Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:12 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 1/13 - 1/19

Starting the topic. Be back in a bit
Old 01-13-2003, 10:30 AM   #2  

Welcome Gummy! This is a great place for support.

Nicole -sorry to hera about your weekend - we've all been in your shoes at one time or another. Today is a new day though - don't let the weekend "continue" - that's one of the most important things you can do - if you slip, forgive yourself and get right back on program.

Mickey (mind if I call you Teresa?) That's great that you have company doing this. I confess that I weigh myself every day too - for a while, I got the encouragement not to do that from one of our "members" who we haven't heard from in a while (Hi Angie is you are still reading threads) but old habits die hard.

I'm 45 (almost 46), married 5 1/2 years (second for mboth of us) to the best guy. We don't have kids of our own but he has a lovely daughter and we adore our 4 1/2 year old grandson. I want to lost 30 more pounds.

I'm reporting a 1.4 pound gain - not as bad as my sneak peek indicated and not bad for over the holidays. Still, it's time to get moving - I want to get to my 10% (about 10 pounds from here) before my birthday at the end of March. I had a so-so weekend - good exercise wise but Tony and I had Chinese food on Saturday night and while I didn't go nuts, it put me in a deficit bank-wise. Between that and the popcorn (I brought my olwn) that I had at the movies on Saturday afternoon, my sneak peek yesterday was laughably atrocious. I did a step and abs workout this morning - that's #10 so far - half of what I need to get done this month so I'm in good shape as far as my exercise challenge.

Have a great one!
Judy
163.6/156/135 and 10/240 workouts
Old 01-13-2003, 11:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello Gummy, I hope you enjoy this thread. Everyone hear is very supportive of your ups and downs.

Judy and Mickey, I too weigh myself every morning. I know the experts say not to, but when I am trying to lose weight or at least not gain, I need to see that daily reminder. But it is scaring to see those ups. Last week I saw the scale hit 194 an all time high for me. But that made me really start using my journal and points and I am happy to report that I am DOWN to 189 today

Judy, I am sure that 1.4 gain is going to come off quickly. I know that when I eat Chinese it is always filled with sodium and I put on a bunch of water weight. Which I know you will sweat away with all of your exercise.

Nicole, Judy is right we all slip at times (me more often than I care to admit ).

Everyone enjoy your week.

194 (new high) /189/140 exercise 4/230
Old 01-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Wow, lot's of activity on Friday and the weekend. Great!

Judy - That's a small gain and you'll get it off in no time. Sounds like you had yourself a sodium fest this weekend. :-) Keep guzzling that water!

Tahoemom - Bummer about the kettlecorn. What brand was it? I bought Orville Redenbacher 94% Fat Free and actually measured the number of cups in the bag. It came out between 2 and 3 points - I count three just to be safe. Congrats on that side salad victory at McD's!

Nicole - Don't be afraid of those measurements. They're just numbers that will serve as a benchmark for measuring your progress. Sorry to hear you had a bad weekend. The unexpected can really trip us up sometimes. But as Judy says, just get back on the wagon.

Karen - Yep, I think the cold snap we're having here is definitely **** freezing over because I'm getting into exercise! Sorry to hear about your lousy day on Friday. That has to be draining. Good for Mike for convincing you to go to the gym. What a sweetie he is for making you that dinner.

Gummy - Welcome!

For our new friends, a bit about me: I'm 43 years old, married for 17 years, with a 4 year-old daughter and a cat. Currently I'm a SAHM as my job was eliminated at the end of June. I'm looking for a new job, but not very enthusiastically. I have 130 pounds to lose.

I had a fairly good weekend. Friday afternoon I lost it with some cookies and then we went out to eat and I had a hamburger and fries. But I was right back on track on Saturday and Sunday. I got a workout on the bike in on Saturday. Sunday was a wash - Ana woke up at 3:00 am and stayed awake. I'm lucky I had enough energy to get dressed. I may put in an exercise tape later today as Ana is home and I didn't get on the bike in the morning. (To answer your question, Judy, there's really not a lot of room for her to play in the area of the basement that the bike is in, but I may be able to figure something out.) I'm retaining water still from TOM, but I'm hoping it will all be gone by Wednesday.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 01-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Hey Everyone!

Nicole - ouch about the day at the legion! You'll be okay - as my good friend Jayne would say: "Suck it Up, Buttercup" Put the day behind you and carry on. Good for you for getting a new scale. My old one was maddening - there was a 5-6 lb difference in weight depending on which foot you stepped on with first. Did you get your exercise in?

Mickey - yup, I'm a daily weigher too - when I'm OP. When I'm not, I avoid the scale like the plague. That's great that your family are losing with you...makes it a lot easier when everyone is on the same page.

Judy - too bad about the holiday gain, but you're totally back on track and will be on the losing end this week. I'm right behind you at workout #9. Mike and I may go out for Chinese tomorrow...on second thought, that'll trash my Wednesday weigh in...we'll go Wednesday evening instead.

Tahoe - you must have been choked with your all time high weigh in last week. Congrats on getting back out of the 190's forever! Your DH must've been happy to see the Sharks do in the Canucks the other night .

Carla - good for you for stringing together a good Saturday and Sunday! Is there any way you could haul your bike out of the basement and have it front and centre somewhere so you could use it and still keep an eye on Ana?

I've had a good day for the most part...resisted the vending machine at work although it was calling my name loudly all afternoon. My New Year's Resolution was to never again feed it another coin...so far so good! I got in a session at the gym, and I want to try out my new Yoga dvd...never done yoga in my life, so I'm sure it's going to be pretty comical! Yes Judy, I've started my exercise "library", only I'm holding out for dvd's, no videos.

Have a good one, everybody...

Karen
Old 01-14-2003, 07:52 AM   #6  

Hi Everyone

I am glad to hear I am not the only person who weighs everyday. My DH yells at me for it. My DD weighs her self 3 times a day. I told her to stop that once a day can be depressing enough.

Nicole have you mesured? I haven't got up the nerve to yet.

Tahoe say good by to those pounds forever.

Judy - The weight you gained will be gone forever soon.

Ok ladies I have a problem here help me solve it. I have never been much on eating. I drank my pepsi and that filled the void of wanting food. I would usually eat 1 meal a day. Now I can't even on most days get the minimum of my points. The problem is that I read somewhere that if you don't make the min. you will send your body back into starvation mode and it will hang on to the fat again. I have been drinking a gallon to 1.5 gallon of water a day eating fruits & vegetables a small amount of meat, ff everything.
a potatoe here & there. What else can I do? I want to keep off what I have lost and want to lose more.

I have a lose of 1.5 lbs with weigh in today for a total of 5.5 and 40 more to go.

Anyone do TaeBo?

Teresa
Old 01-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #7  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Teresa...

If you're having trouble getting in enough points, maybe you could try regular instead of ff products. That would increase your points without increasing the amount you're eating.

It's true that if you don't eat enough, your metabolism slows down on you and hangs on to fat. I think you were probably getting tons of sugar from your pepsi: 10 teaspoons per glass which was keeping your calorie intake way up.

Anyway, congratulations on your loss this week!

Karen
Old 01-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #8  

Hi ladies,

Welcome to all the newbies! Work has been exhaustingly busy, and I almost forgot to report in!

Nothing too exciting, just a "maintain" for the week. Which is really discouraging considering I ate within my limits and went to the gym FIVE TIMES last week. Grrrr ... I keep telling myself to
just stick with it and that soon I will see a nice loss ...

Better get back to work now ...

Sabrina
166/162.5/135
Old 01-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #9  

Tahoemom - For me, the key to making sure that weighing myself everyday doesn't hurt my weight loss efforts is to let those "ups" act as more motivation for me but to be sure that I don't give myself a license to go off program when I see those "good" results.

Carla - sorry about your slip on Friday but good for you for getting right back on track. Geez, I don't know how you kept your eyes open on Sunday! Was Ana feeling OK? I'm sure you are guzzling water and will flush the retained water out of your system.

Karen - Good for you for not feeding the evil vending machine - I know you will keep that resolution. What yoga DVD did you get?? With yoga, one thing to remember is that it is not a competition. You should only go as far in a pose and as you can go and still breathe easily.

Teresa - Congratulations on your loss this week! I totally agree with Karen and was going to suggest the same thing - try a "regular full fat" version of what you are eating (as long as you don't need to watch your cholesterol like me for items like cheese). First off, it will help you add to your points total. Secondly, we all need some fat in our diets - good fats like olive oil especially.

I had a good day yesterday - I ate 1/2 point under my max and got a step tape in - #10 so far. Today is going to be a bit of a challenge emotional eating wise. I found out that over the next week or so I'm going to have to give up (at least) one of my telecommute days. I realize that I'm still lucky to be able to do it at all, but I am upset. I'm going to go in 3 days next week (before I need to) in the hopes that I can keep telecommuting 2 days a week and not have to reduce it any further. I kow it's unlikely that when I get home from the city I'm going to want to do any exercise but if I can make myself do one of my short yoga tapes, it would probably do me a world of good. Of course, being neck deep in PMS isn't helping matters any.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 01-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #10  

Hi all from very cold Chicagoland.

Karen - Good for you for not feeding the vending machine. That's a very good resolution. I wish I had room for my bike upstairs, but I just don't. Enjoy your yoga DVD!

Teresa - Congrats on a great loss. I'll echo the advice you received from the others: eat some of the full fat foods. Some regular salad dressing and cheese should help you up the points. I've always thought it would be fun to do Tae Bo, but alas I'm very uncoordinated and I'm afraid if I tried it I'd do damage to either myself or my surroundings. By the way, I'm a daily weigher too - although I'm trying really hard to make it every other day.

Sabrina - Hang in there and you're body will release that weight. It's just being stubborn right now. Congrats on the maintain, which, although disappointing to you, is far better than a gain.

Judy - Ana is feeling fine, thanks. I guess she was just done sleeping for the night!. I kept dozing off Sunday afternoon and she kept waking me up. At least she went to bed fairly early. I'm sorry to hear that you're losing one of your telecommuting days. I know how disappointed you must feel. But remember, eating over it isn't going to give you the day back and will only make you feel worse. So hang tough baby. You can do it.

I had a good day yesterday - ate at my minimum. Today I met a friend for lunch. We went to Sweet Tomatos, which is a chain restaurant, I believe. It's a soup and salad bar kind of place. Very good and a good selection of no-fat, low-fat stuff. I did really well with the main meal, but indulged in a brownie and some frozen yogurt for dessert. Not a problem, though. I went to Dottie's to figure out the points and I still have a nice chunk left for dinner. I hopped on the bike this morning, so that's taken care of. Now if I can just get the rest of this water out of me before I weigh in tomorrow, and before I go to the doctor. My sneak peek this morning has me at the same weight as last week, but that should go down a bit, I hope!

Have a good evening.

Carla
Old 01-15-2003, 09:39 AM   #11  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning!

Carla - BC is sunny and balmy. Was outside in shirtsleeves yesterday. Hope you're not too cold. Good for you for yesterday! How was lunch? Keeping my fingers crossed for you for a good weigh in this morning. When do you have to go see the Dr.?

Judy - Sorry to hear that you'll be losing a telecommute day. I know how much you've been enjoying not going into the city all the time. Hopefully they'll let you keep the other two. My yoga DVD is called All Day Yoga for Beginners. I didn't do it the other day, although I watched it yesterday and will try it this evening. Thanks for the tips!

Sabrina - A maintain is okay...with all your exercise you'll be starting to drop weight soon. When is your wedding btw?

The scale was friendly this morning - minus 3 lbs.

Yesterday was on track, and I actually managed to jog on the treadmill for 11 minutes - a personal best. I'm aiming for 30 minutes by the end of February. I'll be taking the dogs out early today as I have to chauffeur FIL to a Dr's appointment at 10 am. Going to the gym this afternoon.

Have a great day!

Karen
Old 01-15-2003, 10:38 AM   #12  

Hi all.

Karen - Congrats on another great loss! Sunny and balmy, huh? It's in the single digits here today. But at least it's sunny. Lunch yesterday was good. Good for you for running 11 minutes - great progress!

Well, I'm logging a whopping .2 loss. Woo freakin hoo. I know, I know, it's better than a gain. Next week this body better release some more weight. I'm heading downstairs in a bit to hop on the bike. My Dr.'s appt is at 7:00 tonight. Actually I'm less concerned about my weigh in there than I am finding out what my blood pressure is. I'm ready for him to put me on meds if it's still high. I took it at one of those machines in the drugstore a couple of weeks ago and it was 160/90. I don't want to mess around with it anymore - too much risk. I'll still work on lowering it through exercise and weight loss, but if I need some meds in the meantime, so be it.

Have a great day.

Carla
271/265.8/244 - 1st 10%/140 7/220 workouts
Old 01-15-2003, 02:26 PM   #13  

This will have to be really quick since I'm swamped at work and the rest of the afternoon is meetings. I hope to catch up on your posts - I just scanned them for weigh in news.

Karen and Carla - Contratulations on your losses. Carla - I know it doesn't seem like much but it is progress and better than a gain.

I didn't do so well last night - I didn't do the yoga (didn't think I would) and was good until that little voice at 10:30 said, "I wan't something..." I told it go get it from my belly but then the stress of the day got me and I gave in - I'm 1.5 points in the hole but will make it up today - my lunch out was cancelled and dinner isn't bad point-wise *plus* I have tomorrow (my last Thursday telecommuting) to look forward to so I will NOT give in to the voice tonight and will stay within points and cut off my eating at least 2 hours before bedtime.

Judy
Old 01-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #14  
Canadian, eh?

Carla - woo hoo without the freakin! A loss is a loss is a loss. Progress, as Judy said. Not quite what you were hoping for, but I know you're due for a nice loss next week with all the exercising and staying within points. Good luck at your appointment, if you have to go on BP meds, you'll most likely to be able to come back off them once you've lost a bit of weight. You're right...too risky to ignore.

Judy - hope your day settled down a little. I'm sure you'll have yourself dug out of your point deficit tonight. Be strong when the evening munchies strike.

K
Old 01-16-2003, 12:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone, I should have been checking in regularly these past 2 days and maybe they would have been better. I have been eatting horribly the last 2 days. I am dealling with problems at my son's nursery school (I'm in charge of all carpools, we've had a few families move and 1 join). There are a few people who seem to just want to make my life miserable and are not happy with any changes I make. Because of this I have spent the last few days studying the map and making a ton of phone calls. While doing this I went back to my old habits and ate chocolate to comfort myself. I even avoided the scale this morning because I know how ugly it will be. Good thing is most of the junk is now gone from the house.

It sounds like all of you are taking everything in stride which is what I need to do. Unfortunately it now time for me to go drive carpool. I will check in with you later.
Closed Thread