Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 - Greek Chicken

Greek Chicken

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled - I used fat free, can also use low fat
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 -1.5 cups chicken stock - use too much and the sauce will be runny
2 cups loosely packed torn fresh spinach leaves - *use a LOT more*
1 ripe tomato, chopped - User more!

Note - adjust seasonings to your own taste.. add more or change them!

In a small bowl, combine cheese, lemon juice, and oregano. Set aside.

With a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread cheese mixture on each chicken breast, leaving 1/2 inch border. Fold chicken breasts in half; secure each with toothpick. Season breast with salt and pepper

In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Pour chicken stock over chicken breasts in pan. Add spinach and tomato to skillet, and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Discard toothpicks before serving.

* if the sauce is too runny- in a bowl, whisk a little whole wheat flour with some water til smooth, Add this to the sauce and heat til thickened to desired consitency.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #2  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

Linda, I made this yesterday for dh for dinner and let me tell you it was FABULOUS! He worked late and so I put the girls to bed, and then set out making dinner. I set out my china he gave me for christmas to make it seem fancier and made a quick tossed salad, and I cheated a little by using the left over pasta from Friday night for our grain...and then I made the chicken, but instead of just folding it over, I rolled it like a pinwheel...next time I make it I think I'm going to improvise a little and add some of the spinich and tomatoes inside the roll, and possibly some pine nuts, if I have any on hand...which I never do

But, just wanted you to know that this recipie was supper yummy and can't wait to make it again!
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #3  
Cat Wrangler

Oh, Tammie, your changes sound really good. I was trying to decide how to cook our chicken for tonight, and this just might be it!

BTW, if you liked this, check out the shrimp recipe I posted yesterday. It sounds like the flavors would be very similar, so you'd probably like it, too.
terravita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #4  
Cat Wrangler

Me again....

I did make this tonight, and it was wonderful. I took Tammie's suggestion and added some of the spinach and tomatoes to the cheese mixture. I also added about a tablespoon of minced sun-dried tomatoes. For the sauce, I used 1 cup of broth and 1/2 cup of white wine. I think my total amount of spinach was 6 cups, and I put in 5 tomatoes.

Anyway, we loved it, and I think this will be on my table at least twice a month.

Jeri
terravita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #5  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

Jeri, the idea about the white wine and the dried tomatoes makes a nice touch....I think we'll have to give that a try as well!
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I want to compliment you all on the great job you are doing with the recipes here. It is amazing how many of these are also low carb friendly or can be easily modified. I'm going to make this for dinner tonight and I ran the recipe through Master Cook. I thought you guys might like the nutritional info per serving: 359 calories, 12 g fat, 56 g protein, 3 g carbs, 1 g fiber (may be more depending on how much spinach you use), 148 mg cholesterol, 911 mg sodium.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #7  
Canada

Ok, We had this and I didn;t have a mallet, so I just cut Pockets into the side of the chicken breasts and stuffed them silly. Was SUPER good. Made 6 breasts.. Husband hates the idea of feta, but ate it all... said he would eat anything when hungry... posh! I think he liked it.. lol. Gave to 3 friends! Super good.
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5/8

Default Yummy

This is the first meal I've made on the Sonoma Diet. Instead of stuffing the chicken, I put the lemon/cheese in the sauce. My family loved it! Who says eating healthy has to make everyone unhappy? lol Thanks for the recipe!
Ladyluvmenot is offline   Reply With Quote