Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #69

G'day everyone,

Trudy I had not ever heard of those tights and had a look at the link you posted. I cannot remember the last time I wore panty hose
As far as the friend from Australia not liking christmas in the heat, that does not surprise me. Even after all this time in Australia, I still have the fondest memories of Christmas in the winter as a child in Holland. I don't think Christmas will ever feel like 'real' christmas in the heat. The same goes for New Year's Eve when all the streets used to smell of a type of donut everyone had on New Year's Eve My mother cooked them a couple of times in Australia but it was never the same
Enough of the nostalgia.....today is the first day of SUMMER

Ann your poor dh, that must be so painful to have all those teeth out He should be fairly well healed by Christmas. Dentists are not cheap anywhere in the world

I cannot remember anymore what was said on previous posts

Hope everyone is well and happy.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-30-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Smile

It does seem like a lot of teeth to have done at once, but it was done by an oral surgeon. He has stitches, and right now he is still very swollen, and bruised. But it will all be gone, and then he will have some new dentures and hopefully he will be happy with the results.

I am learning how to do all sorts of soft or liquid types of food that will go down easy without any chewing. It is quite tasty to drink a can of peaches. : But seriously, it is quite good.

thinking of cold winter Christmases - I remember plenty of them, but now I just enjoy the memories. I'm glad to be here without snow and ice. I spent too many scary drives to ever want to do that again. Commuting back and forth to work in blizzards and whiteouts during the winters finished me.

I like cooler weather now and again, just as long as there is no snow and ice. I think that we will probably have temperatures in the 40's this week. It is nice to walk when it is cooler.

Hopefully we will get our decorations up this weekend. Depends on how DH is feeling. At least I can do the inside stuff.

See you all later. Ann
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #3  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Well after my long long story about buying a new swimsuit......... today I am here to tell you I returned it to the store.....the swimsuit, the sarong, and the cover up shorts....and got a credit on my Mastercard for $237.12.
I tried the swimsuit on again and I just didn't think I looked like "$237.12" in it. hee hee
Last night I was thinking about it and decided that really I liked the one from my sil better and it is in brand new condition and I thought if I bought a pretty sarong to go over it then it would do just fine. I also tried on the sporty tankini top and bottoms that I bought in the size 12 last year and realized that although the bottoms are snug the top was not too bad. I knew they had these boxer/shorts separates that you could buy and decided I would get the bottoms in a bigger size and that way I would be able to wear that swim suit also this year. The tankini top is in navy and red stripes and I knew I could get new navy bottoms at the swimsuit place. I thought would be great for when my grandkids come to Maui. I could sit in the sand with them etc and not worry about body parts hanging out, or showing things that are best left to the imagination.
When my friend got here I showed her the swimsuit I bought and the ones I already had and she thought it was a great idea to return the new one. She felt that with the higher cut leg on the new one I would constantly be tugging at it. That gal knows me very well.
We went to the mall and the young girl that had originally waited on me wasn't working today, so another gal helped me out and she was also very sweet and helpful and I brought my other swimsuits with me and got a new sarong to match the suit I had and I also got the boxer/shorts for the other swimsuit. With all this MONEY I saved, I bought a little cotton knit "Fresh Produce" dress and some lovely smelling after sun lotion. I'm pleased .
Sometimes, I just can't let go of something (or a situation) until I am really really satisfied (I think Trudy can vouch for that part of my character.....hee hee it may be a slight flaw). Fortunately the friend I go out with on Wednesday's is much like that too, so she understands. She usually buys something on one Wednesday when we are out and then returns all or part of it the following Wednesday. Ahh, but we have a good time.
Ann....I hope that DH mouth is not too bad. It will heal quickly and soon he will be eating steak.
Somebody asked about DH 100th day. It was on Nov. 26th. He has one more test tomorrow, a bone density test and then we will see his oncologist on December 7th and he will go over all the test results with us at that time.
Night all.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, the way you shop, you only spend 1/2 the money you would if you spent money every week. You are some smart girls. And the way you explained your choices I think you made some good deals. But, what is a Fresh Produce dress? We are all so happy that this year you have such better news than last year. Your hubby is doing so well, but it is not a suprise when we realize who he had in his corner. Maui, here you come!

Ann, we have the weather sometimes you described for the north, but mostly we are not cold with moisture here. Just enough to get into the Christmas mood. But when we have cold, it can be tremendous, but just lasts at the most 4-5 days. You know, we are not retired here, but your description of your dental expenses is so scarey. Do you have any kind of dental plan now? We right now have great dental insurance and I think we might have to keep it when we do retire. With the descriptions we are getting of GM and others downsizing insurance for retirees, it is such a scarey prospect.

Maria, I can remember when people around me didn't decorate like they do now. In fact, when we had kids and other things on our mind (like surviving) lights in the yard were a fantasy. Now, we like them so much. Another thing we have gotten used to. Gloomy dark evenings are just so much sweeter with lights all around the house and Mr. and Mrs. Santa in the yard with a spotlight on them.

Trudy, cannot believe your daughter has held fast on not knowing the sex of your grandchild. My DIL, the mother of our angel, has a 20-year-old daughter who had her wisdom teeth cut out and my son will have a deviated septum corrected next week. She is in the midst of some grown-up babies anyway, so she will have her hands full. When our son was married previously, he had testicular cancer and an exploratory surgery on his abdomen. His wife got her masters that weekend so she would not spend the time with him in the hospital so I did. My sweet DIL now said wild horses could not keep her from being with her "sweet hubby" on his deviated septum surgery. When I told her I spent the nights in the hospital with his cancer surgery, she was so appalled. I am so glad he has her now. He is the most important person in her life, the way it should be. We are all blessed with her.

Peggy, enjoy your Wild Women get-together. Funny how we have these groups. I have one too, but we haven't come up with a cute name for us.
Glenda
Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 AM   #5  

Hi all
We are very glad to be home. And so is Sprout.Althought my G.chrilden thought I should leave him there. Not gonna happen!

My Mother said Dad is still doing well. I do dread the day she tells me otherwise. But I made sure he knows how much I live him so I am at peace with being here when the enviable happens. Then we will be driving to Minnesota .

I have a rotten cold so am not in the mood to do much of anything. I have been taking ZICON every three hours, it does relieve some of the symptoms.

Have to make a trip to Walmart for food. but that is the only reason I am going. Would rather stay in my jammies. Can you tell I'm having a pity party for myself .

Gotta go.

Karen
Old 12-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #6  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Boy gals I think I am really losing it....and pretty soon people are going to start talking about me.
I write long posts to you about something that really isn't all that important to anybody except to me (about buying a swim suit). Let's face it gals, this is not the most major decision I have had to make in my life but for whatever reason I am EXTREMELY focused on it. If you want to stop reading now and go on to something more exciting, like watching the grass grow in the cracks of your front walk I will truly understand.
I tried on the "Fresh Produce" (Glenda, that is the company that makes the dresses and other summer type stuff, shorts, T shirts etc) lime green dress and I looked like a a BIG FAT celery...with BIG arm holes that looked like flaps. The dress was not short enough and not long enough.....it was basically just plain stupid enough, and I should have tried it on at the swimsuit store but of course I didn't. The navy shorts that I also bought yesterday, well the gal forgot to take that BIG HORKIN plastic thingee off so I knew I had to go back to the Mall anyway and decided I would return the "plain stupid enough" dress at the same time.......see Glenda, saving money again. So....DH needs an outing and comes with me. On the way to the Mall DH phones my brother and asks him if he would like to meet him at the "Plastic Palace" (the eating place that all malls have) because he says I needed to do a few things. Brother said yes he would meet us and so would sil as she gets lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. Quickly I go to the swimsuit shop and the gal laughs and says are you back again????? How do you answer a question like that??? NO! hee hee....I told her this time it was her fault because she didn't take the plastic thingee off the navy shorts, then I told her I decided I would also return the dress, you know the plain stupid one.
So I got that done and went and met my brother, DH and sil. I explained to sil that I had bought a sarong for the blue one piece swimsuit, size 12, she had given me and that this morning I looked at it carefully and realized it had never EVER been worn or put in water of any kind because the label inside the suit was in brand new mint condition. She said, "what size 12 swimsuit are you talking about?" She went on to say she can't remember when she was a size 12...maybe 20 years ago and is certain she did not give me THAT swimsuit. So, now I have no idea where the suit came from. I guess I must of bought it and put it away "somewhere" and then "found" it this year. Told you gals, I'm losing it. My DH said he would refrain from saying anything but my BROTHER, big mouth, big mouth, he had a couple of little digs, like that I am older then him, and it is certainly starting to show. Oh well, we still had a nice lunch with them and I guess the swimsuit will just have to remain a mystery. SIL went back to work and I left DH and brother to talk and went in search of a perfect birthday gift for Trudy who is having a birthday at the beginning of January. I did buy her a present in Fargo but wanted to make sure that there was nothing I liked better...........I couldn't find anything better for her, however I did buy myself a couple of things.....like new cords, a faux suede jacket, blouse and festive looking T-Shirt. I will wear it to every Christmas function I am invited to this year and if I see the same people twice while wearing "that" outfit they have to pretend they never saw it before. All in all it was a fun day. I see the dentist tomorrow and will find out what he has to say to me. Nothing else is new but I give you my word, no more posts about swimsuits..................well unless something comes up.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #7  
Super Surfer

Cool I can solve that mystery for you.

Slavika You bought that swim suit 2004, the year we all were in Maui... Don't you remember the day I came over with my tankini suit and tried it on and you tried on your new blue suit? We decided that yours was nicer, but I had never worn mine and was just going to live with it..flaws and all. When you told me that your SIL gave you a suit I thought it was that black one. You bought the blue one. When we were in Maui, you wore the black one and never put the new blue one on. In fact, you and DH went to the Mall on Sunday, and on your way home you dropped over to my house and showed it to me. We had our basement all torn up and you went downstairs to look at it.
As for the "celery" dress, I think it's best you took it back. .. you are so funny. I am sure the other things you bought are really nice.
Did you say BIRTHDAY GIFT???...

I am driving myself nuts tonight. I bought Arctic Fleece to make baby blankets. I decided to Blanket Stitch them. Unfortunately I forgot how to do that stitch. I had to hunt through all my stuff looking for some kind of instruction. I finally got started and ran out of embroidery floss. I will have to try and match up the color, as the floss I had is quite old.

Back to work...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #8  
Net browser

Trudy I don't believe it but you are right!!! I remember now. LOL LOL....all this time I am talking about the swimsuit that sil gave me.
Hmmm, maybe I am getting a little weird in my old age. My DH would say, "getting there???"
Well at least I now know why the bathing suit is in brand new condition......it's never been worn.
Thank you my friend for solving that mystery for me. I did happen to notice though that with all that stuff I typed about swimsuits, new clothes etc, you did pick up on the fact that I was searching for the perfect birthday present for you.
Night all.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #9  
Life Time 2001

To funny Slavika! So glad Trudy knew. Was laughing so hard at both of you.
Was great!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #10  

It's a good thing Trudy spoke up because I was going to tell Slavika it was me who gave her the suit!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Gloria: I was just thinking about you and I see from my little note that you should be home now. Did you have a nice holiday. I hope everything went well for you guys. I missed your posts. Looking forward to hearing about your holiday. "See you on the board". Slavika
Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Slavika: Love the swimsuit story. And celery doesn't sound like an intrigueing dress color for me. I would look ill in any color like that, or yellow. My closet is filled with blues, and lavenders and pinks.
glad the mystery of the unworn suit is solved, thanks to Trudy. Too bad you couldn't say it was a gift from above.

Today was weigh-in and I am down 1.4, and that is .2 less that I had gained last week. Talk about slow progress. I must say that DH soft diet is working for me too. Since I have to fix him all this soft stuff, I just eat a WW Smart Ones dinner, a salad and veggie and some 1 or no point dessert. If I keep this up I just might lose some more. I could handle that. :

Karen: Sorry you are feeling punk, with a cold. Have you ever tried Air Borne to stop a cold in it's tracks? Last year when DH was sick with a cold, and I didn't want it, I asked the pharmacist what he recommended and it was AirBorne. At the first sign of a cold, scratchy throat, runny nose, etc. start drinking it every 3 hours. It sure works for me. It was invented/developed by a school teacher, who was tired of always getting sick from her constant exposure to the cold bug.

Glenda: I could handle weather like yours. It is the constant snow and cold and ice I don't want to take any more. Sounds like your family is (as DH would say) helping the Drs get a new Mercedes. Hope all goes well. And no we don't have dental insurance of any kind. We did look into some, but you have to go to their choice of dentist and we didn't want to make that change. We are satisfied with the care we are getting. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Trudy: A January birthday, eh? Hope I can remember to wish you well as it rolls around. How is the ankle coming? Hope it is healing nicely.

Welcome home, Gloria. Hope you had a lovely time, and that you will fill us all in on your adventures.

Maria: Are you now experiencing really nice summer weather? We are cooling down a bit. Actually put an extra blanket on the bed last night. Today we got up some of our Christmas lights. Hope to get finished tomorrow or Monday. Then I have to get at the cards. I don't wan't to send too many. It is getting too expensive. I may send Ecards to folks that get email. Nothing cheap about me. :

Peggy: Are you getting snow. It seems the weather channel is talking about snow across the central area and over into the east coast states. Glad I don't have to worry about it any more.

Lily: What are you up to?

DH is making progress. The swelling is going down and now he is lovely shades of purple, yellow and of course it will be sort of green before it gets back to natural. He goes to the dentist Mon. a.m. and then to the surgeon on Turesday p.m. to get checked.

Monday night our Village Players are doing a Christmas program. I have a bit part in the skit, and our line dancers are performing also. So I have to be a quick change artist. Hope it all works out okay. Dress rehearsal tomorrow afternoon. Then the following Monday evening my chorus performs. I will be glad when it is all over. I think next Christmas Season our two groups are going to work out a combined show, and forget this two program deal.

Last night we went to a friends church to see a Christmas Play one of their members wrote. It was a re-designing of the Christmas Carol. I could appreciate all the work that went into it, and they did their best, but it is hard for me to listen to out of tune singers. I just have to keep telling myself that their hearts are in the right place, and they did get their message across. Sometimes I think I just shouldn't go to stuff like that, because of my training, I get too critical. I don't seem to be able to just go with 'people' ears.

Have a great rest of the weekend. Time to go and get DH some icecream. Ann
Old 12-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #13  

G'day everyone,

Slavika, the saga with your swimsuit(s) certainly has kept you busy and us all entertained
I used to have a lovely 'celery' dress....perhaps it was more like an apple green. I remember it well, it was the first time I used a Vogue pattern and I thought I looked just so smart. I still like green but I am also predominantly a blue person, I just like bright colours
When are you actually leaving for Maui???

Ann good for you loosing a bit more again. I really hope that I can do something a bit more positive when Xmas etc. is finished.
We do have dental insurance but can go to the dentist of our choice, it still is very expensive, we are covered for the 'common fee' but NO dentist charges that so there is always a gap to make up.
You are lucky you are not married to my dh, he loves to sing but cannot hold a tune to safe himself
I used to be a reasonable singer and belonged to a number of choirs however since I had a thyroid operation (many years ago) I cannot keep tune and I can hear that myself, I find it amazing that dh cannot hear it himself.

Hope you are feeling a bit Karen, not a good time of the year to be sick.

Glenda
it is strange about the decorating, more Australians are starting to do this. I personally think it is all a bit over the top.
We also have a real drive on the conserving of energy. On really hot days last year we were asked not to use our airconditioners during the day, our electricity bills are also VERY expensive.
I did buy a Christmas tree yesterday, one of the potted variety that I can put out in the garden during the year. We have 'mislaid' all our baubles so I will have to buy some new ones next week.

Trudy
lucky Slavika has you as a friend so you can jolt her memory It cannot be much longer before your next grand child is ready to come into this world

Peggy you must be very busy with your crafts, let us know what you are 'crafting'

Gloria nodoubt we will soon hear how your holiday was.

DS, d-i-l and Matilda are coming for dinner later this afternoon. Matilda will stay the night, her Mum has training for the Commonwealth Games tomorrow morning at 6 am
She then has a huge session with the physiotherapist before picking up Matilda in the afternoon.
Lots happening here, they have sold their house and we now will be helping with their move. Two days after they move house d-i-l has to go to Canberra for 5 days for yet another training camp
We will do some of the baby sitting as well as the other grandparents.

Must be off and get organised.....

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #14  
Web Nana

Yes! We are back! I just read all posts and can't remember a thing! I am glad that Slavika and her DH are so close to going to Maui and that all is well with him. Hooray! Your story's about the bathing suit is classic Slavika. Thank you for the welcome back

Maria What's this about a new web site....I missed something.

Trudy I know the birthday isn't till January but Happy Birthday! That's because I know I will forget later.

Glenda I haven't even thought about decorating yet. But I don't think I will put up the outside lights this year. We will have to take down the decorations by New Years as DH has his knee surgery on Jan. 6 and I would not like to be doing it and taking care of him at the same time.

Lily Welcome back! Can't remember where you went but glad you had a good time.

Karen, Peggy, Ann nice to 'see' you all.

We had a wonderful time and it is hard to believe that 3 weeks ago today we started out. The weather held beautifully for driving and DH did it all....I offered to spell him but he didn't think I was up to the speed and traffic. We had no problems with finding we were supposed to be because, of course, the navigator was exceptional.....ME.

Enjoyed Disney....Epcot, MGM, Magic Kingdom were where we concentrated our time.

Savannah was also nice....got to Paula Dean's restaurant...The Lady & Son's. She is a cook from the Food Channel. Go to meet and talk to her son, Bobby on our second trip to the restaurant. We also found her brother Bubba's restaurant on Tybee Island....it is a seafood place and we had the most mouthwatering grilled Oysters with Parmesan Cheese....right off the dining room grill.

Thanksgiving was fun in Raleigh and we really enjoyed having so much time to play with Nick, 9 and Cataline, 4. Since we don't see them often it was special.

Now we are home and it is SNOWING. Today DH#1 who is in the local Gardiner's Guild is running the Open House. They select a house each year and decorate it for Christmas and this year she is in charge and the house selected is very new and in a million dollar development. We will be stopping by later. Then going to the Boutique that they run at a near by school.

Well, I guess I have run on long enough. See you later.

Gloria
Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #15  

G'day all,

Nice to see you 'home' Gloria and good to hear you had such a good time.

I am really now looking forward to our retirement as of December 31 and go on some extended trips and not having to worry about getting back in time for work!! The idea is starting to appeal more and more........

I have revamped my business website www.mesdesigns.com.au

Glorious here today, 32 degrees. Little Matilda is here for the rest of the day, she slept well and is getting cuter everytime we see her
We might walk down the beach with her before it gets too hot.

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread