Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:26 PM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 9/20 - 9/26

Good evening all. As I have class tomorrow evening, I figured I'd start this week's thread.

Janette - Congratulations on the pound gone forever! I hope you enjoyed your gardening. I hope to get a little done this fall too.

Carla - Sorry to hear about your rough couple of days. I'm glad you are feeling more in control - was it the PMS monster? He's still stamping around here but I decided to try the instant ff sf chocolate pudding (core) and considering how quick it is to make, it's not bad and it helps.

Well, believe it or not, I have a 2.8 pound gain to report! I couldn't get my rings off on Saturday morning and my chest was so sore so I knew it was water. I almost didn't go to my meeting but decided not to get into that habit again. I decided I had to stop letting the scale control me so I went, weighed in, waited for the meeting to start before looking at the bad news, and by then, it didn't seem so bad. As my leader said (she was there when I weighed in) "You know you don't gain weight in your fingers, so you know it's bloat!" Wouldn't you know it, by this morning 2.5 of those water pounds were gone. I knew dinner at mom's would mean bloat - oh well. I'm glad I went because this Sat is Yom Kippur and the following Sat is the family wedding in Charlottesville, VA. I hope to get to a Thurs eve meeting this week. I really want to check in even if it means that my weight won't be as good as a "first thing in the morning weigh in".

I did some walking, shoulder work and abs yesterday and Tony and I braved the low 60's degree, blustery weather this morning for some tennis. Unfortunately, as I was running for a ball (sort of backwards) my foot got stuck and I fell backwards, breaking my fall with the heel of my hand and knocking the wind out of me - ouch! Good news is that nothing is broken and although I felt pretty faint when I first got up, I didn't faint (I could have easily broken a wrist - it was stupid way to fall) but my hand is sore and it's a little hard to grip things. That means nix to some yoga workouts and I'll probably have to wait a couple days for some weight work. Oh well, up to then it was fun.

Have a great one!
Judy
163.6/157.2/135 WW scale
161/155/135 my scale (to see if I can get below 150 by the end of the month)
177/240 workouts

Last edited by JudySP; 09-19-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Judy - Sorry to hear about your fall. Thank goodness you didn't break your wrist! I hope it feels better soon. I'm also sorry to hear that the trip to the scale didn't bring great news, but clearly it was the water talking, so you should see a nice loss your next weigh-in. Yeah my eating junk was PMS doing it's dirty work. I'm still waiting for TOM - it's due today. Like you I'm retaining water like a fiend.

I had a pretty good weekend. Yesterday we were in the city at a children's book fair in the Hyde Park neighborhood (near the University of Chicago). So we did a lot of walking around. It was a glorious day to be outside. It's another beautiful day today and I'd like to get outside for a walk. However, I have to wait for the school psychologist from the local elementary school to call me back re: some testing for Ana. We've been trading phone calls and I don't want to miss her call. Hopefully she'll call early enough that I can get out there and enjoy the fresh air.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #3  

Carla - the children's book fair sounds like a perfect thing to do on the weekend!! I hope you were able to get out for a walk - we had some fall-like weather today - it was great to get out for recess. I also hope that you managed to get some things straightened out as far as Ana's testing. Well, girlfriend, we're on the same timing - TOM should be there soon - I got it today. Not that I'm thrilled but it does make me feel even better about the water weight and it also means that I won't have it (or at least shouldn't have it - I *never* know these days!) when we go to the wedding on Oct. 2nd. Here's to kicking that PMS monster to the curb!

I had a good day today. I ate a few WPA's but mostly because I wanted a bit of a change. No exercise today - my planned Monday rest day - given that I'm pretty crampy, I just make try to do some very gentle yoga in the morning and then see how my hand is doing tomorrow at gym period - I think I may be able to hand some weights tomorrow.

Here's a question. I wasn't planning on an any exercise today but have been feeling that I am walking more during the day (the 4th grade corridor is further away) in general so I put on my pedometer today and between work and school, I walked 2.5 miles today (over 12,000) steps. If you were me, would you count any of it as AP's??

Karen - hope you are doing well. How are things going?

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #4  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All...

I'm firmly enmeshed in Hormonal ****. I really have felt quite non-communicative. Anyway...here I am again.

Carla - congratulations on your great loss last week. I hope all goes well with Ana's testing. Early detection is key. She's lucky to have such terrific parents who'll make sure she gets whatever assistance she needs. The book fair sounds like fun!

Judy - I'm so sorry to hear about your fall; it certainly could have been worse. Take it easy for a few days. Sounds like you're getting lots of exercise at work! I must remember to use my pedometer...the mood I'm in right now, I'd count getting out of bed as activity points. I'd say if you're normally that active in the course of your work and at home, no, don't count it, but if it was an especially active day, then by all means.

I've had some good days, and some horrendous ones. Today was my first day back to work, and I've done well. I got my hair cut and coloured on Friday, so that cheered me up a bit. Yesterday I walked the dogs for an hour, and that cheered me up a bit too. Here's to an improving trend!

Have a good day,

Karen
Old 09-21-2004, 12:40 PM   #5  

Hi all.

Judy - I'm still waiting for TOM to start. It's now late by one day and I feel like a water balloon. I know tomorrow's weigh-in is going to be dismal, so I'm not going to fret about it. As for Ana's testing, the school psychologist and I were finally able to connect with each other this morning. We have a meeting tentatively scheduled for October 4th, pending the availability of Ana's teacher. She plans on having their whole team of people involved so we can assess where Ana's at and what our first steps will be. So I'm feeling very good that the school district is cooperating with us (not the impression I got when I spoke with the director of special ed for the district). I just want to know what exactly we're dealing with so we can go forward properly. In the meantime, Ana had her first session with the reading tutor at school. Re: your question regarding activity points for the walking at school/home: I wouldn't count it, but just view it as part of my daily activity. I know some people even count (and ww provides the points for) cleaning house, but I figure any calories I burn during normal activity is a bonus. I only count AP when I do sustained exercise specifically for exercise's sake. It's great that you're getting in that many steps, which is beyond the 10,000 recommended.

Karen - Ah, yes, I've been visiting that Hormonal **** myself. I was so incredibly ticked off last night at no one specifically and for no reason in particular. Thanks for the kind words. I can't imagine not wanting to help out your child when they're facing a learning difficulty. It makes my heart hurt to think of her struggling - especially with reading, which I love. But we're all keeping a good attitude about it and not making a big deal of it, so as to not freak her out. Did you get your hair cut short? Nothing like a good cut and color to improve a girl's mood. If I ever win the lottery (which, given the fact that I don't actually buy tickets, might not ever happen), I'm rounding up you women for a fabulous spa weekend. Heck, make it a fabulous spa week. I'll be fithly rich, so why limit ourselves?

Tomorrow I'm rotating back on core. Since flex hasn't been so successful this week, I might just experiment with staying on core for a couple of weeks and using points to include some non-core breakfasts and lunches. We'll see. Now I'm off to finish paying bills. Yuck.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 09-21-2004, 08:46 PM   #6  

Terrible traffic coming home from classes tonight and then a bit of a tiff with Tony plus lousy cramps so I'll write more in the morning. Carla - I just wanted to tell you that from (what little experience I have) with what I have seen, school districts can be very difficult to deal with sometimes - unfortunately, it all comes down to $$$$ (don't even get me started on that - it's galling when you bring it down to the very basic fact that we are dealing with our kids here!!!) I know you will, but just keep pushing for what you feel Ana needs. The more you can get the earlier you can get the better. And I agree with Karen - Ana is a lucky girl to have such great parents.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #7  

Hi all.

Judy - Thanks! Although I sensed some reluctance to work with me on the part of the special ed director for the district, so far my dealings with the school psychologist who will spearhead Ana's evaluation have been positive, so I'm hopeful. Ana's teacher and I will be meeting with her and her team on October 4th, so we'll see then. I know it's expensive for the district to open a case study and do the necessary testing and our district is always crying poor (which is interesting since this is an affluent area with absurdly high property values). My argument to that would be that I've been paying taxes into the system and their costs so far to educate my child have been nothing, so they can cough up some of the bucks for her. :-) Seriously, I hope that it doesn't become a push/pull thing, but I'm fortunate in that Ana's teacher will join us in being an advocate for her.

Weigh-in this morning was as dismal as I expected - up 5.2 pounds. I know that most of that is the water I'm carrying around, so I'm dealing. I just am going to aim for three losses in a row. I'm sick of being a human yo-yo.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
279.6/263.4/145
Old 09-22-2004, 04:46 PM   #8  

Karen - I'm sorry you're in Hormonal ****. I just wish the whole thing would give up the ghost already - but since TOM decided to be right on time this month, I'm sure I'm in for HH for quite some time to come!
I hope the trend has continued to improve. I'm seriously considering getting my increasing gray hairs covered but I didn't want to do anything before the wedding in case I don't like the way it turns out. I just had a haircut - it does pick you up, doesn't it?

Carla - I'm glad your dealing with the school psychologist have been positive. It sounds like there is a little team there that want the best for Ana. Hey, it's a federal law - I'll get you the exact name (or number) just in case you want to throw it around! Sorry about the scale but you know it's water - I'll bet your rings are as tight as anything.

I'm at school now (yes, again!) waiting to speak with my faculty advisor. It's been a good day so far. I got up early and did Gilad on FitTV (I couldn't decide what tape to do so I figured I'd just follow along what he did. I got a nice little workout it and have felt more energized today because of it. I fought off the temptation of a very yummy looking cupcake this afternoon (I can't WAIT until all the summer and Sept birthdays have been celebrated - there's been at least one party a week!) and have an apple to eat on the way home in case my stomach starts rumbling.

I hope to get to a meeting tomorrow but I have a podiatrist appt first, so I'll have to check the times, etc. If not, I'll just have to find some time to go next week although next week is just as crazy during the week and next Friday morning we're flying to Charlottesville, VA (sp?) for the wedding.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #9  

Judy - Yep, my rings are tight. And the federal law - I have it bookmarked in my browser. It's in my arsenal. I'm with you on the whole monthly thing giving up the ghost. I finally got my period today. Only 2 days late, so that's not too bad. Glad to hear you had a good day. I've got to get my butt in gear and start walking or something. I'd like to have a few activity points to spend on bread or whatnot.

And now off to a last gasp summer dinner - pork chops, pasta salad (with whole wheat past, which I really like - no hardship in having that) and corn on the cob. Have a good one.

Carla
Old 09-22-2004, 08:38 PM   #10  
Janette

I feel for you ladies. I am so glad all that is finally over with for me. Of course, now I don't have THAT to blame when my scale shows a gain.

I agree that activity you do just to get through the day should not be counted. Of course I can't even count my exercise since I have to exercise like a mad woman to lose anyway.

Carla, I'm sending good vibes your way for Ana.

I envy yall the fall weather--it's down to the upper 80s here so maybe in a few weeks I will feel that nip in the air!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #11  
Canadian, eh?

Hi all...

Carla - Sorry to hear about the gain. I'm up 2 lbs if it's any consolation. Glad you're liking the whole wheat pasta. I don't mind it at all either. Mike's not crazy about it, but will take it if the choice is whole wheat pasta or no pasta at all. Great that it's going well with the school psychologist. October 4 sounds a long way off, but it's just around the corner. I love your spa idea; likewise if I win the lottery, I'll treat us all! We'll throw in a personal chef too.

Judy - what fun flying away to VA for a wedding. I didn't do anything wild with my hair color; I was feeling like it was looking a little mousy & just got a slightly warmer shade plus a few highlights. I'm lucky in getting my mom's good hair genes - she's 71 and her red hair is just starting to fade and grey a little. I don't have any grey hairs yet. We've had a steady stream of cakes and doughnuts floating around at work all week; I wish they'd disappear.

Janette - Hope your weather cools down a bit soon. I love watching fall progress; watching the seasons change is one of my life's simplest but greatest pleasures.

As I said, up 2 lbs today. I've got a sinus headache thing happening today, so haven't exercised. Yesterday I TM'ed in the morning and went for a walk in the evening, so I don't feel badly for not doing anything much today.

Talk to you tomorrow,

Karen
Old 09-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #12  

I just typed out a whole response and lost it as I was posting it. The music period is almost over so I don't have time to re-create it. I'll try to get on later tonight after dinner at mom's. I have caught my first cold of the school year (sore throat yesterday and an almost chest cold today) so I haven't exercised. Food-wise has been fine. I've been saving points for dinner and mom's tonight (mostly core) and a welcome breakfast for the new principal (interim) and asst principal (it was yummy) and I'll be fine points wise. My old scale went blewy - Tony got a Tanita - it's great - higher than the old one and very close to the "official" WW scale.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #13  

Hi all.

Janette - Thanks for the good vibes. Don't envy me my fall weather as it's been in the lower 80s here as well. Although I think it's in the 70s today. Anyway, it's been beautiful and I'm not complaining, especially after the cool summer we had.

Karen - Sorry about the gain. You'll have it right back off. So far John and Ana have had no complaints about the whole wheat pasta. I'm not sure they knew they were eating it until I happened to mention it the other night. In fact, Ana had three helpings of the pasta salad. So I'm thinking, core or not, I'm sticking to the whole wheat pasta. So, would that personal chef be Mike, by any chance? How lucky you don't have any gray hairs yet. I always swore I would never color my hair. And then my stylist mentioned that she noticed a couple, oh about 10 years ago, and I immediately told her to do what she had to to get rid of them. That was 10 years ago.

Judy - Is tomorrow Yom Kippur? If so, a blessed Yom Kippur to you and your's. Sorry to hear about the cold. I hope it doesn't get any worse on you. Enjoy your dinner tonight. And yay for a new scale!

I'm back on core and so far, so good. I've used a some points, including today for a bacon and tomato sandwich, but I still have plenty left. We're having dinner at my mom's tomorrow and I don't think any of it is going to be core, so I'll be using a bunch more points then. If we go out for breakfast after Mass on Sunday, then I'll be pointless for a few days. That's ok, it will force me to earn some activity points. I can do without the snacks and sweets (thank goodness for sf/ff pudding) but I cannot make it through seven strictly core breakfasts and lunches. I have to have a sandwich now and again. Tonight's dinner is in the crockpot - chicken and salsa. I'll serve it with brown rice, guacamole, onions, and tomatoes. Yum.

Have a great day and, in case I don't get back on, a terrific weekend.

Carla
Closed Thread