Old 11-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Wink Healthy Hearth recipes

I was thinking it might be fun to share some recipes that we use for celebrations and holidays if anyone is interested

The Kitchen Witch's Creed

In this pot, I stir to the sun
an' follow the rule of harming none.

Banishment of bane when goin' widdershins;
an' with water and salt negativity is cleansed.

Household duties are more than chores.
Magick abounds when mopping floors.

With this broom, I do sweep
to clean my house and safely keep.

Marigold, Basil, Thyme, and Yarrow
my spell is cast for a better tomorrow.

Lemons for joy and apples for health
the pow'r within brings great wealth.

And, in this kitchen I do pray
To truly walk the Witches' Way

Copyright 1998, 1999 E. Zeigler
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #2  

I am going to make this one for our annual holiday open house:

Wassail
5 cups apple cider
3 cups dry red wine
1/4 cup granulated or packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
1 stick cinnamon,3 inches long

1.Mix all ingredients in 3 1/2 - 6 quart slow cooker.

2.Cover and cook on low heat setting 3-4 hours.Remove cloves,allspice,and cinnamon before serving.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #3  

Here's another yummy sounding one - I just love cider!

Spiced Cran-Apple Cider

1 48 oz bottle apple cider (about 6 cups)
1 48 oz bottle cranberry juice cocktail (about 6 cups)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons whole allspice
4 sticks cinnamon,3 inches long

1.Mix all ingredients in 3 1/2- to 6- quart slow cooker.

2.Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours.

3. Remove allspice and cinnamon before serving.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

here's the first, a website i found to be interesting and have a lot of recipes..

PaganHearthRecipes

The following recipes I make every year, usually on Samhain but sometimes for Thanksgiving or Christmas... I got them from Scott Cunninghams book "Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner" ... though I have modified them slightly for my own needs.

crescent cakes:

1 cup finely ground almonds
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 drops almond extract
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg yolk

cream sugars and butter together. Add extract and yolk. add to flour & almonds. combine until well blended. Chill dough.
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Shape walnut sized pieces of dough into a crescent shape and bake on a greased pan for about 20 minutes.
Liz's Tips: the almonds don't HAVE to be finely ground, I have never done this and they always come out fine. I prefer a little vanilla extract to the almond, but that's just personal taste. Also if you think you can go on the larger side with these, think again... it just doesn't work! They come out burny on the bottom and doughy on the top and sort of spread out and don't look like crescents anymore - so smaller = better.

Soft Mead:
1 quart water
1 cup honey
1 sliced lemon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

boil together all ingredients. while boiling skim off the rising "scum" with a spoon. When no more rises, add the follwing:
pinch of salt
juice of 1/2 a lemon

Strain and cool. Great hot as well!

Liz's Tips: I usually add orange slices and cinnimon to this as well. And I have never served it cold, so I'm not sure how it would be, I do like it hot. Sort of a warming feel good beverage. Would be great if you had a cold too.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #5  

Default Buche de Noel (Yule Log)

Ingredients:

* Generous 3/4 cup flour
* Scant 3/4 cup superfine sugar
* 4 eggs, separated
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken into squares
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons rum
* Confectioner's sugar for dusting

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375º F. Line (with foil or baking parchment) a 16 x 11 jelly roll pan.
Grease and flour the lining. If you don't have a jelly roll pan use a large cookie sheet, but it won't come out right if it's not approximately those measurements.

Set aside 2 tablespoons of the allotted sugar, then whisk the remainder in with the egg yolks
until thick and pale. Stir in the extract. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk the rest of the sugar into the egg whites until it is stiff. Sift 1/2 of the allotted flour over the yolk mix, then add 1/4 of the egg white mix and mix together.

Put in the rest of the flour and start folding it in with your hands or a plastic spatula. Then finally put in the rest of the whites and mix it in. Spread
this mix out evenly on the jelly roll pan and bake for about 15 minutes.

Sprinkle some sugar onto a sheet of wax paper and flip the cake over onto it. Roll it up (so that it is shorter and thicker rather than longer and skinnier) with the wax paper in it, and let it cool. In the mean time you can make the filling.

Boil the cream and pour over the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl to let it melt. Beat this mixture with a mixer until it's thick. Take a third of the mix out and set it aside, then stir the rum into the larger portion. If it is really runny and too liquid, you might consider chilling it an hour or so until it's spreadable. When ready, unroll the cooled cake and spread the chocolate rum mix onto it evenly. Re-roll it--no wax paper in between layers this time--and now you're ready for ornamentation.

If you desire--though this isn't necessary--slice off a little piece of the end at a slant and then stick it to the side like an off-growing branch. Whether or not you do this, the next step is to frost using the set-aside cream-chocolate mix. Spread it all over the top and sides so that it is completely covered except for the ends that look like the inside of a cut-down tree. Drag a fork
across the surface carefully so that it ends up resembling tree bark. When it's set, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top like snow. Put on a plate and if you like garnish it with cookies, candy coins, or seasonal decorations.

Source: Linda Doeser, Cooking for Christmas
Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #6  

Default Warm apple cider

Using a large pot on medium heat, warm 1 - 1 1/2 Gallon of Apple Juice

In a Muslin bag (or Tea bag) place the following
4-5 3" cinnamon Sticks
1/10th oz. Whole Cloves
2-3 1/2" pieces of whole ginger

Add bag to Apple Juice and allow to sit 10-15 minutes before use.
Leave bag in and Serve Warm.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #7  

Smile Ginger Bread

1 cup dark molasses
½ cup hot water
5 tbs butter
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp grated fresh ginger
a few pieces candied ginger, diced very fine
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large heat proof bowl melt the butter in hot water and then mix in molasses. Add flour, salt, ginger and baking soda. Turn into greased pan, sprinkle with candied ginger.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. A dark traditional ginger bread for the longest night of the year, and a celebration of the rebirth of the Sun.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #8  
Lisa

S/C/G: 205/205/145

This is a recipe to make mead. I like to do this in the summer in preparation to give as gifts at Christmas. It's delicious, and anything that takes this long is usually done with lots of love and good energy put into it. Enjoy!

Basic Mead

1 gallon water
2 oranges
½ pkg sparkling yeast
3 pounds dark honey
1 lemon
Ginger
Cinnamon
Clove
Mint
Star Anise

Place honey with water in a 2 gallon pot over medium heat. Slice in the oranges and lemon in large enough pieces to be removed with a slotted spoon later. Bring the mead to a gentle rolling boil, skimming off any scum which rises to the top over the next hour. Strain out the fruit pieces and any spices you may have added, and let cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile, suspend the yeast (dissolve it) in ¼ cup warm water. Stir this into liquid only after the mead reaches room temperature or you’ll kill the yeast. Allow this mixture to sit with a woven cover (like a dish towel) for seven days until the first first fermentation has slowed considerably. Strain again, trying to pour off only the clearer top fluids into a bottle to age. These bottles should be lightly corked for about two months, or fixed with a fermentation lock. Strain again then tightly seal them for 6 months before using.
oh_surfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #9  

Default Hallowmass Cakes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, combine vegetable oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt into oil mixture. Chill for several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Roll about a Tablespoon of dough into a ball. Drop balls into confectioners' sugar, and roll until coated. Place balls about 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 min. The cakes should be a soft and the edges should be firm. Do not overbake; they burn easily. Makes about 3 doz

Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #10  

Default Colcannon (low-fat)

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
  • 1 small cabbage, cored and chopped
  • 2 small leeks, white parts only, sliced
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Directions:

Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a second pot, boil or steam cabbage for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, cover and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, simmer leeks in milk for 5 minutes.B(3,3)

When leeks are soft, remove with a slotted spoon and put to one side, reserving the milk.

When potatoes are tender, drain well. Add half the milk used to simmer the leeks. Mash the potatoes until all the lumps have gone. Add cream cheese and white pepper then mash again until blended. Use remaining milk if needed. Stir in cabbage and leeks.

Serve immediately.
Serves 6-8

Per Serving: Calories 132, Calories from Fat 6, Total Fat 0.7g (sat 0.2g), Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 113mg, Carbohydrate 25.3g, Fiber 4.2g, Protein 6.2g
Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 AM   #11  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Oooh, colcannon is one of my favorites because I love cabbage. When I make it, I just mash the boiled potatoes as they are, without adding anything. I fry the raw cabbage (I hate boiled or steamed cabbage!) and onion (or leeks if I have any) for a bit then add the mashed potatoes, stir well til the potatoes begin to brown and season well with fresh-ground black pepper.

But that recipe you've listed sounds lovely and creamy. I'll have to give it try.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #12  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Has anyone made any of the bread from "A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook" by Patricia Telesco? The bread seems to want to crumble in the recipe I am making. I followed just what is says, so I'm not sure why it's like that. Unless it's suppose to be. My mom thinks the recipe in the book is wrong. I'm making the May Day Maple Hearth Bread.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #13  
Restarting my journey :)

S/C/G: 210/184/130

Height: 5ft 6

This isn't something to be used in ritual, but is great for a samhain feast, I got the recipe from a friend on the internet and have just tried it out, it's yummy, cheap, and so cosy in my tummy, haha

Sweet Potato soup...

1 large sweet potato, 2 carrots, 1 medium onion, all chopped roughly
1.5 stock, I used vegetable, but you can use chicken if you like

Fry the chopped sweet potato, carrot and onion for a few minutes in a little oil then add the stock so all the veg is nicely covered, bring to the boil and then simmer till all the veg is nice and soft then stick in the blender, or use a hand blender to whizz the ingredients up, reheat if needed and serve. YUM!

The sweet potato I used was quite large and I used 1.5 pints as opposed to the 1 pint of stock recommended to me, but this made three large portions and was super tasty... I can't wait for lunch to roll on tomorrow, hehe.

Enjoy xx
going2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #14  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

Thumbs up Rock!

oh my godesses-Colcannon not full or lard/butter etc! I love my Irish cuisine.
Thanks!
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #15  
Frenchy

S/C/G: 198/198/125

Height: 5'4

I came up with a way to eat runny eggs on toast in the morning without the wait of frying when you are in a hurry.

I cook several 3 min eggs by putting eggs in water before it boils and after the 3 min I take them off the burner and rinse with cold water and refrigerate.
When I get up each morning while my bread is toasting I put my egg in a cup and run hot water over it. When the toast is done I use the spray butter and I carefully peel the shell, it is warm and runny and away I go out the door. Love this stuff
frenchy2 is offline   Reply With Quote