's accent was Scottish.

I noticed that, too. Cute girl, cute accent. I can't wait to see Harry hit it off with her in OotP. Although my daughter is green with envy.

I love Orlando-but I am actually glad that they didn't use him in the films. I associate him too much with Legolas from LOTR, and William Turner from POTC. (Two other series that I really really love!)

Me too and I agree. I can't think of a role Orlando would fit in, actually...maybe a Malfoy relative with the hair from his elf costume in LOTR. But I don't think there is one...at least not one significant enough to warrant Orlando Bloom for the role...just wishful thinking...
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #111  
Pending Email Confirmation

The first three movies were on ABC family this weekend - so I watched them in preparation for Order of the Phoenix. Wow - did anybody else absolutely hate The Prisoner of Azkaban?
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #112  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
The first three movies were on ABC family this weekend - so I watched them in preparation for Order of the Phoenix. Wow - did anybody else absolutely hate The Prisoner of Azkaban?

Nope.

Personally so far I love them all, but my least favorite is Goblet Of Fire. I love Lupin in POA, especially. He was my favorite character in the film.

I did watch them in prep for the film, to see the tidbits and extras of OOTP between the films.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Wow, what a great thread. My whole family, SIL, nieces included love these books and are always debating our theories. We had come up with the Harry horcrux theory. I think the snake horcrux was there to show that a living horcrux is possible. I don't like it, but it makes sense to me. Also love Snape, he has always been the most interesting character to me. But I can't join the Snape lust train. Although I love Alan Rickman, as Snape he's not hot. But I think Snape is still faithful to Dumbledore. I also love Neville and am looking forward to his moment of glory which I'm sure will arrive in the book. I also want to read Harry snogging with Luna.
My nieces still laugh because I was sure snogging must mean something more serious than kissing. And when I started reading about the kids snogging in the hallways of Hogwarts, I was appalled. Although my kids love them, I don't consider these to be kids' books. And therefore I will not be surprised or shocked at anything JKR chooses to put in there.
The prophecy is intentionally obscure and has always bothered me because I think I'm just not getting the real meaning of it. It's definitely not as obvious as one will have to kill the other.
Aphil, you are the master. I am looking forward to coming back to this thread after reading the book and seeing who gets the prize!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #114  
Pending Email Confirmation

As a movie PoA wasn't bad - as someone who enjoyed the book ... it was a disappointment. Too many inconsistencies and things that were just skipped over and left out. Also as someone who is a "movie snob" certain scenes seemed to be there just to be pretty and didn't really have much of a purpose beyond that... and while some movies need scenes like that, I didn't think this one really did. Some characters (Malfoy for instance) were entirely out of their usual character in this one too.
Meh - I haven't rewatched The Goblet of Fire yet... can't wait to though.

The closer it comes the more exciting it is.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 266/260/143

Height: 5"8'

I'm a huge fan!! I've just purchased tickets for the movie which will screen here in Australia tomorrow!!! Can't wait!! Book coming out soon too!
I lived in Japan for 12mths back in 2005 and the Harry Potter books got a lot of us foreigners through the non-English speaking lifestyle we had to become accustomed!
avaroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #116  

I try to separate the books and the films...you really have to. It is almost impossible for a really good novel to be properly protrayed as well as it was in the book-the only cases that I really think the films do the books justice are in the LOTR trilogy, and Silence Of The Lambs.

I don't know what I think about the Harry=horcrux theory. (Dumbledore suspected, but it hasn't been proven yet, that Nagini is a horcrux.) Also, killing someone doesn't automatically make a horcrux. If that was all there was to it, then Tom Riddle would not have had to ask around (Slughorn, etc.) about how to do it. It is a step in the process, but you don't just kill someone and a horcrux is made automatically. If that were the case, then a lot of wizards would have horcruxes, and another would have been made when Cedric died.

I guess I am more on the side that Harry isn't a horcrux. He was supposed to die with the Avada Kedavra curse, and is the only known person to have survived the curse-taking power from Voldemort in the process. This basically fufilled the prophecy given by Trelawney, because by transferring this power, he gave Harry the power to be his equal/"marked him as his equal".

I don't believe that the "neither can live while the other survives" part means that Harry will have to die to kill Voldemort. For me, it means that while they both live, they are both determined and obsessed with defeating the other-and they cannot concentrate on anything else. So, they are not living. Harry telling Ginny that they can't be together is a perfect example of this. He cannot live a normal life while Voldemort goes on...and Voldemort cannot go on while he sees Harry as a threat.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #117  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Aphil - LOL about books vs movies and LOTR, I loved the LOTR movies but couldn't even make it through the first book because I thought it was so boring.

It is hard with the HP movies because they have to cut out so much to make it fit in 2 hours that by focusing on getting the whole plot of one single book, they have to cut out those important things that connect one movie to the next. I remember after watching PoA I thought "That was good, but if you haven't read the book you'll be missing out on half the plot." Anyway I'll be rewatching it this week, and goblet of fire, with my fiance who has never read the books (though he's taken me to the movies).

I don't think Harry is a horcrux either. After just rereading half-blood prince, it seems like after killing someone there is another additional spell to be performed. If Voldemort was "gone" after trying to kill Harry and failing, he couldn't have done the additional spell.

About the "neither can live while the other survives," well, it can't be taken literally because they are both alive at the moment (in book time anyway). If it was taken literally, Voldemort would not have been able to come back in a physical body unless Harry was dead. I think Aphil has it right -- until one of them is dead both of them will be obsessed with killing each other.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #118  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm seeing the Movie Tomorrow @12:01 am Technically wednesday. . .yeah work is going to suck but I couldn't concentrate if I was thinking about Harry All day!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Have any of you watched the movies on TV and then watched them on DVD and noticed that the DVDs left some scenes out? I've noticed it in COS and POA, but haven't checked the others. It's extremely frustrating. I did get the DVDs as a gift, so maybe there's an extended version out that I don't have.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #120  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever read the book right before seeing the movie version again. I did that with Goblet of Fire and the movie stunk (even though I watched it 4 times within 2 days)--the details of the book are too fresh in my mind and I keep thinking "they didn't do this, or he didn't say that, so-and-so did!". Especially w/GOF they condensed it way too much and left out the entire Dursley family and Winky the house elf and too many other details too numerous to mention.

It's funny because I enjoyed the POA movie over the other previous ones, but I enjoy watching them all over and over again. I just ordered the OOTP soundtrack from Amazon. I keep wondering if the movie will have Sirius' mother shrieking from her portrait.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote