Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 08:13 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Hump Day

Hey all,

it's a beautiful today and snowing tons. I finally got a parking spot in my complex and had someone else park there grrr, but it's okay, if it happens again I'll just leave a happy little note, if that doesn't work, I'll call security.

I turned down a well-paying contract to finish school... In the end I think I made the best choice. I have an okay pay part-time job, so it's not so bad.

Anyhoo, points and food wise I have been doing well over the last few days and have been doing 40-45 mins of cardio. I have to forget about the aerobics until March due to my schedule, but I will try and get certified later.

Anyhoo, have a good wednesday!

Ali
Old 01-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #2  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!

Last night we went out and I bought a Tanita scale! I am so excited! It measures in .2 pounds increments and it measures body fat too! It has to be accurate because it is about 7 pounds higher then my other crappy scale....and likely right on with WW scales....will find out tonight at weigh in. I checked the percent of body fat and I have to say I am so disgusted with myself! I don't want to even say what it told me....but it was a LOT!!!

Today I am going to playgroup with my sister. She has a 3 yo and I have a 2 yo. So the kids should have fun together. It's funny actually...if the kids haven't seen each other in a couple of days when we get together...they will drop everything they are holding and run into each others arms, each saying the others name. It is too cute.

Weigh in tonight...feeling ok about it. I had a good week on program....although ate a couple of things I didnt plan on.

I am getting closer to dropping to a new point range which I to be honest scares me. I don't think it will be tonight but I am nervous. Sometimes it is those 2 extra points at the end of the day that really save me.

ANyway, have a great day all.

Angie
Old 01-08-2003, 08:30 AM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Angie - how does a scale measure body fat? I never got that.

It took me so long to make my "Wednesday Thread" post that you guys beat me to it. I'm copying my post here, so ignore the "Wednesday Thread" thread!

Belle - where do you live that you only have to pay for 5 years on a mortgage?!?! A condo here 2 bedroom goes for at least $80,000 up to $130,000! I could buy a house for that much so why buy a condo???

Angie - I never give up points for a drink. I drink water, diet soda, coffee, and tea. The only time I will EVER give up points for a drink is if I have a LIGHT beer which is 2 points. I have 18-23 right now and just went down from 20-25. I started out at 24-27!

Kim - Come on now, you can lose that weight! Don't give up, it will keep coming off. Just get back on track and don't blame yourself for what happened over the weekend.

Ok girls, I got a lot of work today. I'll check in later. Not much new here
Old 01-08-2003, 09:16 AM   #4  

Lori...The tanita scale measures body fat by sending some type of current through your body (not harmful). I can't find it in the manual right now...but last night I read it in there somewhere that this current can go quickly thru muscle and water but fat slows the current down. So I guess based on how much the current is slowed down it comes up with a percentage of body fat that you have. I think it is pretty acurate. You have to stand with barefeet so the current can go thru undisrupted...also you are suppose to be naked...(which is my fav way of weighing in anyway)...too bad I can't do that at my official weigh in Anyway, my dh and I both tried it and even though I am just 6 pounds heavier then him he is so skinny and lean that his body fat percentage came back at only 15%. Mine on the other hand was a whopping 45% I definatly think it is right though...I have a LOT of fat on me...on my butt, tummy, face...hmmmmm just about everywhere!

So, in very basic terms....that is how it measure body fat percentage.

Angie
Old 01-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #5  
Eve's Mom

Default Good Morning!!!

Hey girls!

I WI yesterday and I was........drum roll....the same!! This makes me happy since TOM is today so I was expecting something in way of +2# or so. Yay!!

Lori - to answer your housing questions (I will answer in full so I hope you really wanted to know the answer!! ). I live in Calgary, Canada - the interest rates for a mortgage are "lock-in able" for 1,2, 3, 5 10 years, etc. Right now, interest rates are super low - but we expect they will rise partly because of the US tax cuts - your interest rates will rise and CAnada will have to follow suit. There are other factors as well, but basically, we have been enjoying very low rates and in the next 3 months expect a rise. So now is the time to lock in. 5 years is the best term b/c its long enough to pay off a fair chunk of principle while still allowing flexibility. For example, if we lock in for 5 years, it might be a 5% interest rate, but if we do for 10 years, its 6%. so its better to lock in for 5, then re-finance later. Our mortagage will take about 19 years to pay off.

About cost of housing. The housing industry is booming in Calgary - we have the most jobs and its deemed one of the best cities to live in in Canada. WE have always owned a home and homes are not difficult to sell here, whereas on the East Coast of Canada, you could be stuck with a house for life! No kidding. However, the cost of rentals have skyrocketed with the # of people coming out here to work, so more and more people are turning to purchase homes. As a result the city is growing at record rates - my sisters, for example, are living about a 40 minute drive from downtown (in fair traffic, longer in rush hour) - because that is how far out they had to go to build a house in the city. The further out you go, the cheaper your home will be (generally). So my sisters houses were about $180,000 (but about 1600 sq ft on a good size lot). But they are out in the boonies and pretty much have to commute. My condo is $150,000. Its riverfront property, and about half the size of my sisters homes, with no yard (obviously, its a condo) but a huge balcony. Its about a 15 min walk to downtown and in a very high class, older neighbourhood of Calgary. Therefore, the cost of housing is higher. The larger the city gets, the more the riverfront/inner city housing becomes. Even the hooker/rough areas are being turned over and higher end/trendy condos (we are talking $400,000 a condo!!! Yikes) are being built.

So this is a good location and price for b/f and I right now, as we are both working downtown and we have no children. however, in 3 years we'll want kids and then we'll have a 25% downpayment for a larger home (with a good size lot). With infaltion raising the cost of homes by 3%/year, we will probably buy a house that NOW is $200,000 but in 3 years we'll need about $220,000 for it.

That's our three year plan......I know, its a lot to ingest, but you asked hee hee! Don't hate me, I like to talk about it......betcha you'll think twice before you ask me something again!!

Ali - woo hoo on your pts and working out!! I can feel your pain about your spot - happens to me LOTS....get 'em towed! It feels good

Angie - GAH! I don't wanna KNOW what my fat percentage is...holy cow!! I think I'd break down and cry (probably like 75% or something!!) but its good to know you aren't cheating yourself when you step a scale that is magically "lower" even though we know its not accurate its nice trick yourself (and damaging in the long run). Don't get obsessed with WI when its not WI day though!

Well, back to work, lots to do...have a good OP day!

BBL!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #6  

Belle...You are right about becoming a slave to the scale...I am trying to conquer my dependacy on it (so I go and buy a new accurate scale....yeah thats gonna help ) . However, the reason I bought a new one is actually because WHEN I start doing this at home with no weigh in's I want to know it is my real weight when I step onto it.

Lori...I don't spend points on drinks either....seems like such a waste when I could use them to eat more!!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:55 PM   #7  

Belle...One more thing......there is NO WAY you would be 75% fat. LOL
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #8  
A Yankee in Virginia

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm trying! I'm going to the gym tonight.

I'm sitting here really hating my job today. It bores me. My bosses ask me to do dumb things. I really hope one of these new potential jobs comes through because I need to get out of here. I really think I just need something new, a change. I've been here more than four years.

Belle: Your condo looks really nice! When do you move in?

Last edited by kimobi; 01-08-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #9  
Eve's Mom

Hey Kim! Thanks, I am really excited about moving in, but the reno's take until mid -March. The earliest would be the 15th of March, but likely closer to the end of March. We'll tell our land lady on March 1 and stay the last month.

When do you find out about your job(s)??

Well, I went to the gym today after I took Mon and Tuesday "off". I was so physically tired from all that cleaning and fixing at mom's on the weekend the thought of working out was daunting....but today I was feeling more peppy so I did a step/pump class for 45min. It was fun. Tomorrow I'll try "muscle pump"....

Anyway, I should head out as I want to leave in 2 hours to go to the showhome and choose our options!!

Have a good night all!
Old 01-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #10  
Running Babe

Angie: When my gym had the Tanita scale it tended to put people's body fat % quite a few points higher than it was. If possible, I say go to a qualified fitness assessor, they could most likely give you a more accurate picture.

Belle: That is so cool about the Condo. Ottawa is also having a housing crunch, but with the Real Estate market exploding the vacancy rates are much better now.

Kim: Good luck with the jobs, a change is always a good thing

Lori: Hey!

Everyone have a good evening

Ali
Old 01-08-2003, 08:24 PM   #11  
Canadian Chick

Hey all!

Sorry I'm posting so late. Most of you probably won't even see this until tomorrow but oh well. The day got away from me & here it is 7pm! Crazy! Anyway I am having a super day pointwise. I still have quite a few left. Yesterday I managed to bank 4 sothat was good & today so far I'm doing better than that. Now I jsut need to get on the exercise wagon!

Angie, I have never heard of a Tanita scale. Is it expensive? Our scale is crap so we are thinking about getting a new one. I'm hoping for a digital one b/c I get frustrated with the analogue one we have now. I had that body fat thing done at a gym once. Its cool but I think it would make me more upset than motivated.

Belle, all your housing talk is interesting. Vacancy is less than 1% here in Saskatoon so the rents are climbing higher & higher as well as buying a house. You can still build a fairly decent house for not too much money if you don't mind living way on the west end. If you want to commute from any of the little towns around you can build a nice house very reasonably on a nice sized lot That's what we're aiming for but not for at least 5 years. DH has to finish univ first & get a job in his field.

Ali, send some snow our way. Today it was so windy here. I ended up chasing some papers down the street & feeling very goofy. I felt like I was in one of those old slapstick comedies.

Kim, hope you hear about your jobs soon. Did you make it to the gym? We can do this if we work hard right?

Lori, how did your long day go today? Did you notice my favorite team the Calgary Flames, has been winning since they hired a coach? I haven't gotten to watch them play hockey for quite some time now & am going through withdrawal! My DH's favorite team seems to be on TV lots lately (OIlers ) which of course I watch but don't really enjoy unless they are beating some team I dislike or they get beat badly (hee hee ) Bad I know!

BTW DH & I went & watched "Catch Me If You Can" last night. It was really good & very enjoyable. I reccomment it. There is hardly any violence or bad language or dirty scenes either. Good ending too.

Anyway I should run. Talk to you all tomorrow!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:32 PM   #12  

I spent about $130.00 on it (taxes in) that is Canadian funds....

Tanita is suppose to be one of the best ones out there. I have heard tons of positive things about it...that is why I searched it out till I found a store that carried them.

Official weigh in tonight was down .2 . Slow and steady right?

Angie
Closed Thread