Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 07:09 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #186

G'day all,

New thread, end of yet another working week

The housekeeping staff where I stay must think I am totally weird The standard is still pretty average.
The apartment we are in now has a huge balcony which is great but.....the floors above tend to think it is just a gigantic ashtray Especially after the weekend our balcony is disgusting. I asked for a broom and received a dustpan and small handbrush. Because housekeeping is so bad, it was agreed they would come in once a week and do a thorough job.
Yesterday I sent an email (after the 'thorough' clean) for the kitchen floor to be swept and washed, the cooktops to be cleaned and the balcony to be swept and cigarette buts to be disposed of. I also again asked for a broom and said I was hppy to sweep the balcony myself after the weekend. When I came home last night, most of my requests were attended to and I got yet another dustpan and handbroom
I do not believe that they placed another dustpan etc right next to the one that was already there, they must think we are a bit kinky
So this morning I will try and find some clipart for a broom with a long handle, which is what I would like and email it.
Talking about having to draw pictures, honestly at times I feel I might as well give up.
The following was emailed to me this morning, the question is are you investing your money wisely??????

If you had bought $1000.00 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would
> now be worth $49.00.
>
> With Enron, you would have $16.50 of the original $1,000.00.
>
> With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.
>
> If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock)
> one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the 10 cent
> deposit, you would have $214.00.
>
> Based on the above, the current investment advice is to drink heavily and
> recycle.

Have a great weekend all, best go and find a picture of a broom!!!!!

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #2  

Maria,
I had a little money in a part of our stock market But last week removed it. I was scard that the little money would turn into no money. I should have done it after Sept 11 because I took a big hit . It grew a little not much so decided to take it out

Your housekeeping staff must be really really bad. I know one year when we had taken vacation in Florida. We stayed at one of those extended stay places . They only did a thorough cleaning once a week and refreshed the rooms one other time during the week. I swear they never cleaned the kitchen floor. It was filthy. I finally got down on my hands a knees with a rag and showed them how it should have been cleaned. Needless to say we haven't been back and we did some loud complaining , management referred us to corporate leval an we never heard back.

Speaking of hosekeeping i ve got lots to do . I'll see you later.
Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 07-26-2002 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #3  

Maria what a hassle over getting a broom. I would think that would be a simple thing to request. And yucky old cigarette ashes on your balcony. That is sort of careless on the people above you. You know I have always wondered about hospitals. They come in and clean {?} your room and the water always looks dirty, at least to me it does. Sort of makes you wonder about all the staph infections lately. We have 2 friends that have been having a time with staph after having surgery. Had the best salad at Panera Bread Co yesterday. It had strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges and walnuts. Have to go do some running. Errands not real running. lol
Old 07-26-2002, 09:39 AM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Just a quick note. I am wondering if any of you are going through the doldrums of summer. After our bad scare with the cancer test at the first of the week, we went out to celebrate and didn't know what to do. We ate at Chili's and saw a really bad movie, "Reign of Fire." It is too hot to work out in the yard and everything on tv is reruns. So, this weekend we will go to OKC to a mall, eat out and see a movie, NOT "AUSTIN POWERS". I just don't remember being so bored before in July.
Glenda
Old 07-26-2002, 08:33 PM   #5  

Glenda this is a hot summer and slow. We usually go somewhere and have no plans. A friend has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He is a heavy smoker and a girl on another thread that I belong to - her little one has just been diagnosed with some kind of cancer. It is just depressing. My dh was sick with something yesterday-some 24 hour thing. My son and dil are running out of health insurance money for their fertility treatments. They have a cap on it. I know I sound like a country song.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:52 PM   #6  
Member Florida Chick

Is this what they call the 'dog days of summer'? Glenda- I hear the new movie with Tom Hanks and Paul Newman is very good. We hardly ever do movies.

We have had a thunder storm every day this week. I just keep shutting down the power on the computer Sure don't want to get it zapped.

Tomorrow is weigh-in for me. The first since we were away. Now will come the moment of truth. Hope I can face it. See you tomorrow. Ann
Old 07-28-2002, 06:49 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Ann a thunderstorm everyday, wow! I enjoy a bit of a storm but every day....... I hope your weigh in went allright.

Sorry to hear of your rather depressing news Peggy You made me smile when you said 'I know I sound like a country song'! Your health is certainly your most valued asset.
Last night I watched a 'documentary' on Jerry Springer (I know I was kinda desperate ) I didn't realise he was the mayor of your city at one stage and was a newsreader on your local TV. Ah... the drivel that I pick up at times

Now Slavika what is happening to the Canadians at the Commonwealth Games? At the moment we are 10 medals ahead of you! Because of the time difference all the events are on during 'our' night I am looking forward to the swimming and the netball. We saw ds new/old girlfriend in the opening ceremony and saw a little of one of the netball matches. The main threat to a gold medal in the netball is New Zealand and Jamaica. I am surprised netball is not played that much in Canada.

Off to the chiro again this morning. I am booked in for 2 treatments a week until the end of September. It seems a little over the top but this guy is excellent and I am finding my back is improving heaps. Usually about now I feel I have had enough but this time I thought I would follow the chiro's advise and continue on with the treatments.
I am doing a lot of stretching excercises and can now really understand the benefit of Yoga. Do any of you do Yoga?

Have a great day/night all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 07-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #8  

Default Yes Maria it is true

that Jerry Springer was once the mayor here. He wasn't a bad newscaster. He always had a commentary at the end which was interesting. He wasn't too bright when he paid a prostitute with a check and got caught. Felt sorry for the wife. He could be on his own show. Charles Manson lived here for a while too when he was young. Such claims to fame. On the other hand Andy Williams and Doris Day lived here. The Clooney family grew up just across the river. George's dad has a morning radio show. He was a newsman here too. I used to do yoga. I loved it and don't know why I stopped. Oh yes I do, my teacher died. I was thinking of getting a video but I don't think that would be quite the same. Ann hope your weigh in went well. Wish we would have some of that rain. I watched the Trading Spaces marathon over the weekend. Have any of you ever seen it? It's on the Learning Channel. It's where two sets of friends trade rooms and decorate with a designer. Oh the colors they use! And the stuff they do. It is entertainment and escapism. Well I have an exciting book waiting for me, at least I hope it is.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:44 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down Some more rain

Hi: I am happy to say that my weigh-in was not as dreadful as I thought. I am up only 1.6 from when we left for our trip. So now to get that off as well as the rest of my over goal weight.

How about the miracle of the rescue of the trapped miners in Pa.?
Just think after all that time and they were all in quite good health. who says there aren't miracles today?

Maria: I find those stretching exercises to be good for the back. I have also found that going to my massage therapist has helped me a lot. I have joined a pool exercise group now and there are a lot of stretching exercises in the routine. I sure know I couldn't do any of the stuff on dry land. I'l fall right over.

After we moved here we found out that we live in the lightning capital of the world. How about that? What a distinction.!!!!
but that is no worse than Jerry Springer.

Karen: We talked about exercise yesterday, but had a bit of fun, when our leader was asking about calorie burning exercises and one gal spoke up and said sex. That got a good laugh.

Hi Lily, Glenda, Peggy,Slavika, Trudy Hope you have had a good week-end, and hope I haven't forgotten anyone. Ann
Old 07-28-2002, 07:59 PM   #10  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Cant believe they cant give you a decent broom. Hope they get it with a picture Jerry Springer was a Mayor?????

Peggy: That salad sounds yummy. Heard Pandera's is good. But we dont have one here. Sorry to hear about your friend. Thats so sad. Charles Manson. Oh man he scares me. I didnt know Jerry was a mayor before.

Ann: Good for you! Thats not bad at all for a vacation! One person brought that up in one of the mmetings I did last week. Was pretty funny.

Glenda: No I dont get the summer doldrums. I love summer. Hate to see it go away. Spring and Summer are my favorite times. We dont go out to much to movies. We always wait for them to come out on Video. Don tblame you for not wanting to see Austin powers. Dh likes them but I leave the room.

Have a great night!
Old 07-29-2002, 10:22 AM   #11  
Fun Blonde

Just had to let you all know of a wonderful find Leon and I made over the weekend. Told you we were bored and hot, so we went to Oklahoma City on Saturday and ate steak out (rarely do that) and went to a movie that wasn't playing in our town. It was "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." It was the funniest, cleanest, bestest movie I have seen in years and no one has heard of it except by word of mouth. The theater was full and we just belly-laughed. Worth seeing BEFORE the video comes out. Just so real and FUNNY!
Glenda
Old 07-29-2002, 07:01 PM   #12  

G'day all,

Ann What a miracle that was the miners having been rescued with no life lost, nothing short of amazing Your weigh in was pretty good, well done!

Not feeling the best this morning, my back and knee are pretty bad after my chiro appointment yesterday. Everything was going along quite well until yesterdays appointment. Perhaps it has to get worse before it gets better

Never heard of the movie Glenda but I share your sentiments, isn't it nice to see just a fun movie without the violence, bad language etc.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 07-29-2002, 09:49 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Ann gosh you did very well at your weigh in. Here I am still carrying around the weight I gained when I went away last February.
Glenda I don't go to many movies, but I will have to look and see if that one is playing anywhere in our city. I have to admit I never heard of it. Glad you had a fun day with your DH. Maria sorry that you are feeling sore. I have never had anything done by a chiropractor. My son goes sometimes and the doctor works on his neck. It seems he might feel good for awhile and then he has to go again. We spent the weekend at the lake and had a nice time. Today I did laundry and cleaned up the house and we will leave in the morning for our little "mini" holiday with my brother and his wife. We get back on Thursday and on Friday night we are going to see a musical production that is performed outside (so I hope the weather is nice). I think on Saturday we will head out to the lake again, as it is another long weekend for us. Boy the summer is just speeding by. Soon it will be fall and the children will be back in school. Talk to you all later.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:06 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Lily: I'm with you. I like spring and summer. Fall is beautiful up north, but no matter where I am it always seems like winter gives me the blahs. I like lots of sunshine and daylight. I could never live above the arctic circle where they have 3 months of darkness. Hi everyone. See you later. Ann
Old 07-30-2002, 08:54 PM   #15  

G'day all,

Well not much news but I must tell you about the most spectacular site out of our office window.....3 whales are frolicking in the harbour, just out the front of the Sydney Opera House!!!!
A large crowd is watching from the Opera House and a large number of boats are around the area where the whales are.
We can see their tails popping up every now and again.
I'll wander down to the Opera House at lunch time and see if I can get a closer look.

I hope you are all having a great day
Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread