Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:36 PM   #1  
Net browser

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #194

Hi Everybody
It's been a long time since I started the new thread and I can't believe we are now on thread no. 194. What a great group of gals we are and what a lot of information and interesting stories we have to tell..... except, Maria kangaroo meat??
Ok, what does it most taste like?? :sheep: ( hee hee I always wanted to use all those cute little guys)
Peggy yesterday when I was out with my friend, she was telling me that about 6 weeks ago there was a skunk in her daughter's yard, and her "granddog" was out in the yard at the same time. Everytime you let the dog out now, he has to go and sniff the spot where the skunk had been, so I guess the animal odour lingers, and that's why your doggie was so SURE the chipmunk was still in that pipe.

Since my son’s home was broken into it has made me even more aware of how careful we should all be. My son has had a great new security system installed in his home now, and I decided to up grade ours too. (This means I likely will not have to make use of the “squirrel box” blockade anymore.) I had the fellow out to the house that my son used to install his system. He spent quite a bit of time explaining all the different options there were to securing your home and one of the best things he said that we could do for ourselves, is to THINK like a crook. He said, make sure that if you are away, your mail and newspaper are being picked up, have timer lights installed in different rooms of your home. He suggested at least two, to come on and off at different times. He mentioned installing sensor lighting near all outside doors……..common sense things like snow being shoveled or arranging to have the grass cut if you are away for any length of time. Another thing he said, is not to leave keys to your vehicles and garage/shed nicely labeled right where someone could find them if you did have a break in. The other thing the fellow mentioned was that in this day and age where so many people have access to the internet either through home computers or computers at work is the information people put out there. He said he knows of several cases where seniors have been using the internet and “talking” to other people who travel a lot with motor homes and trailers and things. They get in touch with each other on the Internet and find out which parks to go to and arrange to meet each other there, or arrange to travel “caravan style”. He said the thing is, they have to remember they are not “TALKING” to just a select few people/friends but they are putting information out there for all of cyberspace to read….thousands and thousands of people, who are not ALL honest nice people. They say when they are leaving their homes (which will be empty), how long they will be gone, and all their plans for this wonderful holiday. He said people have said what town/city they live in (may not give an address) but will say something like, they live two doors down from Joe’s Grocery Store, on the corner of Main and 1st Street.
Some time ago one of the gals who posts on another weight loss board, husband had passed away. One of the other gals, who knew her, meant well and posted the gal’s name and address so that everybody on the board could send her a sympathy card. At the time I thought that was not a very wise thing to do, since the lady was of a “certain age” and living all-alone in the house. I guess the gal who posted the address realized that too and removed it within a couple of days. The fellow from the Security Company also mentioned that people don’t just “talk” about themselves on these Web sites but about their families, friends and children/grandchildren, and where they or their family works, and it wouldn’t take a Brain Scientist to figure out who we are.
I thought since he gave me all this information I would pass it on to you gals. I already knew most of what he said (and likely you all do too), but I thought we could think of it as a refresher course. See you all later.

Last edited by slavika; 10-10-2002 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:36 PM   #2  

G'day all,

Another Friday, boy the time is flying

Slavika thank you for the refresher course, as you said we are all aware of what we should and should not do but you always learn something! I always leave ONE light on a timer not two as was suggested to you. We only spoke of it yesterday because our house will not be occupied when we are away this time. The problem with the timer is that if there is a power failure, the timer will have gone haywire.
In our case, I have a friend who mows the lawns, very nosey neighbours , my s-i-l comes past every morning for her walk to the beach and I have a monitored alarm system and our mail goes to a PO Box. Hopefully we have covered all bases. It is a sad reflection of modern day living that we have to be soooooooo careful.
Kangeroo meat taste very similar to beef, I only buy fillet steak and it hardly has any fat. I personally still find it hard to eat our national icon however dh and ds love it on a barbeque.

Beautiful day here today (we now refer to the weather as top down days ). I am getting very used to the little dream machine and as yesterday was also a 'top down' day, took it for a drive in the afternoon to a friends place.
We will be watching ds play cricket tomorrow and visiting friends on Saturdaynight.
Sunday we are helping ds move into his new house. Settlement is not quite final (still waiting on money from ex girlfriend ) but they are allowing them to move their stuff in providing they do not sleep there until the house is all settled. I think that is very good, normally they don't like you to do that.
Then we will well and truly have our house to ourselves again

Have a great weekend all
Cheers
Maria
Old 10-10-2002, 09:26 PM   #3  
Super Surfer

Smile that is good advice

Slavika.. thanks for the good advice, we all need to be reminded how careful we should be. We have a monitored alarm system, light on a timer and outdoor sensors. We should get another light on a timer in the bedroom end of the house. Years ago an obituary would give the address of the deceased, now you would never do that. So many homes were broken into during the funeral service. I really believe we have to be extra careful on the internet. It is so easy for someone to hack a 'puter and to find out where you live.

The day started out crummy, but got nice in the early afternoon and is just gorgeous out now. We just came home from a busy day. Hubby is in front of the tv watching baseball and I decided to come see what you all are up to.

Maria We eat all the "normal things" like beef, pork, chicken, turkey, sea food, & fish. I can't even bring myself to taste any wild meat like elk, deer, bear etc. Hunting season will be starting soon and a lot of people just can't wait to get going. Once we had bbq goose at an aunts place, .. it was so hard for me to eat it. I found it very greasy, and I felt so bad for the goose.

.. 'nite all..
Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 PM   #4  

Slavika, Thanks for all the what to do's. We are lucky with our son living across the street he takes care of all that and the cat.
Trudy I'm with you I mostly eat chicken and turkey, some beef and pork and the only fish I eat is shrimp. My DD and husband are hunters and eat all the wild game you can think of. I won't eat at their place unless promised to have meat that they didn't shoot.
Have to go! Thanks for all the defining moment stories.
Karen
Old 10-11-2002, 09:09 AM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Good morning: I couldn't eat kangaroo either. And I certainly can't eat alligator, but lots of people do. I'm with you all on the wild game. And in the fish line, I like the salt water fish , mild and white, rather than fresh water fish. Like cod, Haddock, Orange roughy, snapper. those are my favoites as well as shrimp scollops and lobster.
We don't have a security system as such, but have had the pep talks like yours Slavika from law enforcement representatives. We live in a gated community, and haave neighborhood watch. One thing they mentioned, also, was to keep bushes trimmed around your house so they don't leave any convenient hiding places for thieves.
Have a great day. Ann
Old 10-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #6  
Fun Blonde

I am with everybody else on the game meats. I hate chicken and everybody is always surprised at that. I like beef and some pork and cod and shrimp. But kangaroo? and alligator? Yuck! Trudy, that is funny--you felt bad for the goose, but not the cow or the pig?

Had a scarey thing happen. Yesterday my ds and dil got a new water heater. She went to the movie with a friend. Kyle called her and said to come home, that he was too ill to take care of Austin. She walked in to a natural gas smell, Kyle vomiting in the bathroom, Austin crying in the living room and the smell of natural gas overpowering. She called the gas company and the worker said the house should have burned down by then, full of gas. The water heater guy left a valve open. Thank God she came home and could smell the gas! I could have lost them all! Just thank God!
Glenda
Old 10-11-2002, 01:46 PM   #7  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Glenda Just read your post....thank God your dil came home when she did.
What a terrible mistake the water heater man made. I am very happy that everybody is fine.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:26 PM   #8  
Super Surfer

Glenda.. Wow!! That really was a close call. Thank God Kyle was able to call and have her come home. I guess that the gas man will be more careful from now on.
That is a funny thing that you would mention the poor cows and little pigs.. as long as I buy them all cut up, wrapped in celophane it doesn't bother me. When I see a little calf or pigglet I feel bad for being a meat eater. When I see a fisherman with a string of fish with the hooks in their mouths it bothers me, and I know I wouldn't want to eat it then. I will eat lobster tails, but to pick out a lobster and have them cook it for me... I guess I should be a vegetarian.. Anyone here eat snake?

What a day, spent most of the afternoon in an auto wreck yard. Last week my hubby was driving the van into the garage and the door wasn't compeletly up.. ( I thought it was funny that it happened to him). Part of the roof rack on the van broke. The Ford dealership wanted $115.00 plus installation and taxes to replace it. My DH went around to the auto yards looking for a part and found one, but he didn't have to tools he needed to remove it from the wreck. Today I wanted to go to the Mall to pick up a pair of shoes they were holding for me, so we struck a deal. He would go to the Mall with me if I went to the auto wrecking yard. It took him so long to find the "perfect" part he needed. ... but I am not complaining

Hope everyone is having a great day.. .. bye for now
Old 10-11-2002, 06:37 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Another beautiful sunny, top down day here in Adelaide

Glenda after the initial relieve that all was well, you must be very angry with this careless gasman If you are anything like me, I couldn't help but keep on going over what could have happened
It is hard to believe that someone could be so careless with a dangerous substance like gas.

As far as the meat , I am a bit like Trudy seeing it all nicely packaged isn't too bad but I would hate to eat meat that was hunted. Don't ask me the difference We don't have hunts here like you speak of, we have a duck hunting season with great controversy each year. I personally don't know of anyone who hunts. Many years ago people would go 'roo shooting and rabbit shooting but most of that is now controlled, especially the roo shooting. So if I wanted to (God forbid) I could go bear, elk etc. shooting in Canada???? Amazing!
I also find it hard to understand the sport of big game fishing when they catch a huge marlin and then once caught throw him/her back after a very long battle trying to hook the poor fish. There must be something I am missing about hunting and big game fishing
And as we continue on what we can or cannot eat, restaurants where you can pick your own live fish from an aquarium, I cannot cope with at all.
As for snakes, there were plenty I came across on my trip back from Sydney, sunning themselves on the bitumen road, but I am not into eating them. At the risk of offending some of you as far as I am concerned the only good snake is a dead snake, the deadly varieties we have really scares me and I cannot tell a deadly one from a harmless one.

I think I might have a vegetarian day today

Have a great day/weekend all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 10-11-2002 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:44 PM   #10  

Default I agree with Maria

The only good snake is a dead snake Lucky you top down weather. Glad you are enjoying your new toy

Once about 35 years ago I went to a resturant where you could choose your own meal from a tank of swimming fish. There I saw a little shrimp swimming around. I ordered chicken and it was years before I could eat shrimp again.

Glenda sure glad your family is alright. But I really think the water heater man should be called on the carpet for that mistake.

My Grand D. has just cut her first two teeth No wonder she has been so fussy. Poor baby .I've heard that babies cutting teeth feels like a really bad tooth ache.

We enjoyed a beautiful day here but tomorrow the other shoe is going to drop and cold wet weather is moving in. Maybe even some flurries.

Got to go. Have a great weekend all

Karen
Old 10-13-2002, 09:04 AM   #11  

Default There has been a lot of livley discussion

going on here. I have been gone for a few days. My friend took me to Columbus to a craft wholesale house Friday and Saturday I went with my sister to a herb fair in the country. I eat mostly chicken and fish and just a little beef and pork. No wild game. I see deer on the weekends when we walk in the big park. I could never eat them. I can't look at a deer head on someone's wall in their house either. Can't imagine eating a kangaroo and Maria is right about snakes. They creep me out. Glenda how lucky your kids were with the gas leak. When you think what could have happened. The gas man was very careless. I am soooo glad everything is ok. Karen you can keep that snow up your way and not share it. It is way too early to be even thinking of it. Slavika you had lots of food for thought in your post. Thanks. Have a good Sunday,
Old 10-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #12  
Super Surfer

Angry Thanksgiving Day

It is our Thanksgiving Day long weekend here. My family is getting together at my brother's home today for our big turkey dinner. Tomorrow, the actual day we will spend with my Hubby's family. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Last night we had company, the menfolk wanted to hear the sports scores so we turned on the tv just in time to see the horrific bombing in Bali. Apparently Maria, this is a favorite spot for Australians to vacation. I hope no one you know was there. The victims were mostly Australians and there were a few Canadians. What a world we live in.

Goose Trivia... The geese are getting ready to migrate so there are so many of them in the open near the water, and in farmers fields. When they migrate and one of them is wounded and falls to the ground, the others in the little family (sometimes 4 or 5) will fly down to be with the wounded bird. This makes them easy prey for the hunters. The geese seem to know if the bird is still alive, if it is killed immediately, they don't fly down. I found that amazing.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend..
Old 10-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Very much doom and gloom here this morning not only on the job front of dh but also the horrific bombing in Bali.

Trudy you are right, many Australians go to Bali for a cheap holiday and at this time of the year, many football clubs have their end of season trip in Bali. It is constantly on the news here and the Australian Government are ferrying the injured back to Australia by chartered aircraft. The saddest thing is that it is mostly young people that frequent that particular area of Bali.
We are hearing some awful things from the survivors.

We helped ds move into his new place yesterday though they were not allowed to sleep there as they still have not settled.
Ds is still waiting for the money from his ex-girlfriend and until he gets that he cannot finalise the purchase of this property. I will be pleased when that is settled, one less thing to worry about.
DH was on a hook-up this morning and more doom and gloom coming from the States.
I will start looking for full time work ASAP in case dh is made redundant. I had hoped not to work again in Adelaide. It is not quite as easy to get work in Adelaide then it was in Sydney, I will get my house back in shape this week and start doing the rounds of employment agencies next week.

Hopefully I will have cheerier news next time.

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-14-2002, 07:06 AM   #14  

Maria I just saw in the morning paper the story on on the bombing in Indonesia. How awful! I hope your dh hangs in there. When I was in Columbus Friday we went past the Lucent building. It is huge. Trudy, didn't that about the ducks. Interesting. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS! Peggy
Old 10-14-2002, 11:55 AM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Maria - I have just been reading about Indonesia. So sorry! I am just sickened that people do these things to others! Hope you get good news about your husband's job.

I was just thinking, reading your posts, how wonderful it is to talk to people all over the world! We get to experience all kinds of things we wouldn't if we just knew people like us. I thought everyone hunted (we don't, but so many do around here.) And we don't eat the same or know the same celebrities, but basically, we are so similar.

Saw my kids this weekend. Took care of Austin. They are fine after their scare, but the gas man is aware of how close he came to a tragedy! All he said was, "thank you for telling me." They think that is because of admitted liability.
Glenda
Closed Thread