Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:26 AM   #1  

Default 50 or more week of May 26

If you have fifty or more pounds to lose, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

Hi Carol! Sounds like things are going terrific out there in Florida; I'm so glad you enjoy your new position so much. They are lucky to have you! Your little dog sounds so cute; I'll bet your little sweeties love playing with him. And it's sweet of your ex-dh to walk him, too.

JOYce, your cancer walk-a-thon is really taking off! (But I agree with Carol, now, be sure to delegate!) That is amazing about the woman who plans to walk all night and then bike 100 miles ... what stamina she must have! When we've done the walk-a-thons, the most any of us took at one stretch was an hour; most took 30 minutes.

DH and I just got back from the ranch; we went out around dawn this morning, kayaked and fished at the lake, and checked the cows. It was just gorgeous, and even semi-cool. We caught and released about 8 fish, most around a pound and a half, though DH's friend caught an 11 pounder a few weeks ago out there. (He released that one too.) No special plans for the rest of the day, just straightening up the house a little. DH will take Dad to the ranch this evening when it's cool again.

So, what's everyone else doing today? Hi to Nascar Girl, Hottie, Janet, Texaslady, Linda, and Bandit! Stop in and say hi when you can!
Regards,
Jan
Old 05-26-2003, 06:42 PM   #2  
Inchworm

Thanks Carol! for the reminder! I forgot about the magazine when I took off up North. I went right out today after reading your message and got one. I would not have known it was you Jan, especially having the state wrong. The photo doesn't do you justice.
Sounds like you had a great day at the ranch! How far is the ranch from your home? Does dad like to fish?

I've done some sorting out and straightening up today, nothing major...didn't even touch the relay stuff, well hardly, just to show it to someone new. and not to worry girls! I have learned to delegate, and this is a project that is easy to do that with. I'm mostly 'tying all the ends together'....paper work, schedules etc.

I have approval for my full echo cardiogram on Thursday, so will know the whole story. The cardiologist doesn't expect to see any big problem.

Guess I better get cleaned up, the kids will be arriving soon to go out for Gpa's bday dinner. (See, I'm not even cooking that! a real first).
Old 05-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone:

Still hanging in there - haven't had much success lately with my w/i. Down some, up some, etc etc etc. Seems if I don't have some kind of loss at the scales, I go way off programme then by the time the next week rolls around, even if I have some good days, it doesn't show.

Hope everyone is doing good & will talk to you soon.

Bye for now.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #4  
Inchworm

Bandit, Sounds like you are talking about me!
Good for you for 'hanging in there', I am too. We will conquer this beast!!
Keep on keepin on!
Old 05-27-2003, 09:56 AM   #5  

JOYce, will send good vibes your way for Thursday's cardiogram; I'm so glad to hear that the doctor doesn't anticipate problems. WTG on letting someone else fix that birthday dinner! Re: the ranch, it's about a 20-minute drive. Dad doesn't really care for fishing, but he likes to go out there and sit on the porch. (He didn't go with us yesterday, as it was way too early in the a.m. for him; he gets up between 9 and 10, and we were already home by then.)

Bandit, keep on hanging in there; it just takes time! I know what you mean about getting discouraged when there's a gain (I had plenty of those on the way down!) but think of how far you've come, and remember that YOU ARE WORTH all the effort it takes to get healthier! If you want to shake up the program a bit, you might want to try a higher protein, lower carb approach (like in the Week 6 book, The Right Mix.) Sometimes that would kick things into gear for me, because I tend to overdo carbs like potatoes, bread, etc. Cutting those back really helped me start losing again. Also, walking helps a LOT, even just 20 minutes. If you get your heartrate up a little (not a lot ... just a brisk walk) it somehow changes your body chemistry and makes it easier to lose.

Gotta run ... this is the last week of school, and there are so many loose ends to tie up!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:38 PM   #6  

Janetmae - thanks for the advice.

I will try the higher protein since I gravitate towards the carbs
hopefully will help. And will keep doing my tape - love that tape.

Bye for now.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #7  

Bandit, that tape you told us about, is that the Leslie Sansome Walking Away the Pounds? I need to look into that ...

Not much happening here. DH had to work late, so I actually grilled shrimp tonight; first time ever, as DH is the grillmeister around here. It worked out okay, but wasn't easy; have gained a new appreciation of what it takes to grill stuff. Also grilled a veggie medly of onion, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, and yellow squash. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Hope everyone's having a great week!

Jan
Old 05-29-2003, 09:41 AM   #8  

Hi Janetmae:

Yes, I use the 2 mile Leslie tape - takes 1/2 hour. This is the only thing that has worked to keep me getting some regular exercise.
Other stuff I do for a couple of days then get off track. But, I have made this part of my morning routine & has worked much better. I have missed a few mornings and then make it up at night. But I find getting it done in the morning work best for me then I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day then if I get some other exercise - bonus.

I use the frozen butterfly shrimp with the shell still on for grilling.
They are nice & big & easy to turn. They even come in different varieties of spices. Lemon/pepper is what I usually use - yummy.
Doen't take long at all. I love grilled veggies in foil. Whatever is in the fridge goes in with some Italian dressing - nice way to use leftovers as well.

I made the diet cola chicken last night for the first time & really liked it.

Off to Niagara Falls this weekend - so have to behave myself with eating out.

Have a great day.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:28 AM   #9  

Bandit, thanks for the tip about the frozen butterfly shrimp! Sounds like they would be much easier to work with. I almost dumped half the shrimp in the fire... was trying to use a rack turner thingy, but the shrimp shrank and started slipping! Caught it just in time, and dumped them into the grilled veggie "wok" thing, a bowl with holes all over it. I like the idea of the Italian dressing! Will have to try that!

Have a great time at Niagara Falls ... what fun!

JOYce, today is your appt with the doctor... sending good vibes and prayers your way .... ((hugs))

Busy day here, last day of school; am taking tomorrow off for my annual checkup. Gotta get those grades done! I had exceptional students this year, and they are almost all making A's, no one failing. I love it when that happens!

Regards,
Jan
Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 AM   #10  
Inchworm

Thanks Jan. I'm getting ready 'to get ready' to go for the test. I suppose it will be a few days before I know the results.

will let you know.
I hope your annual check up goes well.
Do you and dh have travel plans for your time off from school?

bandit Enjoy Niagara Falls! <<<fun memories>>>
those shrimp sound like they would be a really good idea! I'm like Jan, not a grillmeister. maybe I will try to find them and give them a try! dh will leave on a fishing trip for 2 weeks, and dgd and I will be 'bacheloretting' it. a time to experiment with new food ideas.
She is going to be a big help to me in the Relay this weekend, helping me get things unloaded, and walking some of the middle of the night hrs. I need to brush off my pedometer and log my miles!

gotta scoot! have a great day!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:49 PM   #11  
Inchworm

Thumbs down It's me again..

A fun day, in very sunny CALIF!!
After my echo, I treated mysellf to a shopping trip to the ceramic warehouse and bought some clay, and ordered a new mold. Then I discovered a new thrift store, where I bought some beautiful water glasses with rainbow stems. (drinking even water from a stemmed glass is some kind of special thing for me.)
then I went to TJ's and found the shrimp, which I will save for tomorrow night and picked up a beautiful bouquet of flowers! TJ"S has such good prices on them.. Stopped at the Japanese place for California roll . A whole half a day, just for me!! what a treat!
Now back to reality Must do a flylady routine around here!
Old 05-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #12  

JOYce, whew, what a day! Sounds like the echo went well? But I guess you won't get results for a while. The glasses sound lovely ... I enjoy using pretty glasses too, even for water.

Dad finished his physical therapy today, and now the hard part starts ... getting him to continue the exercises at home! I think they've really helped so far. He and Dh just went out to the ranch together, and I'm fixing dinner and then going to the eighth grade promotion ceremony. Tomorrow is San Antonio, lotsa errands. Tomorrow night is the HS graduation, and then a party at a family friend's house for her graduating daughter. Busy week!

Re: summer travel, we usually try to go somewhere COOL (temp wise!) so are heading to Maine, Quebec and Montreal in late June. Can't wait!

See everybody later! Carol, how's that sweet little dog doing? Does she like to take walks? I used to enjoy walking my DS's dogs, years ago.

Gotta get busy ... ttyl!
Jan
Old 05-31-2003, 04:01 PM   #13  

Hi from hot and sunny but breezy central Florida! I hope the weekend is going well for everyone.
Joyce, I hope all was well with the echo. Let us know when you have results! You mentioned T.J.'s- we don't have them down here, and boy, do I miss them!! I can get the Kashi and a few other things down here (at a higher price!), but some things aren't to be found- like my favorite Milton's healthy multigrain bread and the low fat frozen selections.
Jan, how did your checkup go? I am overdue for repeat blood work and follow up doctor's visit once I get the blood done- which I hope will be soon! I couldn't get off to do the blood, and the labs and doctor's aren't too working person friendly with their hours down here- guess they think all Floridians are retired! NOT!!!! Jackie(dog) and I walk a mile to a mile and a half early in the morning before work and again in the evening after it cools down. The length of the walk depends on when she does what I have her out there to do. We go around the perimeter of the development, and she's made lots of human buddies!

Gotta run- the "breeze" I mentioned must have blown something down on my porch- I just heard a noise out there. Hi to all- take care.
Carol
Old 05-31-2003, 05:01 PM   #14  

Hi Carol! Glad you're getting a little breeze to offset the heat! Hope it didn't break anything on your porch, though. I know what you mean about how hard it is to find time for a blood test, etc.; it's especially hard when we live over an hour away from most facilities, too. Re: the checkup, thanks, it went just fine. (Do you remember several years ago, when I told y'all I hadn't had a checkup in many years, never a mammogram, and you all told me to get busy and make appointments? That really helped, you know, and I've been "good" about going in every year now. Thanks again for that ...)

I hope you're able to get that blood work done soon; hope there's not a problem there?

Jackie sounds really cute; it must be fun walking with her.

Guess I'd better go; DH is helping me move furniture around, and he's doing all the work right now. Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Regards,
Jan
Old 06-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #15  

Had great time in Niagara Falls. Didn't stay completely OP but had fun anyway. Last Thurs at w/i I was up .6# - better than usual. Hoping for better results this Thurs. Have kicked up my protein - I think this helps.

Have a great week - bye for now.
Closed Thread