Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #1  

Default Week of June 18

Hi Sistas--

I haven't posted in a while, been very busy with job interviews for teaching positions (Middle School English/Language Arts). And, of course, getting ready for the transition of my own 2 children finishing up the school year. They have some activities going on over the summer, but nothing starts until early July. That certainly leaves plenty of time for squabbling at home. Truthfully, they have been getting along amazingly well lately. My son is teaching my daughter (5 years younger than him) to play baseball and they spend evenings in the backyard practicing. He is a very patient coach!

My food has been a mixed bag. Generally on track, and I'm within my goal range but I feel a little flabby. I've been consistent with my strength workouts, not as much with the cardio. I push myself when I go to a class (like kickboxing or karate) but if I'm on the treadmill or elliptical, it's a pretty slow pace. This morning I'm going to a boot camp class (cardio intervals combined with weights) so that should certainly make me sweat.

Happy Father's Day to the dads in our lives!

Take care.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #2  

Elana-Have fun with your workout! Best of luck in your interviews!

I'm off to church then across teh road for the whole father's day thing over there. I don't expect great eating LOL. Have a great day!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #3  

Hi, Elana! Good luck with the job search! It's great that your kids are playing so well together. I have two older brothers (there are 5 years apart from all of us--I'm 28, one bro is 33, and the other is 38). Some people think 5 years is such a huge split, but I really liked it growing up.

I did a lot of gardening today (flowers not veggies), and then I took the dog that I'm dogsitting for a long walk. We had a great time together!!

Have a good week!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #4  

HI all!

I had a great weekend. DH's brother brought home his girlfriend. She's super nice. His mom is concerned b/c she has three kids already (she's only 28) and never been married. After meeting her I just think she comes from an unstable family and had to grow up on her own alot. She seems to be a really great mom and that's what counts right? They are living together and are engaged to be married in October, they have all the plans made...but he's afraid to tell his mom. I know she's gonna ask me b/c I spent a great deal of time talking with the girlfriend. I can't lie to my MIL, but it's not my place to share this kind of news. We'll see!

Anyway. I am planning an on points day. I have my water already out. And I will try to exercise tonight, once I find my treadmill. I have a ton to do before 7:30, so I better run. Have a great day!!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Morning all. Bad, bad weekend eatingwise. I could just not seem to stop grazing in the evening. Oh well, weekends are my downfall, I do so much better on the weekdays when things seem to be more structured. Ds is pretty much over his chickenpox, just has a few scabbed over spots left. Thank goodness he had a pretty mild case. So he can go back to school today and I hope he doesn't flip out when we get there. Week before last he was misbehaving when I was dropping him off and it was getting very frustrating. I'm hoping that it was just because he was starting to feel crummy from the chickenpox starting and he will be better today.

Anyway take care all and have a great day!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #6  

Misty, that puts you in a very sucky position. Hopefully your BIL will talk to MIL before she gets to you.

Jen, just get back on track today. Misty and Maggie taught me to only worry about today, not yesterday or tomorrow. It has helped me quite a bit.

I better get back to work. Have a good day!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #7  

hey everybody, my sister in law had her baby!! 6 lbs, 6 oz little boy, 19 inches long. Jesse Rhoades, he is a beautiful baby. She had an emergency c-section because he was frank breech, and couldn't move. They are both great!! My eating wasn't the best, when she was in recovery we ran to McD's, but since that's all I ate today, maybe it won't hurt too bad. I can't wait to go tomorrow and hold him some more!!
Hugs,
Donna
Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #8  

Hi Misty, Steph & Maggie!!!! I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I didn't forget about you! I think of you all often!

I just popped in for a second...........I will read and post more when I get home! I'm starting AGAIN!

HI to all the new (to me) faces!

PS - Look at my signature .............I'm back up to 231+ lbs!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #9  

Good Morning!

JEANNE!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to see you back!!!!!! You better be here for good LOL

Donna-Congrats on your nephew!!!! I am glad all went well even with the emergency c-section.

Jen-I suck at weekends too. Steph is right just focus on today!!!!

My MIL did get to me! I told her DH said I shouldn't say anything LOL..he thanked me for throwing him under the bus! I said I think that the girl is very nice and it may be more serious than my BIL lets on. I told her I think if he wants to commit to the relationship than as an adult (which he is at 26) he needs to stand up and own his life. I told her the GF thinks he feels he'll disappoint everyone and feels like he has to please everyone. It is a shock. While blended families are the norm these days, it's not something this family has had experience with. My dad's been married three times, to me it's not a big deal. But on my MIL's side I can't think of a single divorce even if I look through all the extended second and third cousins. Any step children came through the death of a spouse. I think it's really crappy of my BIL not to admit that he is engaged. What kind of message does that send to his finace and her kids...that they aren't good enough?...that he is ashamed of them? They are nice people, great kids and if my BIL can give them the kind of home they have lacked then that is great and we will all love and embrace them; it's not like his mom (a third grade teacher) is going to be mean to little kids you know?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #10  

Jeanne--it's about time you got your booty back here!!! Yeah!!

Misty, I agree wholeheartedly with you. BIL needs to own up to this one soon!!

Congrats on the new nephew, Donna. Nieces and nephews are so much fun!

Jen, I read your post about your sick leave, and I think that's horse ****!! I can't believe that a hospital OF ALL PLACES would be so shitty. Coming from someone who experiences dibiliatating migraines as well, I'm astounded. You know what though--my husband use to get bad migraines (I think he grew out of them, for the most part), and he had some sort of permission from his company because migraines are considered a chronic condition. I missed a lot of work my first year at my current job, and I'm so fortunate that they were understanding. You need to check into this, because it makes me sooooo mad!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #11  
Jen

Hey everyone. I had a pretty good night at work last night. The night before was absolutely nuts. Not much else going on, hope everyone has a great day.

Steph - thanks so much for your comments. Yes you would think that a hospital would be more sympathetic but the problem is that they have paid out millions of $$ in sick benefits and they are only looking at the bottom line. I'm not one of those people that take 'mental health days' though I know plenty of nurses who do and they are the ones who make it rough for others who have legitimate health problems.

donna - congrats on becoming an aunt! I love that name.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #12  

anyone? I just got back from the grocery store and really had to pee. So I dropped the groceries by the door and went into the bathroom. I came out and DS had peeled and entire bunch of bananas! So now we're all having a banana snack b/c I have no idea what to do with all of these. At the current prices I hate to waste them, but I am not a big banana fan, so one is my limit. I guess I'll have to make bread with teh last couple or in this heat they'll be really nasty in a few hours.

Well, he's not into my granola bars so I need to get groceries put away!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #13  

A banana suggestion:
This works better if they are pretty ripe--
peel and freeze in plastic bags.
Eat them as a sweet and very healthy substitute for a popsicle.

I love them!
Frozen grapes are also good.

I completely agree about weekend eating. The lack of structure really makes it hard for me. I may start planning my food and writing out the point values the night before. At least it would be a new technique to try.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #14  

Elana-That is a great idea!!! DS is such a monkey LOL He's almost two what can I say? I think I iwll freeze the ones that are still mostly in the peel. We ate the ones that could be salvaged (ie not smushed in the carpet) so I have a few now that are mostly in the peels, I can peel and freeze them.

I usually take him with me when there is something fo rhim to get into...what was I thinking trying actually pee alone?! LOL
Old 06-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #15  
Jen

That's funny Misty!

Not much new going on, same old, same old. Going to try and get some exercise in today when ds is at school. Have a great day everyone.
Closed Thread