WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 01-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 2"

Default Bad carbs ???

Once again I feel like I am eating too many "bad" carbs like 1 pt Eng muffins, WW bagels, sandwiches and potatoes. I'm within my pts for the day but I feel like I eat too many bad carbs in a day. What do you eat in place of that stuff??
Today I had an omelet with lots of veggies and coffee for breakfast - yogurt - lunch was homemade potato soup (yummy from this site - 6 pts) and for dinner I'm having shrimp cocktail/sauce and bean salad but I can't keep thinking of things. If anyone has ideas please help me!
Thanks!
JustJan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Mashed Cauliflower (instead of mashed potatoes) is quite delicious.

I try to use whole wheat versions of breads. Such as Ezekiel 4:9 bread, or 100% Wheat Durum Pasta. I find that while it's still carbs they tend to be more filling so I don't need as much and with all the fiber they aren't too many points!

I also use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes.

And don't forget your proteins. I use grilled chicken slices to top a lot of things like salads or low calorie wraps for lunch.

Chilis are a good source of fiber & protein from beans and lean ground beef or turkey. And! They keep if you make a large pot of them.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Your options really are unlimited. It does take a little "thinking outside the box," which can take some practice.

There are thousands of books on low and lower carb eating and on whole grain eating. Amazon.com is a great place to start, and many books have sample pages you can read - also the reviews can help you decide if the book is for you. You can see if you can get these books from your local library or order through interlibrary loan. There are thousands of websites dedicated to the same thing, and only a google away.

I recently made "french fries" out of sliced turnip. I didn't expect them to be potato-like, but they were really good, and more like potato than I expected. The calorie savings over potato is about 40%. I've made fries out of sweet potato and squash too, and they're very good. You just slice the veggie into fry shape, toss in a ziploc with a tsp or two of oil (or spray with cooking spray) and then toss in your favorite seasoning or just salt and pepper (I use ranch dressing mix powder), and then bake at 400 to 425 until tender inside and crispy on the edges (I always start checking at about 20 minutes - turnips take about 20 minutes, sweet potato almost 40).

I make green beans and all sorts of veggies this way too.

For sandwhiches, I often use low carb tortillas, or I buy the bread that is sliced super thin, or will make them open-faced
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJan52 View Post
1 pt Eng muffins, WW bagels,
Go for the whole grain muffins. I think they are 2 points instead of 1 but they are a healthy carb.

Quote:
sandwiches
Look for whole grain (even the light breads have whole grain versions) instead of white or processed wheat

Quote:
and potatoes.
Even white potatoes are considered a good healthy carb
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #5  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

Whole grain and wheat instead of white. This applies to bread, rice, and pasta.
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote