View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #4
Mummy_Tummy
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 174/167/130

Height: 5'2"

I have 4 children. My sons (18 and 11) are not really interested in spiritual matters much but my daughters (14 and 22 months) are right little witches. Because I found my faith when my 3 older kids were still small, they weren't raised as openly with Paganism but I'm remarried to a wonder Pagan man and we have a young daughter who is being raised in our traditions. I can recommend 3 books off the top of my head. Here are the reviews we've got listed on our website (I think I only actually wrote the middle review but I love all these books):

Circle Round : Raising Children in Goddess Traditions; Starhawk
"Circle Round" is a wonderful resource for parents of any religion who want to teach their children a reverence for nature. The authors show that the practice of Earth-centred spirituality is not a once-a-week break from the rest of our lives, it is embodied--woven into our eating, sleeping, working, playing, and even breathing. The book's three main sections cover the eight seasonal holidays of the Pagan calendar, the human life-cycle, and the elements. Each section contains activities and rituals, including stories and recipes, and covers the basics while weaving in many unexpected gems. Suggestions range from the widely-practiced (carving pumpkins on Samhain- - the Pagan New Year, a.k.a. Halloween) to ones that would seem 'out there' to all but the most open-minded of families (a community-wide 'first blood' ritual celebrating a girl's first period). contemporary fable for Brigit (the holiday marking the beginning of Spring), and many beautiful ideas for celebrating pregnancy and birth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raising Witches: Teaching the Wiccan Faith to Children; Ashleen O'Gaea.
This book centres on a Wiccan coven or group setting but all of the rituals and ideas would be very simple to convert to any Pagan belief system and for solitary use. It isn't just a book full of cutesy Sabbat suggestions (which are great, don't get me wrong!) but is, in essence, a book about child development that "introduces and explains the concept of Regency Parenting, an exciting, new Pagan-sensitive approach to raising children in which emphasis is taken off parental power over children and is placed on the importance of helping children grow and reach their full potential as adults". I was amazed at how much her ideas and theories of child development fall in line with mine. The only thing I disagree with is the bit about children taking part in Skyclad ritual. She doesn't say do it and in fact, strongly cautions against it if you are risk of being reported to Social Services, but she basically says it is up to the parent. I personally think no under-aged members of the Circle should be exposed to nudity. There are other ways of teaching respect and reverence for the human body. Other than that, I really recommend this book. (Garnet)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celebrating the Great Mother : A Handbook of Earth-Honouring Activities for Parents and Children; Cait Johnson, Maura D. Shaw
This handbook of Earth-honouring activities for parents and children provides a family-oriented approach to the rituals of celebration, giving parents and adults insights into the spiritual experiences which will inspire kids and help them to understand holiday meanings. Techniques ranging from visualization to Tarot play are developed with kids in mind.