Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #246 Bale of Turtles Starting Fresh!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration, we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We beleive in keepin' on by using the skills and techniques we have learned from experience to keep us on track. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #2  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Princess, right away I'd say that if I ate a salty dinner I would definitely hold fluids that would show up on the scale. The following day I would drink more water than usual and the fluid weight would go away. I hope this is the case with you because on the new points plus plan, the weight should be going down. :

Well, I'm through the holidays in not such bad shape. I only had one day that I would consider a binge day-----not bad at all. The other days I calculated points plus in my head, avoided anything ridiculous, and enjoyed the day and the company. Yay for me!

Hey Peanutt and Lizzie-----a long time ago when I started WW's again in 2000 (I can't believe it) I made myself a promise. I bought a sterling silver bracelet with loops when I lost my first five pounds. Then at the same time, I bought a charm for the bracelet. I determined to do this every five pounds, buying only charms that were pretty and signified something to me. I did it for the first 20#, ran into snags and abandoned the idea. Well, you gals have me thinking again about what a nice incentive that would be. My first mini goal will be to update my bracelet and then work for the next 5# reward. Yay!

My promises to myself:
1. track each day
2. keep away from 5point nuts snack at end of day
3. exercise 3X week

Is this a good start?

Best of everything to us Turtles!

Princess, that chicken risotta recipe looks awesome. I've got it printed out and ready to go!
Bandit, what a great year you've had. Here's to further success in reaching goal. :
Life4evr, good luck at work for and for eating right!
Lizzie, love your enthusiasm. Let's make this work!
Peanutt, terrific weight loss. You inspire me. :
Cherry, love your efforts while dealing with little ones. As you do this, you'll be setting a good example for your children.
Aliez, always enjoyed your posts. How are you doing? :
If I've missed anyway, I apologize. It's early here in NY.

Love,
Judy
234.6/188.2/170's and thinner

Last edited by Itryharder; 01-04-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles

Sounds like everyone is really motivated which I love to hear and setting mini goals is a great idea. Mine would be: journal everyday, excercise 3x/week
and only bring in foods which are on programme & no excuses with that.
Also more decluttering of my house which is still not done. Hope that will "declutter" my bad habits.

Princess - I did not go out shopping on boxing day. To me that has lost some of the impact of years ago there were no sales until then, now everything is on sale before the holidays & I really didn't need anything.
Your weight gain might be from the salt - I can gain 3# overnight when I extra salty foods.

Judy - good for you for only having 1 overeating day. That is fabulous!

I love that you are all setting new goals for 2011 and good luck to everyone on achieving them.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #4  

Wow looks like everyone is extra motivated.

All the kids have colds and i have a sinus cold myself. This has been a tough winter for sickness and there is still a lot left. Yesterday i recieved my ww kit in the mail so i guess today will be my first day on the new program and also back on the wagon. I like everyones ideas for mini goals and rewards. My main goal will be to track everything daily.

Good to hear from Judy, Bandit, Princess, Peanutt, Lizzie, and Life4evr. Hope i didnt forget anyone. I have mommy brain.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Judy: Yep, that is what I thought too but am concerned because not only did I not lose but rather gained from my starting weight... ugh, oh well I am looking at the material again, counting every single thing and will keep at it. I have a question about the zero point fruit/veggie thing if you don't mind. Say you have an apple, and that alone would be zero points but if you add something to it like maybe you bake it with some sugar or a pat of butter... do you only count the sugar and the butter or do you have to add the point value of the apple now too because you added something to it? Sorry - I hope that question makes sense.

Bandit: I don't do our Black Friday here either, too crazy and just not worth it. Sounds like you are really working on your plan and getting ready to take it to an even higher level - that is just so great!

Cherry: Sick again... ugh, very sorry to hear that! Feel better!
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #6  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess1122 View Post
I have a question about the zero point fruit/veggie thing if you don't mind. Say you have an apple, and that alone would be zero points but if you add something to it like maybe you bake it with some sugar or a pat of butter... do you only count the sugar and the butter or do you have to add the point value of the apple now too because you added something to it? Sorry - I hope that question makes sense.
Your question makes perfect sense, Princess....hope you don't mind me jumping in with my thoughts on it. This is something that I was confused about too. You see, the recipe builder adds points for fruits and vegetables when you add them to the recipe. I believe that the official WW instruction is to count points for fruits and veggies in the recipes.

When I asked about it here, some people said that their WW leader said that if the fruits and veggies can be separated from everything else (like in a salad) then they are 0 points, but if it was something like shredded carrots in muffins the points should count. I personally find that too fussy for my own use of the WW program (and honestly it just doesn't make that much sense to me), so I always count fruits and veggies as 0 points, unless I'm eating a larger quantity of them for the etools tracker to register them as points (I think I've only had this come up once).

I think that whatever you do, be consistent and compare it with your progress over a couple of weeks. If you're plateauing and you're not counting fruits and veggies in recipes then maybe start counting them and see if that helps break through. I keep thinking of the phrase that I've seen lots in reference to the new WW plan.....I don't think anyone has ever ended up at WW because they ate too many fruits and vegetables!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #7  
Chick

Okay, I'm chiming in on the zero point fruits and veggies as an ingredient in another food. This is what I think: it doesn't matter all that much. If I took an apple, lots of butter, sugar, and crumbs to make an apple cobbler, the point of one apple would be dwarfed by the other highly caloric items. At most counting in the apple would raise the serving by one point. Therefore, I wouldn't count in the apple.

On the other hand, I can see me making a perfectly legit and zero point baked apple that would be yummy by putting the apple, cinnamon, stevia, and a bit of water into a dish and microwaving it. Still zero points as far as I can see and a nice option when you've had all the fresh apples you can stand. I have been making my own zero point soups every day. I make a huge pot so I don't have to chop daily. It's great for a base for lunch and also as a snack around four o'clock as I did today.

I am trying to work in some milk, so I had a ff yogurt today. Tasty, but yogurt has never held me. That's why I love the zero point fruit. I've got a bunch of Clementines (bought on sale) in the fridge along with some nice apple and grapes. Yay!

Good luck to everybody.
Cherry----get well soon.
Bandit, you're doing great. When you say declutter do you mean food or items around the house ? I love to declutter and every once in a while I need to do that.

Gotta run. Be well and happy.
Judy
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/204/155

Height: 5'7"

Good Afternoon Turtles!

I had my first weigh in today - we drove back from South Fork this morning so I could make my meeting. I had a loss of 7.6#

Needless to say - I am thrilled!

Princess - I'm making the Risotto tonight - yummy

Itryharder - I love the bracelet idea - they have a Brighton store here and they have some great frames with chains that you can add charms to. I'm not sure how many charms it will hold - but I'm going to check it out. They also have bracelets - but thought how fun would it be to put an after picture in with charms showing the journey!

Bandit - I don't do Black Friday/Boxing day either. I already have too much "stuff" and have a goal to unclutter and turn all the things I don't need into cash with a big garage sale in the Spring.

Last edited by FetchLizzie; 01-04-2011 at 07:13 PM.
FetchLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 279/270/180

Hope everyone had a good day. I have learned again I need to avoid fast food at all cost. Or stick with a grilled chicken sandwhich. That is all with my quick fly by post.
life4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #10  

Thanks so much for all of the replies about the fruit / veggie question!

I agree and that is what I thought initially - then I saw something somewhere, hard to say what or where I saw it as I have been doing a lot of searching lately on the plan to make sure that I am understanding it, etc. But for some reason I am thinking it was a recipe that I saw posted in the community section on the WW site - anywho... it made me question what I thought I knew and was thinking that I needed to do many things differently if that was the case.

Tired tonight, made it to Aqua Fit for a total of 50 minutes but the water was just too cold so I did not stay for the whole 60 minutes. Came home and had some leftovers that we had in the fridge for supper, now I am in my PJ's and heading to bed.

Lizzie: A huge congrats to you! You will be way down in no time!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #11  
Chick

Lizzie, holy moly! What a great weight loss. :
Wow! That is great. You are on track all the way.

Princess, so glad you got to your Aqua Fit tonight. Staying the 50minutes is so much better than none.

Hey Gals, I've got a small problem that I'm not breaking. My dh eats at erratic hours----often at night. Although I'm not really hungry at night, I'm eating at night again. I'm not going over my 29 points+, but I know I'd have a better loss if I stopped the night hunting. Any suggestions?
Judy
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #12  

Default Night eating

Itryharder - I think it is great that you are already aware that your hubby's habits of eating at night may become a problem for you - my advise is to plan. Save a low point treat that you can enjoy when it comes to hubby's snack time.

From what my consultant says - as long as you are keeping within your points you should be fine. I know that we have all been conditioned to stop eating after a certain point in the evening - but from all of the info I've been reading lately - we are finding that it really doesn't matter in the long run as long as we don't "overeat"

So- my advise is save a special treat and enjoy it with your hubby - then maybe suggest a little extra evening "activity" to burn off a few calories!

Lizzie
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 279/270/180

Yall I cannot stop eating for some reason. It's TOM so I guess that is the cause of this. On another note, I got the mobile weight watchers application to work on my blackberry. Yay. My hours at working are hopefully working out finally.
life4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone and happy Wednesday to you all... super cold here again today but I think the sun is supposed to shine again so that is a wonderful thing! They are calling for some snow Thursday night into Friday but not much at all so no worries there.

No major plans for the weekend for us other than the usual stuff. I have scheduled/planned my weeks out for the next three months to try and keep busy and not let other things get in the way of what I need to do - basically I blocked my calendar with "me" time. I scheduled my exercise times and also my group times for TOPS, WW and knitting... still trying to find a book club to join so maybe I will get lucky and find one of those also.

Judy: I have to agree with Lizzie on this one - maybe some sugar-free jello, good low point cereals, special fruit items - stuff like that maybe that will seem like a treat, give you something in your tummy, and still enjoy time with your DH. Also one other suggestion - When my DH is just snacking away and I either don't have the points to spare or am not truly hungry I have started carrying my Nook, Knitting Bag or one of my magazines around with me so that I have something at hand to keep my busy while he eats... the knitting works best for me because it takes both of my hands (giggle) but the others are a good option also. BTW my DH is a "Sleep Eater" UGH! drives me crazy, he actually will get up out of bed, go get something from the kitchen, then come back into the bed and eat it, all while still being asleep... as a matter of fact he was doing it last night with a whole bag of Cheese-its! I just wanted to thump him but rolled over and went back to sleep instead Good luck and keep us posted!

Lizzie: You are doing sooo great! I have never been to your neck of the woods except passing through (you have a nice airport!) but I'll bet your outside exericse possibilities are endless! How wonderful!

Life: Keep your chin up! I have all kinds of those issues during my TOM - just keep your eye on the prize!

Have to run but will pop back on over my lunch time if I can, I am going to walk the halls today on my lunch since it is knitting night and I won't make it to the gym.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #15  

Good Morning Turtles!

Just stopping by with a quick question for everyone before I head to the gym!

What is your "go-to" food for a quick, healthy and P+ friendly choice?

Here's my first contribution I take a Choibani(brand) greek yogurt and mix in a portion of ground flax and add a piece of fresh fruit for a 5 point breakfast! I found the yogurt & flax at my local Costco.

The yogurt is non-fat and loaded with protein & calcium. The flax gets me tons of the good Omegas that we all need more of!

For those of you who are not big yogurt fans - if you haven't tried the Greek Yogurt, give it a try. It has a different taste and creaminess that has made me a fan. The box I buy has 3 flavors, Peach - Blueberry - Strawberry. My fav it the blueberry-but they all taste really good.

So- what's your go to favorite?

Lizzie