Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #1  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Height: 5'7"

Default brown rice...

Hi all -
Here is the thing - I want to get on board with this whole brown rice movement, but when I made it the other night it was chewy which made me think that I didn't make it right or cook it long enough. I cooked it in the oven like I cook white rice.
How do you all cook it? Any advice?

Thanks!!!
BrunetteChic_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #2  

Brown rice is chewier than white. It has a higher fiber content -- which is one of the main reasons to eat it -- and that makes it chewier.

However, in terms of cooking, it does take longer to cook. Did you read the directions on the package? I don't know that it will tell you about cooking in the oven, but it will give you the cooking time for stove cooking, which is generally twice as long as for white rice.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #3  
it's always something

I have really, really, really tried to like brown rice, but just can't make myself like the texture Considering that I only eat rice 2 or 3 times a year anyway, I'll stick with white.

Of course that was no help at all
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #4  

One way to make it more flavorful is to cook it in stock instead of water.. works with all grains really. Add herbs and seasonings as well. Brown rice does take longer. I generally bring two cups of liquid to a bouil, add one cup of brown rice, stir bring back to a boil cover and simmer on a med low heat for 45 minutes. I do check it at about 30-35 minutes in case I need some more liquid. I never cook white anymore.. not even with homemade chinese Brown rice also freezes so you can make a big batch and freeze some for later use and just nuke.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

The Uncle Ben's Converted white rice and the Uncle Ben's Brown rice I make take exactly the same amount of time to cook, 20 minutes...

Suzanne I have made a mixture of brown and white rice for the kids and they like it better than just the brown alone, they love white rice better of course
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:17 AM   #6  

I love brown rice, I think it has a lot more flavour than white. I bought a brown basmati this week, and it is gorgeous! Even DH loved it! It's definitely chewy, it fills you up a lot more than the white stuff.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

traditional Brown rice IE not success rice or something takes 45 minutes to cook. If you use a little extra water it's not as chewy
LindaT can you just bag it up and freeze it or is there some method?
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #8  

Converted rice, and rices like Success brand, are pre-cooked to the same point; that's why cooking them takes the same amount of time regardless of them being white or brown.

I often use Success brown rice and it works just fine for me, and takes just 10 minutes.

I agree about cooking rice & other grains in stock for a change of pace. I ALWAYS cook couscous in low sodium chicken broth, at least 1/2 and 1/2 with water if not full strength.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #9  

Kierie,

You got it. Just cook it and bag it. I've frozen brown rice, couscous , bulgur wheat and quinoa. All have turned out just fine.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
You got it. Just cook it and bag it. I've frozen brown rice, couscous , bulgur wheat and quinoa. All have turned out just fine.
I never thought of doing that, I work later shifts and get home at 9.30 at night, I often have the protein of my meal ready to go in 5 minutes, and am still waiting for my carb. Thanks for the tip, great idea.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #11  

The brown rices that I've bought (an instant version and a long cooking one) take 1 1/2 cups of water for every cup of rice, and I've found that it tastes better and has better texture for me than the white. I've even converted my family! Go figure.
~Kerri~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #12  

Hi

Just read this post and thought I would add my two cents.

When I cook brown rice - i often soak the rice in water overnight, the next day it cooks quicker & isn't as chewy. This is the only time my husband will eat brown rice.

Having said that I try and eat foods with a low GI value and basmati (white) rice has a lower GI than brown rice. So we tend to use this as well.
specialness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #13  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I buy the short grain brown rice (Diamond brand) and cook it in a pressure cooker. I have a pressure cooker that goes on the stove and an electric one too. I prefer cooking the rice in the electric one as it is easier to use and will also keep the rice warm until dinner.

My husband does not like the texture of brown rice. An enigma to me as I just love the chewiness. So I compromise and mix brown rice with short grained white rice.

I used to add a little brown rice to the white but over time unbeknowest to my husband I have little by little changed the ratio. Now I add a little white rice to the brown... he doesn't even know!

My little secret.. well now it is ours.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #14  

Brown rice doesn't have to be difficult

Have you heard? Carbs are back in vogue. Well, maybe not nationwide, but at least one diet gaining popularity these days emphasizes the importance of healthy complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, which should probably be a part of any healthful diet. Not only is brown rice a healthy choice, it's an economical one, too. But brown rice is not easy to prepare. Even following the instructions on the bag may not produce a tasty result.

Turn up the heat too high and you have a burnt pot and crunchy kernels. Add too much water and the rice will swell into a gelatinous mass. Fail to start cooking the rice early and it won't be done in time. But brown rice doesn't have to be difficult. In fact it can be as foolproof as preparing white rice, as long as you understand how to cook it.

The secret for preparing perfect brown rice, according to the folks at Cook's Illustrated (www.cooksillustrated.com), who do an amazing job of testing and developing foolproof methods for the kitchen, is to bake it in the oven. Making certain your proportions and measurements are exact is mandatory. Don't guess. Measure. Here are recipes from Cook's Illustrated for baked brown rice and a rice salad.

FOOLPROOF OVEN-BAKED BROWN RICE
1-1/2 cups long-, medium- or short-grain brown rice
2-1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons butter or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 375 F and move a rack to the middle position. Spread the rice into an 8-inch square, glass baking dish. In a covered saucepan on the stove, bring the water and butter or oil to a boil over high heat. Once it begins to boil, stir in the salt and pour over the rice. Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake for one hour, until tender. Remove from the oven and uncover. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover for another 5 minutes, then serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.

Variations:

SUCCULENT BROWN RICE: You can dress up the brown rice recipe above by substituting chicken or vegetable broth for the water. Add 1/2 onion, chopped and sauteed in 1 tablespoon oil, at the same time you pour the liquid over the raw brown rice. When you remove the rice from the oven and fluff with a fork, stir in 3/4 cup frozen peas. Re-cover and proceed as described above. The peas will heat through during the standing time.

ORANGE VINAIGRETTE BROWN RICE SALAD: Follow the foolproof recipe above. While the rice is in the oven, in a small bowl whisk together 2/3 cup orange juice; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar; 2 tablespoons honey; 2 teaspoons orange zest; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1-1/2 cups spinach leaves, packed; 2 large oranges, peeled and sectioned and cut into bite-size pieces; and 1/3 cup red onion. When you remove the rice from the oven, pour this dressing over the hot cooked rice and mix well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until cold.
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote