2 to 3 tsp. vinegar
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
frenchy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #17  
Crazy Cat Woman

S/C/G: 284/274/165

Height: 5' 4"

Aah, ladies! You're making me long for the fall to come! And the holidays with it!

I need to try everything mentioned here. I had a recipe for a lovely pan dulce that's traditional for Day of the Dead. I'll try to post it when I get home.
duckchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #18  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Spiced Milk with honey

1 quart milk
1 tablespoon honey
4 cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf

In a pot combine spices, milk and honey. Heat gently over medium heat for 10 minutes (do not boil), stirring frequently. Strain into large mug and remove spices and bay leaf. Top with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and serve hot.

I find this to be a great alternative if you want something warm to drink that is caffeine free.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #19  

Default Honey Cakes

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup Riesling wine

1 egg

2/3 cup flour

1 cup honey

2 tbs sugar

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

Dash of salt

PREPARATION:

In a large bowl beat the egg together with the wine. In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Stir until blended through. Let stand for 30 minutes.

In another small bowl, mix the honey and nutmeg. In a skillet, heat up about a 1/2 inch of oil. Drop a tablespoon of batter into the oil and fry until golden brown. Drain off the oil, and dip into the honey mixture.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #20  

Default Yule log cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup Brown sugar, firmly packed

3 Tablespoons Butter or margarine, softened

1 Egg

1 cup All-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon Baking powder

1/2 teaspoon Ground cardamom

1/4 teaspoon Baking soda

1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon Ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon Ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg

Red and green decorator icing (can be bought at specialty shops or grocery store baking sections)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter or margarine together until blended. Add the egg; beat until well blended.

In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices together mix well.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a large spoon or a electric hand mixer until well blended.

Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough with your hands to make two 10 1/2-inch logs; flatten slightly to 1 1/4 inches in diameter. With a spatula, place the logs 2 to 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Dip a non-serrated knife in water; score each log diagonally at 3/4-inch intervals. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until set and no longer moist. Cool for 1 minute. Remove from the cookie sheet; place on a wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut the logs at the scored lines.

Cool completely. Decorate each cookie with decorator icing to resemble a holly leaf and berries.