View Poll Results: Are you happy in your current job (or course if at college)?
Yes 3 18.75%
Yes, but I'm looking to do something else 4 25.00%
Yes, but I'm thinking of going back to school/college 2 12.50%
No, so I'm definitely changing jobs/going back to school 1 6.25%
No, but I won't do anything about it 0 0%
No, but I can't change jobs 3 18.75%
Other - details please 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 05:43 AM   #1  
Scotland's finest export

Default Is it really Thursday?

Hi girls,
Sorry for lack of posts yesterday. Rather busy, but I did lurk a little.
Anyhow. I finally heard from the Met office today about the weather girl job. (I accosted the postman on my way to work and asked if he had anything for me!). Unfortunately it's a no. however, they do say on the letter that i am "the reserve candidate" so basically if anyone refuses the job, i'm in. i'm guessing they had so many places to offer on their training course and if anyone decides against it then i get offered their place. so, i'm obviously a bit disappointed but i'm trying to be philosophical about it. i mean, i may have hated it! the weird thing is, it's almost like being dumped by someone who is going to keep sleeping with you (if that makes any sense)! they say no, but then they say they might say yes later on!! i'm going to take it as a definite no and not build up my hopes. i may also write them a letter asking for feedback and constructive criticism. what do you think?
but all in all it means i can take that expensive jacket back to the shop now...
suppose i should do some work. HELLO to everyone and hope you're all doing ok. get counting those points, drinking that water and exercise your butts off....

kirsty
Old 06-14-2001, 08:47 AM   #2  

Well, I voted that I love my job, and I do. This is my third job since graduating college 9 years ago, and I know I will retire here. I love working at a university, better than the corporate world!!

Kirsty ~ Sorry to hear about the job, but just remember, to be selected as a "reserve" is awesome, just remember back to when you first interviewed, and all those women that were trying for the position, you beat them all out!!

I just returned to work. I have been on vacation since last Thursday, didn't go anywhere, but got lots of housecleaning and playing time in (with my sweet peas!). It was very enjoyable. But, I won't pretend to get a chance to read all of the posts since last week, so I will leave it up to you all to fill me in on anything major I missed!!!!

My journalling and portions are getting much better, and now that we finally have some nice weather, I am getting some exercise. My WI day is Saturday morning, so we will see how the weight loss is coming. The only struggle I am still having is the water, which amazes me, since it was just 6 months ago, that I was drinking 80 oz. a day, now I can't even get down 20 oz.!!! Well, I will work on it!

Work is really busy, trying to catch up on everything, plus I am helping to plan a big retirement party which is Friday. We go all out here, reception at an art gallery in the afternoon, refreshments, and a big dinner, plus, little suprise events that happen. I have been working on this for two months, and I am only one of 5 committee members. I can't wait to retire, it will be an awesome party!!

I have rambled long enough! I big "Hello" to everyone, and I will try to post more later!

Missed you girls!!
Old 06-14-2001, 09:17 AM   #3  
Go Avalanche!!

Default Hi!!!!

I'm back!! I'm printing out threads since Friday the 1st I'll slowly catch up and try to get posted. My vacation was wonderful and between moving our offices and trying to play catch up I just haven't been able to wander on. I have really missed you guys! I'll try to be back soon

"Treat your friends as you do your pictures: place them in their best light." -- Jennie Churchill
Old 06-14-2001, 09:33 AM   #4  
flibbertobbergenie!

Hiya! Kirsty - wow, impressive, well done! I def agree, onwards and upwards, and hearing from them again will just be a bonus. And I would def write a letter (or call?) asking for constructive criticism (telling them how much you enjoyed the experience prob wouldn't hurt either).

Brenda, Tonya - yippee! Welcome back! We've missed you! Don't think anything really major has happened (anyone?), but we have some newbies who are all LOVELY and should all COME OUT AND POST LOTS

I put 'other' on the poll because I'm in a "job" that finishes next year anyway - writing my PhD. Haven't really decided what to do long term yet. Could stay in academia and apply for teaching jobs, could go for research jobs, could try literary translation. I change my mind every day. Basically, I'll take every opportunity that comes along, I like working like that!

Anyway, back to it now ... See y'all later!

Lxxx
Old 06-14-2001, 10:23 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Angry Prepping for rejection

Morning Girls
Im calling MJI today to see about the job EEEEEEEEEEK
I dont think i got it
the one woman loved me and the other was thrown by my scooter ie she was visibly uncomfy so UGH
but better to rip the bandaid off fast
I think i voted yes but i want to change
My boss is great and the hours are flexible but the job itself i could do without

Kirst I agree with Lolly ask for feedback and tell them how much you appreciated the opportunity--- PS the reserve list just means they recognized your potential

Brenda Congrats on the Av Victory Altho i was sad for me I was happy for you and your hubby did you see the parade?

Tonya i have that same problem with water
the most i can muster easily is like 48 oz and thats on a HOT day
Old 06-14-2001, 10:34 AM   #6  
Scotland's finest export

Default angel

i consoled myself by buying the new angel box set.
oh, and rereading my rejection (sniff) letter i think i may actually have come second (out of thousands which ain't bad) because it says "if the successful applicant withdraws". so hooray if i came that close, but equally, i doubt there is much chance of me coming off that reserve place! ah well. who knows what i might apply for next!
cheers for all being so sweet about it. kierie - we're relying on you to bring good news now...
lolly - made any plans for next weekend yet? (night before our big race...)
bren - welcome back!!!
tonya - fingers crossed for WI.

kirsty
Old 06-14-2001, 10:44 AM   #7  
flibbertobbergenie!

Afternoon everyone.

Kirsty - 2nd out of thousands eh ... let's find out who got the job, hunt her down and kill her. I've been watching the Angel box set (YIPPEE!) so have plenty of ideas Have watched about the first 4, and the first 8 (of 11) Buffys. Yup, we're sad and bought both sets. Then it will be withdrawal symptoms until the second sets come out (October?) and I will have to try really, really hard to avoid websites and magazines with spoilers. Even the backs of the box sets give away stuff I'd rather not know - have been trying to avoid them too Love the new Buffys - have you seen them yet?

Ooh, sorry about that everyone, I'm just totally Buffy-and-Angel freaky at the moment, I'll get over it once I finish watching them

So, Kierie, everything crossed for the job. Let us know! Is your scooter motorised, or is it push-bikey? My cousin has cerebral palsy and he wants a motorised one, but he's only 15 so he's not allowed it yet ... I think he sees himself as boy racer ...

Where iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis everyone, whinge moan gripe. Typical, the one day I get to sit at the computer all day and everyone is playing hooky

Oh, Kirsty, I will book somewhere over the weekend for the 23rd. I will def be drinking mineral water. Have about 10 people coming so far and more still to let me know. I love birthdays! I am thinking Lebanese at the mo, but will see ... I fancied a picnic, but too much organisation (and potential weather probs). If only I had a barbecue. I love barbecues! I will have one from August though - YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! My new flat!

Ok, I am totally overusing the smileys so I had better go and carry on writing this review that was due, like, last week. Eek!

hugs,
Lxxx
Old 06-14-2001, 10:53 AM   #8  
Scotland's finest export

Default we're so sexist

my rival might be male....i dunno. but hopefully he/she will go out without an umbrella one day and catch a chill and i'll get the happy we love you letter from the met office... but i doubt it!
lolly - i never read the back of the videos till after i watch them. it always spoils it. BF and flatmate (and other pals from work) are all off on an investigative journo course in sheffield so i'm all abandoned this weekend. i figured i would hole up with david boreanaz...
later,
kirsty

Last edited by Kirsty; 06-15-2001 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:10 AM   #9  
A Yankee in Virginia

Kirsty: I agree ... second out of thousands ain't bad. But I know how it feels. I haven't gotten the past 3 jobs I've interviewed for. I've been trying to get to a bigger newspaper, and I'm probably trying to take a bigger step than I should. One place hasn't definitively said no, though, so I keep bugging the editor and sending him new clips of my stories. I'm hoping my persistence pays off! So while I'm happy in my job, I still want to go to a bigger paper!

Not much time to write (hi to everyone though), but I wanted to share this photo of my dog, Toby! (He's my baby! )
Old 06-14-2001, 11:19 AM   #10  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

HI everyone. I had to interveiw a woman for the receptionist job we are vacating. She seems nice. Older lady with lots of experience. And likes to be in that type of job! We'll see.

Garage sale is tomorrow and I am getting all freaky. Lots to get done. If it was just my junk it would be one thing.... but it is the whole families junk. They keep bringing it over! UGHH. Tomorrow bright and early it will open and all the crazed shoppers will be digging through my garage! Also... having pizza tonight... and tomorrow the gals in my neighborhood are have an evening get together.... and Sat. is WI. God help me be strong!!

Kirsty... I think you did fabulous. Right out of college I interviewed for a job. They asked me what my final GPA was and I didn't know yet, I just knew approximately. He said I hestitated and that I seemed to not be confident in my grades. I was really upset, because I honestly did not know. I only knew approx and that is what I told him. Glad I didn't get the job tho...

Kierie... GOOD LUCK!

Lolly... I am here. Now at least. Gotta play around a bit to make some signs on my puter!!

Tonya... I would like to work for the University system. I used to work for the State and didn't like the politics, but I really like the learning environment that the University has!

Brenda... Yah you are here!!

Well, best get back to the grind. Got lots to do and I won't be in tomorrow!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:20 AM   #11  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Kim... What on earth is your dog doing?? Looks like he is car surfing.... Bad Dog!!

OK, I am editing this post because I saw Kim had posted while I did. It wouldn't let me! IT said I can only post 1 message every 60 seconds! What's up with that! Hmmmmm
Old 06-14-2001, 11:23 AM   #12  
flibbertobbergenie!

Aw, poor your chum, K. I totally sympathise. I saw a chum (male) at the weekend who I hadn't seen since Christmas and he has suddenly piled on a lot of weight (he's over 270lbs now), plus he's taken up smoking and drinking. His life is so disorganised and I wish I could help, but like you say about your friend, it has to be his decision. He was asking about WW, but he's kind of trapped by apathy at the moment and doesn't think he has the energy to make any changes. I suggested adding good habits rather than changing bad ones - like buying 2l of mineral water at the shop with the Coke and sticking it on his desk - but he's not in the right place yet. I guess he just needs to hear that click, like your chum with the wedding. It's hard to watch though.

Lxxx
Old 06-14-2001, 11:34 AM   #13  
flibbertobbergenie!

Hi Jen! Kim - cute pic!!! I was just thinking about what made me decide to take the plunge and go back to WW. I thought about it a lot - from September 1999 to March 2000 when I finally went for it. The first thing was seeing holiday photos, then it was having to buy size 24 (20 in US, I think) jeans, and they were tight. Then I realised I was making excuses not to have to climb stairs or walk up even really small hills or eventually even walk anywhere at all. But I don't think there was just one click, it was more like part of an ongoing process of getting my whole life in order. It's like, it wasn't just food, I had to rethink my whole philosophy of life. A holistic approach. Hmm.

What about you guys, what made it happen for you? Is it a food thing, pure and simple, or the whole way you live your lives?

Ooh, I'm so profound today
Old 06-14-2001, 11:37 AM   #14  
Scotland's finest export

Default WHAT MADE YOU CLICK?

so, speaking of clicks - why did you join WW? what made you finally decide it was time to lose weight?

For me it was a comment made by an exBF. I was always bigger than everyone else as a kid and I always just put it down to big bones and all that. I was totally in denial. I used to think that my sister and I were about the same size and since she looked ok, i must do too. I used to ask to borrow her clothes and get upset when they didn't fit! but cos i was tall i always felt it was ok to be bigger than others, even though i didn't like it. most friends told me i looked fine and even when my mum started WW i didn't feel i needed to. partly because i felt it was for old people and also because i didn't want to have to count points for bread and so on. anyhow. i was having a bad time at uni and i had no time to do as much sport as i'd been doing, but nor did i have enough time to cook so i was effectively tripling my calories and doing no exercise. and the pounds piled on. exBF was still v much in love with me but when we went to visit my family i said something about my sister and asked him who was bigger (foolishly thinking he'd say we were about the same) he looked so puzzled and said that she was (because to anyone with a brain she was sooo much thinner than me!). only i had no brain and i got really upset by this but i think it finally shattered my illusion and i decided it was time to lose weight. and now i am skinnier than my sister! so even though exBF and i split up (cos we lived in different countries) i'm v glad he made the comment. it's funny because he thought i knew i was bigger than my sister back then and couldn't work out why i was asking....

so - what made you click?
Old 06-14-2001, 11:38 AM   #15  
Scotland's finest export

Default spooky

eek lolly - identical ideas! cool. right everyone - you've heard our stories....share yours!
oh, and for me it is mostly a food thing, but it definitely is how i live my whole life (it revolves round food!).
being healthy was, and still is, my aim. better skin, better figure, better health and all that.
Closed Thread