Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #76  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Well, I'm not very proud of my lunch choices today, but I'm pleading temporary insanity, on the grounds that the PMS monster made me do it! I also had at the not very far back of my mind that I have chemo tomorrow and will feel like crap, so I had a minor party in my mouth at the midday, but still didn't go terribly far off for the day calories-wise. Nutritional ratios are completely for crap, but oh well! It was a controlled, planned, cheat meal that didn't throw me off for the week -- or even the day. Ok, enough justifying and stalling....here it is, in all it's glory!

Today’s eats, 4/20:

Breakfast: ½ cup Kashi Go Lean and ½ cup All Bran Extra Fiber w/8 oz. skim milk; 1 protein drink
Lunch: ½ filet of fish and ½ Big and Tasty burger from McDonald’s, w/regular fries and a diet coke (Yep, I ate every one of those fries! )
Dinner: 3 oz. grilled skinless chicken breast w/rosemary, lemon, and fresh garlic; 3 cups chopped romaine w/my homemade lemon juice/olive oil/garlic/shaved Pecorino Romano dressing and 4 croutons (Marie Callender’s – yum!) Also, 2 Miller Lights
Water: 80 oz. (not good)
Calories: 1795; 30% fat / 23% protein / 38% carb’s / 9% alcohol

I'll try to get on tomorrow night to report my eats, but with chemo I'm not sure how I'll feel -- I'm starting some new med's tomorrow that knock me on my butt -- so I may update on Friday instead. (When I'm all hopped up on steroids! )

Keep up the good work, everybody!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #77  
Crazy Canuck

That lunch wasn't so terribly bad, Sarah....but I need to know....who ate the remaining ½ filet of fish and ½ Big and Tasty burger??

I know we're sort of advocating a tough love feel to this thread, but we have to allow you some latitude considering what you're facing tomorrow (and I'd like the others to note Sarah's example of how one off plan meal doesn't have to spoil the entire day!)

Good luck with your session tomorrow, though I know the next few days will be crappy - here's hoping the crappiness will be held to a bare minimum.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:37 AM   #78  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillegal
That lunch wasn't so terribly bad, Sarah....but I need to know....who ate the remaining ½ filet of fish and ½ Big and Tasty burger??
Noone. I threw them away. Lorraine (my partner, for those of you who don't know me yet ) had a Quarter Pounder, but I couldn't decide which treat I was going to allow myself, so we got both.

Quote:
I know we're sort of advocating a tough love feel to this thread, but we have to allow you some latitude considering what you're facing tomorrow
I wholeheartedly endorse and support the tough love feel present here in this thread -- I think it's absolutely terrific and just what the doctor ordered -- so I struggled a little with whether or not it was appropriate for me to participate on this thread at this time. I know I can't hold myself to the same standard during chemo that I did prior to the diagnosis, and I feel a little wierd about getting "preferential treatment" here but it just kind of is what it is at present. My priority is to just get through this treatment as emotionally and physically intact as possible, with my previous healthy eating habits my overall norm. At the same time, if an off-plan treat is going to make me smile and give me pleasure and it's not become a pattern or ongoing issue, I'm not going to stress too much. My commitment to myself is that these treats are the exception rather than the rule, and that they don't evolve into crazy quantities or last all day.

Quote:
(and I'd like the others to note Sarah's example of how one off plan meal doesn't have to spoil the entire day!)
Like I said, this was my commitment to myself. I'm trying to balance my desire to lose weight and live a long, healthy life with the more urgent priority of just trying to survive this grueling treatment. So I do appreciate your recognition of the positive in my day!

Quote:
Good luck with your session tomorrow, though I know the next few days will be crappy - here's hoping the crappiness will be held to a bare minimum.
Thank you!! I get a lot of anticipatory nausea now, so for the first time, I'm going to go into it mildly drugged (Ativan, if you know it) -- I'm not going to go into all the details of my treatment and side effects and all -- I like you all too much to put you through that! Suffice to say, it's just hard. I was on one bad week/one good week, but now the good is less. So I really appreciate your thinking of me. The good news is that the treatment's working, I'm in remission already, and this is all finite. At the end of this, I can resume my so-called normal life and get on 110% with the business of getting LEAN AND MEAN! Ok, maybe just lean.

Thanks again, Jill. You've become a real friend, and I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:10 AM   #79  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Wow now that is will power. Not only did you stay on plan but you trashed half of a burger and fish sandwich. That is fantastic.

I did good today.

1 cup Kashi w/ 1/2 cup blueberries and 1cup skim milk
2 wraps w/1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese/ tomato /spinach
2 bananas
Stir fry chicken w/rice
banana
apple
1 cup fat free cottage chees w/tomato
ice cream cone
Old 04-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #80  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Well, I actually only ate what I packed for myself yesterday, which is a step in the right direction. It's tough to work in a restaurant with all that fried, delicious-looking food...mmm...but I was good and stuck to my just-under-1500-calorie food for the day

Today's food:
Breakfast: Cocoa Puffs with skim milk
Snacks: strawberry-banana yogurt
kiwi
1/2 cup shredded bbq chicken
Lunch: 2 Lean Pockets Ultra (meatball and cheese--YUM!)
Snack: string cheese
Dinner:
Chef Boyardee cup of mac n' cheese
Snack: apple
Total: 1477 calories
Old 04-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #81  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

It is so cool to see what everyone else eats. It's so interesting!!!

Glad to say, I'm still hanging in there!!!
4/20/05
5 - Mint Zone Perfect Bar
3 - Cheese crackers
4 - Green Salad w/ chicken
1 - Strawberries w/ splenda
2 - All Bran Bar
9 - 7 oz breaded/baked chicken
4 - 1 cup rice
4 - 1 min strawberry cheesecake
32 - TOTAL

Sarah - Hope your treatment goes well today!! We're thinking about you!!!!

Willowgirl - Looks like you have some room for snacks. That might help you meet your points. Also a cup of milk is an easy 2 points addition.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #82  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Today will be better. Dinner w/friends, especially 2 skinny friends, is always hard. We made a margherita pizza though instead of meat & I insisted on a salad. We wanted margaritas w/our margherita, but I could only finish half. Same w/the Italian beer they picked out to go w/the Italian meal.

Trying to lose weight on chemo is always hard. We had to FIGHT my grandmother to get calories into her. She would crave things, but by the time we brought them to her, it didn't sound appetizing anymore. She subsisted on Carnation Instant Breakfast for awhile there. So I commend Lorraine for giving you what you want, WHEN you want it. And I commend you for being so brave, Sarah.

Also, Sandi, very proud of you for your salads, I know how much you hate vegetables.

I have packed only healthy things for today.

4/21 my little brother's 22nd birthday! (party on Saturday)

1 cup coffee w/hazelnut coffeemate
1 cup water

1/2 natural ovens onion bagel, toasted
1 serving Breakstone's FF cottage cheese
1 cup lemon ginseng green tea

1 cup coffee w/2% milk b/c that was all the vending machine had.

rest of pint of 2% milk
2 cups baby spinach w/about 3/4 c sliced portabellos
3 oz salmon (one of those pouches)
1/2 natural ovens onion bagel, toasted
1/2 liter water

1 Altoid raspberry sour candy
1 banana
12 baby carrots w/dip I made out of 1 mayo packet, 1 mustard packet and 2 packets of black pepper
1 cup green tea w/mint

Off to Mom's--she is my worst diet enemy--remember when I hit 280??? "Oh honey, you lost 50# that's SO GREAT!!!! You know, I made brownies yesterday, would you like one? I saved you the corner piece!" Wish me luck!

Mom wanted high fat fare, as usual. But I persevered.

4 chicken nuggets (serving size was 4, I used it as my appetizer)
1 cup spaghetti
1 cup california blend steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot)
1 tablespoon butter, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
8-10 oz 1% milk (mom poured it)
1/2 liter water

large bowl of air-popped popcorn, mom said she put 3 T of butter on it

So dinner was a little fatty, but overall I think I did ok.

What I could do better: Um, I could exercise. also, I have to work on my mom about how to prepare boneless skinless chicken breasts so they are as readily available to her as those chicken nuggets were.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 04-22-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #83  
Just Peachy

Happy b-day to your little bro sapf!
Kim - I currently live in Alabama, but I"m originally from Lagrange, GA. I'm a peach addict tho, this year is going to be challenging to find healthy recipes with them. Don't think peach cobbler is classified as "healthy"

Today's Eats! 4/21/05
Breakfast - Honey Nut Cheerios with skim milk.
Snack - 2 oz sweet & salty trail mix (yum)
Lunch - Veggie Sandwich (Pita stuffed with lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, green peppers, with peppercorn ranch dressing) & Citrus Fruit Cup (Grapefruit, pineapples, & oranges) I'm stuffed
Dinner - planned. Pork Sandwich (I'll get thru these left overs eventually). On whole wheat toast and with 1 cup of milk.

Thanks for the milk advice, I also needed some extra calories for the day and that puts me at 1300.

Okay I have to ask since I"m a cereal addict, what is this Kashi that everyone is eatting and is it really good?

Last edited by PeachGirl; 04-21-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #84  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Personal opinion: Kashi tastes like cardboard. I can't eat it unless I add sugar, which really defeats the purpose It is really good for you--I just can't eat it on a regular basis due to the lack of flavor. Even if I add fruit to it, I'd rather just have the fruit plain or with some granola or nuts. It's also pretty expensive compared to other cereals (of course, I buy the no-name-brand cereal in bags, so my cereal is always pretty cheap), and you have to watch the serving size because some types of Kashi only say 1/2 cup is a serving while others say 3/4 cup--just depends on which flavor cereal you choose. Some people really do like it, though--I know if I did, I would eat it every day simply because I know it's better for me than the sugared cereals I eat now!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #85  
Crazy Canuck

Ohhhhhh Sandi! I feel it radiating from you - THIS TIME IS IT! Keep it up!!! Or else....

Good to see our newbies doing well - nice going Jillybean and SAPF (stay out of bro's birthday cake, ya hear!)

Kashi cereal is da bomb, Peachgirl! Its packed with protien and fibre, is low-fat, low sodium, cholesterol free and actually tasty. Having protein in the morning has been shown to stave off feelings of hunger longer, plus the bulk makes you feel full (and helps in other ways ) In Canada I've seen Go Lean (my favourite), Go Lean Crunch (sweeter and crunchier but a little less fibre and protein) and Good Friends (which I believe has the highest fibre, but wasn't my favourite taste-wise. I haven't tried it lately though and I see on the box it says "now with tastier twigs" ).

Here's the stats for one cup of Go Lean (original)

Calories: 190
Fat: 1.5g
Protein: 14g
Fibre: 10g
Iron: 15%
Phosphous: 20%
Cholesterol: 0%
Sodium: 90m
Potassium: 500mg
Carbohydrate: 31g

Yep, Kashi is the perfect cereal in my mind (I wouldn't mind a few free boxes in exchange for the endorsement )

Breakfast: 3/4c Kashi Go Lean (surprise!) and 1/4 low fat milk. Medium banana. Mug of tea with milk.

I'm working 5pm to midnight tonight (clients flying in from Europe), so dinner will be served by the firm and challenging. I'll be checking in before I go to work for some words of encouragement and support, PLEASE!

Okay, time to leash up the pup and head for the trails for a nice long hike before lunch.

KEEP THE FAITH FOLKS, YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!

Edited to add: Just saw "Jilly the Younger's" post. Was it Kashi Good Friends that you tried? I can't imagine Go Lean or Crunch tasting like cardboard (unless they make it tastier for Canadians)

Last edited by Jillegal; 04-21-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #86  
Long Time Member

Jillybean, which ones have you tried?? I must disagree, Kashi is awesome!!! I eat the Kashi Go Lean Crunch!! It's serving size is 1 cup. You can buy it at most grocery stores. Sometimes they carry different flavors, so you might have to check around. Here is a link so you know what you are looking for. http://www.kashi.com/golean_crunch.a...ategory_ID=67& Others may be eating differnt ones, but this is my fav!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Ok Sandi, you tempted me with the Mint Zone bar every morning. I had to go out and buy one to see how it tastes. I'm sitting here munching on it as my snack. It's really good! I could definately see using this, it much better than a lot of bars I've tried. I'll have to see how long it lasts in my tummy too.

I like Kashi too, I eat the Good Friends one. Remember when we were able to count all of the fiber in points and it was 0 points?

Sarah, I hope your treatment went well today! We're thinking about you!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #88  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Kashi GOLean CRUNCH
Kashi Heart to Heart
Kashi Oatmeals
Kashi Bars

I'm sorry, but Good Friends tastes like twigs to me, the Cinnamon Raisin tastes like Cinnamon Raisin Twigs. I just got GoLean CRUNCH 2 for $5.

Quote:
SAPF (stay out of bro's birthday cake, ya hear!)
I think he is doing Atkins (his kidneys are ok), so I will be watching him blow out the candles on his birthday steak.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 04-21-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #89  
Long Time Member

Beth!!! Aren't they the best. I eat a whole one for breakfast or cut it in half (only 2 points that way!) and have a 1/2 as a snack. Biobaby taught me that!!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #90  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Jillegal are you sure that's not the stats for Go Lean Crunch. I have the Go Lean box right here and it's only 140 calories for 1 cup and 1 gram of fat. I love the stuff. I don't like the cruch though it does taste more like cardboard.
Closed Thread