Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 11:43 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #149

G'day all,

Boy what a long thread the last one!.

Slavika that is something I would do!!!! Glad you all still enjoyed the movie. I don't think there is anything like a 'bad' seat in the movie theatre these days.

Talking about all the tanning. We are also very aware of the threat of skin cancer and of course literally looking like a tanned hide, is not appealing.
School children MUST wear hats at play time and the 'Slip, Slop, Slap' campaign is now very common each summer (SLIP on a shirt, SLOP on some sunscreen and SLAP on a hat)
I do remember though when I was a teenager going to the beach and being reminded every 1/2 hour by the disc jockey on the radio 'to turn'. The slogan was 'time to turn so you don't burn'! We used to use olive oil, baby oil and anything else but DEFINETLY no blockout sunscreen cream.
How times have changed and how wise we have become.
I still think it looks nice a shade darker than lily white. What do you use Glenda?

How nice of your d-i-l Glenda, I bet it made you cry a bit. I am dreading the wedding, I know I will probably be a blubbering mess. DD showed me the wedding vows they have written themselves and that was enough to get me going!

All this talk of decorations makes me feel a bit glum! I have bought a small christmas table cloth so it is a little bit festive. We were going to go out for lunch but we have decided to buy some seafood, (prawns, crayfish etc.) and have a bit of a feast sitting on our balcony with some champagne. Not quite the same this year.

Peggy ST What a disaster to come home to! Makes me pleased that I have my son living in my home eventhough he has now lived longer in my new home than I have.

Ann recipe sounds nice, something for me to try in the future.

Hope you all have a great day
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-03-2001, 11:57 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Looks right to me Ann. I didnt have Non Fat Yogurt in my Master cook but it still came close so I would say yours is correct.

Apple Pear Cranberry Crumble

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 Each Bartlett pear
2 Each Golden Delicious apple
1 1/2 cups cranberries -- fresh or forzen
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup Light Brown sugar
1/4 Cup Light Brown sugar
8 Tablespoons all-purpose flour -- divided
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Apple Juice
9 Tablespoons frozen Yogurt

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per serving: 163 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (16% calories from
fat); 2g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 1mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium 3 fiber
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit;
1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates 3 Points

Maria: I used to lay out in the sun in my younger years. I never could stay out very long. Guess thats a good thing! I never did get really tan, except for when I wasnt trying. Im a real blubber at all weddings. Having a child go though it I can image it is very hard.

PeggyST: Way to go on the loss! Sounds like you are in alot of turmoil right now with the house. Hopefully it will get back to normal soon.

Glenda: Your DIL sounds wonderful. Very sweet of her. Shes a keeper!

Oops Forgot! New features! You can make the board look the way you like best. Check out Suzannes thread on changing it:
http://64.119.161.199/forum/announce...p?s=&forumid=3

Boy I hope you that check the email option dont get all the emails when I edit. I do that alot.

Night all!

Last edited by LilyG; 12-04-2001 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:53 PM   #3  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I went to WW today, and managed to come down .6#.
That was good, and I was content with it.
I had the gals over for tea later, and we had a nice chat, like we usually do. Always so much to talk about. One of the gals bought a new "christmas" outfit and wanted our opinion on it. She looked lovely in it.
Maria I actually have never tried the self-tanning products. It seems I'm in the sun for a short time and I tan very quickly. In the "old" days, I never wore any protection at all, I don't even know if they made any. I now wear skin moisturizer on my face with sun screen in it, summer and winter. In Hawaii, and at the lake I use "Ombrelle #15" sunscreen protection and still get pretty dark. I think it's my Ukrainian blood. LOL I remember one year when DH and and I went to Mexico with my brother and his wife. Well, my brother bought some tanning stuff from a street peddler.....and I swear it was made of "chicken fat". When he took it back to their air-conditioned room it even solidified in the bottle like fat does in the fridge. His wife made him throw it out.
Glenda Ahhh, your dil sounds like a sweetheart. I'm fortunate too, my dil is a real honey, and I love her very much.
PeggyST First, congrats on the 1.75#loss.........that is really great. That sounds like a good idea, putting the caramel sauce on top of the apples in a apple pie. What a wonderful combination. It's too bad about your house, but where are you and your DH going to go on holidays? You're right, there's not much point in trying to decorate when you got all that going on in the house.
Ann the recipe you posted sounds just great. I printed it, and will try it.
Lily do you know how to contact
Peggy ? Geez, I hope she is ok. I'm thinking it's her computer that is down, but it's been awhile.
Trudy thank you for bringing me the magazine with story about the "implants", and thank you also for the little cookbook. The recipe for the Satay Dipping Platter" looks good.
Goodnight all.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:07 PM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Angry

Slavika Good for you losing! You will make your christmas Challenge.
I was thinking the same thing about Peggy. I will go email her. I will send her email addy to you
to. Im worried about her, it has been a while.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:51 PM   #5  

Default Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does any one know the points for Lefsa? Not even sure how to spell it.
Karen
Old 12-04-2001, 11:00 PM   #6  
Net browser

Karen

Whatever is LEFSA ??

Ok......now I sort of know what it is. I searched for it on the computer and it's a Norwegian "dish". The web page said it is made of 6 cups of mashed potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 cream
1 cup of flour.

The recipe said to roll balls the size of walnuts. Then I think you flatten them and grill them in a "lefsa grill" if you have one. I suppose you could work out the count for the "WHOLE" recipe and then depending on how many of these "flattened balls" you made from the recipe you could work it out. It didn't say how many this recipe made.
Does this help at all Karen ???

KAREN GO DOWN TO MY NEXT POST. ............Slavika

Last edited by slavika; 12-04-2001 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:09 PM   #7  
Life Time 2001

Well No. All I came up with in a search is this:
http://www.mrsolsonslefse.com/

Some kind of Bread I assume? Looked in my Nutr program and it wasnt there either.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:26 PM   #8  
Net browser

Default ....I found it Karen

Karen

I found nutritional info on the Norwegian Potato Lefsa
It is served during the holidays.
There's a recipe for it at http://www.holidayrecipe.com/az/Norw...otatoLefsa.asp

This recipe calls for 18 baking potatoes (8 cups mashed potatoes)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
4 cups of flour
1 tbsp sugar.
This makes 8 servings:
Calories per serving is 603
Fat is 18g

Yikes, I hope it's good. LOL
Old 12-04-2001, 11:46 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Just received a call from dh he is coming home early from Sydney.
Last Monday night he filled in for dd mixed netball team and came back having torn his achillis tendon
I mean really, he is 55, albeit a fit 55 but obviously a bit too old to be running around a netball court with people half his age
He left for Sydney yesterday but is in a lot of pain he says and is coming back early and will work from the apartment with his leg up and getting some physiotherapy.
Nice having him back but perhaps not as an invalid

It is officially the coldest start to summer for 120 years . Weather is definetly peculiar, storms and very hot in Sydney, storms but not so hot here, all very strange.

I walked for 2 hours this morning. it felt a good achievement.

Lily I am glad you are e-mailing Peggy , I do hope all is well.

Slavika Good for you on the loss. I don't know about the 'Lefsa' an awful lot of points for fancy mashed potatoes

See ya tomorrow all
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-05-2001, 12:16 AM   #10  

Default Thank you

Slavika. needed to have something to give to members at tomorrows meeting. 603 cal. 18 fat that must work out to be about 12-14 points.
Don't know if it is good never tried it. Maybe that is a good thing.
Karen
Old 12-05-2001, 07:24 AM   #11  

Hi, Sorry I haven't been around for a little while. I have been extremely busy getting craft orders filled. Somebody always wants something at the last minute. I got the 7 snowfolk that the lady ordered last week delivered yesterday. I still have a 21/2 foot tall turkey to make for someone but she will wait till Jan. I have a December job helping my nieces at their mail room business. They do a lot of holiday UPS shipping . I am an "official" packer. Some people just bring in their loose items to send and we have to pack them up. Some are very fragile and have to be packed very carefully. Every year a lady brings in a gingerbread house and sends it. It is fun because it only lasts for 3 weeks. I am going out of town this weekend with 20 women. We go to Indiana to "Little Nashville". We rent 2 A frames and there are 10 in each with one bathroom in each one. We do a lot of shopping on the way there at an outlet mall and spend Saturday in town shopping and stuff. It is a lot of fun. My colonoscopy went well - I think it was all the demerol and tranquilizers that they give you. The hardest part was the night before and they took about 30 minutes finding a vein for the IV. I was quite bruised. They only found a little bit of diverticuli sacs. I have only had time to get on the computer and check my e-mail. I think I have the slowest 'puter around. I am just getting around to getting my decorations up. We have to dog sit my son's largest dog next week when they go to Lily land of California. Have to go get ready for work - the worst part is the commute. It is in Kentucky. I am going back to read what has been happening. See you all later, thanks for the concern. Peggy
Old 12-05-2001, 07:39 AM   #12  

I just took a quick read at the posts. PeggyST I would love to send you some of this weather we have been having. Today it is breaking a record. 70 degrees F. No coats today. It is so wierd to be having this. I still have geraniums blooming amid the decorations. Maria I use fake tan in the summer. I used to go out and fry myself when I was young. We used baby oil and some red medicine stuff. Not anymore. Later.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:27 AM   #13  
Conquering with SBD

Hi everyone. Have been reading the posts on the recipes and they look so good. I will need to try some of them.

My family makes lefsa quite often (that's my Norwegian heritage). We just fry the small potatoes like hamburger patties. For a treat, you can also put a small piece of cheese in the middle. That's good, too. Make sure it is FF cheese, though.

Another way to make mashed potatoes a bit more fancy is to add cream cheese. If you can find ff cream cheese, or use light cream cheese, it doesn't add too much in the way of calories. One thing that I often do when I am having company is to make my mashed potatoes the day before, add 1 or 2 eggs, cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Place in a casserole dish that is sprayed with Pam, sprinkle with that red stuff (I have this memory slip at the moment) then in the fridge overnight. Reheat uncovered in the oven the following day. You get a really nice brown crust on the top. Also, if you try to make the top really fluffy looking when you put the potatoes in the casserole, the browning effect is really nice looking. This makes getting everything on the table a little easier when you have company.

Good to hear that everyone is doing well with their weight loss. I am feeling bloated and yucky the last couple of days, but it is that time of month, so things should be back to normal by the end of the week.

We are planning to visit our daughter and grandchildren over Christmas. Our daughter and son-in-law are Salvation Army Officers in Saskatchewan, so it is difficult for them to get away at Christmas. Our youngest son moved to Manitoba last September (he waited until hubby and I were away, packed up his stuff and moved - he forgot one item, his dog). We will be delivering "the dog" to him at Christmas. LOL. I will miss the little monster, but I think he has been looking for our son since September. He runs away frequently and we can't seem to keep him home.

Hubby also found out yesterday that he is going back to the Middle East in January. He needs to be there by January 6, so will be leaving here on January 2. We shut down for Christmas holidays on Dec. 21 and don't return until Jan. 2, so we will need to have everything in place for his trip before Dec. 21. That just puts even more pressure on us before Christmas. Fortunately, I have all the Christmas shopping done, the baking is just about complete, it's just the kitchen reno needs a BIG push now. I don't want to be in that mess while he is away.

Peggy - Please, please, send the weather. It is soooo cold here. I am really feeling it this year more than ever. I think it is because I have lost so much weight this year and can't manage the cold the same way. I remember life-gaurding when I was a teen. We used to mix baby oil and iodine to get a good tan. Were we stupid, or what? I'm glad to hear that your colonoscopy went well. Seems with the craft orders that you are just about back to normal. Hope the tests turn out well. Take care of yourself.

Must go now. Boss thinks I should be getting some work done. Sheesh, men!

Luv,
Old 12-05-2001, 12:19 PM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Default Peggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slavika: Good slething!(? Cant spell) All I came up with was that one link in my search. Yikes is right!

Maria: Sorry to hear about your DH. But at least he is coming home

Peggy: Thanks for the email and I glad all is well! Good to see you! Sounds like you have been really busy! Your weekend trip sounds like alot of fun!

PeggyST: Oh poor puppy. Bet he will be happy to get back with your son. Sounds like he really misses him if he runs away so much. Dont you just hate it when Bosses think you should be working. I mean where are there prioities???

Later!
Old 12-05-2001, 05:22 PM   #15  

Peggy ST that is it. Iodine! For some reason I was thinking we mixed it with something red. Thanks.
Closed Thread