WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 07:06 PM   #1  

Unhappy

I will be the happiest weight watcher in the world but I just don't get it? How can terriaki sauce be zero points? There is no calorie count on the bottle so I couldn't figure it out and the books all say zero points. I hope it is true but??????
Old 05-03-2001, 08:13 AM   #2  

Most teriyaki sauces are just a variation on soy sauce, which has negligible calories. If I'm eating something like this (where there's no nutrition info) that seems thick and tastes like it has a fair amount of sweetness then I'll add a point just for good measure. Use your own judgement and watch your portion size. Teriyaki's loaded with salt, so you might want to avoid it right before weigh-in.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:39 AM   #3  
Stressed but Sane

According to The Most Complete Food Counter by Annette Natow, PhD, RD and Jo-Ann Heslin, MA, RD (my bible) 1 oz. of bottled teriyaki sauce (no brand specified) has 30 calories, 0 fat, 2 grams of protein, and 6 grams of carb (no fiber). And (eek!) 1380 mg of sodium. A tablespoon has 15 calories, 0 fat, 1 gram protein, and 3 grams of carb (no fiber), and 690 mg of sodium. Lawry's teriyaki marinade has 72 calories, trace fat, 6 grams of protein, 11 grams of carb (trace fiber), and 7100 mg of sodium per 2 Tbs. Some brands are better--Ka-me has 10 calories, 0 fat, 2 grams carb (no fiber), and 480 mg sodium. If you're using just a little, it's easily zero-point---but can add up in recipes.
Old 05-03-2001, 01:06 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Even if it seems like a lot in recipes, the per serving amount is usually pretty low, which is why it's considered a condiment and is 0 points.

Lin
Closed Thread