Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 08:52 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #142

Another thread, another day and more words of wisdom from the contributors to this forum

It is Saturday morning, weather is overcast, dh is at the gym and this afternoon we will go to a 4x4 wheel drive show (dh's choice) and then out to dinner before returning home.

I was a bit annoyed last night, I had 'tarted' myself up, hair done, make-up on and my new outfit on and dh did not notice until it was pointed out, men
Don't know why I bother. I thought I looked nice though

On a serious note, the asylum seeker crisis is getting worse with 350 refugees drowning on the way to Australia from Indonesia in an unseaworthy boat. A large article in the paper this morning relating the plight of these people is enough to make you weep.
I don't know what the answer is but there has to be a better solution than having desperate people risking their lives trying to get to freedom and starting a better life.

Tomorrow I am going to dh's work to photocopy a Photoshop book. DD got it from the library and it is just the best book but I cannot buy it so I will have to get around it this way.
Next week sometime, I am supposed to be getting a cousin and her husband coming to stay who are in Australia on holidays.
Should be fun.

Hope everyone is well, haven't heard from Trudy for a while

Have a great weekend all
Cheers
Maria
Old 10-26-2001, 09:53 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Talking Wisdom?????

Couldn't resist that heading. We really are wise about many things.

Maria: I agree with you about men. They are just from Mars. They Think differently about so many things, but basically I do have to say,"Vive la Difference"!

I'm looking for some words of wisdom from all you gals who have dealt with foot problems. Has anyone dealt with a heel spur. I find I have one, and even with a thick foam pad in the shoe, it does bother. I can't take anti-inflamatory medicine, so don't know exactly what the next step will be. The Dr. basically said live with it for a while and see if it goes away.

Tomorrow will be weigh-in and I'm afraid that it is not going to be good once again. I know I have just sort of let go, while we were doing the hospital thing. It doesn't take long to add a pound. I have to watch the temptations

Happy to report that my dh is doing well. Took a shower this a.m. and felt better for that. But those guys from Mars do tend to be impatient.

Have a great weekend, all. Ann
Old 10-26-2001, 11:46 PM   #3  
Net browser

Default ........you bet we are a smart bunch

Hi Everybody Speaking of DH's....any of you gals go out to dinner with your "loved one" and friends, and everybody at the table orders their salad, and your "beloved" turns to you and asks, "what kind of salad dressing do I like"? LOL The other one I like, is when DH dresses "casual" for the office, and puts on a shirt and pants, and asks me, "do these go together"? I nicely tell him, "only if the entire office is colour blind". So Maria I am not surprised that your DH didn't noticed you were all "dollied up", men simply do not notice things the way women do. If I should get all dressed up and DH doesn't notice and I BRING it to his attention, he's quick on his feet by saying something like, "you always look nice". hee hee Somebody mailed me this funny list of things you should NEVER ask a man. I remember one of them was.....a man only knows 8 colours.......and peach is a fruit NOT A COLOUR. I think another was don't ask him which pair of shoes goes better with your new outfit. He has a hard time with that one, because HE ONLY has two pairs of shoes, one pair is brown, the other black. Oh well, we love them with all our hearts, and do our best to take care of them.
Speaking of these "much loved husbands", Ann I'm happy your's is doing well.

My grandson turns 8 yrs old on Monday. Tonight he was allowed to have 4 boys over to his house for a "sleep-over". Son and daughter in-law were taking the children bowling first, then renting a couple of movies. The Princess was spending the night at a little girl's house, so everybody was very excited. DH got tickets for the hockey game and is taking our grandson tomorrow night and I will spend time with our granddaughter. Finally on Sunday it will be his birthday party where all the family will be there. He's a lucky little boy.

Lily I'm telling you, you need eyes at the back of head when you're driving these days. I'm happy you were so aware of what was going on around you. GOOD!!

Oh by the way, our snow melted, it's still cold but once again we can see the grass.
Night all.
Old 10-27-2001, 05:28 PM   #4  
Super Surfer

Default still alive and kicking..

I am still around, but have been quite busy. My DH's Sis and her DH are leaving on Monday so we are all trying to cram in as much family time as we can. They have been here since May at their farm. They live in Vancouver and are looking forward to getting home to their family. Although they lived most of their life here, they have become accustomed to the BC climate and are finding it a bit cool here.
I enjoy reading all the posts. Looks like you are all doing good, hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Bye bye
Old 10-27-2001, 07:50 PM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Maria: I know the feeling well about men. My DH never notices. I came home last week with a new hairdo and he didnt say a word for a couple days. ALAS.......

Ann: Im so glad to hear your DH is doing so well! Yes those Mars men are an impaient bunch arent they?

Slavika: Loved the comment on the color blind. Mine is the same way. He can come up with some pretty unusal things. I have had to make him change a few times. Some times he will other times he wont. Glad the snow melted!

Trudy: Good to see you! Enjoy the time with your family while you can!

Well I got my yard already for the winter today. Spent most the day outside. I think its going to be coming pretty fast. The temp has dropped down this week and its suppose to rain tomorrow. I hate winter!
My hubby is going out tonight to play poker. Dont know where this is coming from as he has never played it before. I had to teach him last night. He should have fun tho. So Im going to watch a sappy movie and relax!

Later!
Old 10-27-2001, 09:46 PM   #6  
Member Florida Chick

Smile Yum!

Sad to report that my weigh-in wasn't good today. But I can't quit. I've come too far.

Trudy-Slavika: want to report that today I tried both your recipes for the cheese cakes and the cheery cherry pastry. Both are very good. Fed them to my dh for dinner tonight, and he said they were good, but they didn't beat chocolate cake. I had to make a slight substitute, since when I measured the cottage cheese I was a bit short so I filled in with vanilla lowfat yogurt. Then I used chocolate graham crackers instead of the wafers, but can't see that it could have made much difference. I think they are great. Didn't have any almond extract, so had to make by cheery cherry goodies without. I will say my triangles weren't very good, so when I tried to seal them I got some wierd shapes. but they are good. Got a little brown on the bottom, cause jsut about the time I needed to take them out of the oven, the doorbell rang, and then the telephone and by the time I got to the oven you know what happened. But they are still good, brown bottoms and all.

Lily: We are starting our winter season a bit today too. The temp. was down to 59 this a.m. I realize that is not much for you northerners, but it seems chilly to us now.

My dh is doing fine. The visiting nurse was here today and gave him the thumbs up. He can hardly wait to go to the Dr. on Monday.

We played Wheel of Fortune, and monopoly, of sorts, at the WW meeting today. Interesting comments. I'm going to share your two recipes with the group next week, if you don't mind.

Hi to all the rest of you Feisty gals. Ann

P.S. Trudy I made the cheesecakes in some cute little tart pans I bought when we were in Canada this summer. They are so similar to muffin cups, that I thought they should work okay.

Nite Nite.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:38 PM   #7  
Net browser

Default ....nice day today

Hi Everybody
DH and I went to our grandson's "family birthday party" this afternoon. He got more "Harry Potter" stuff then Harry Potter ever had. LOL One of the gifts we got him, was the Harry Potter Lab which is apparently the "big" gift this year that all the children want. There was an article in the paper saying that some of stores have sold out of it already. The "Harry Potter Movie" comes out, I think on November 16th. I tried not to nibble on too many of the goodies and only had a very small taste of the birthday cake.
I will be going to WW on Tuesday and know that I am up in my weight, but I am trying hard to stay on track now. I think I am about 7# over goal, so I better get it off now. Ann I said I was going to call and find out how many points there are in one of those Pillsbury Crescent rolls, but I forgot and Trudy did it. Each crescent roll is 2 points with the addition of the 3 cherries from the Lite Cherry Pie filling, I don't think they would count for more then 3 points for one. It was easier for me to make nice little rectangles out of each roll because I saw a picture of them next to the recipe. Say this is the shape of the crescent roll.
l\..........ok, now put the 3 cherries sort of in the middle of that wide part at the bottom of the crescent. Then take the TOP POINT of the staight part (the one on the left of your screen) and bring it straight down to the bottom of the straight line and seal along the left edge. Then take the point on the BOTTOM of the wide part on the right side of crescent and fold it over to "MEET" the left side. The cherries are NOT entirely covered up. When I showed the gals at tea time how to "fold" the crescents into a rectangle I used a piece of paper that I had cut into a triangle and then folded it into a rectangle. It is much easier if you can "see" what it suppose to look like when it is finished. Did I help at all? This morning when I made some to take to the birthday party I drizzled some icing sugar mixed with a bit of milk and almond flavouring over them. They looked good.
Lily I think the only way my DH would notice if I had a "new" hair do would be if I shaved it right off. LOL
Hope all you gals are well and that you had a nice weekend.
Night.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:11 AM   #8  

G'day all,

Boy, did we all marry clones???? I wonder who got the original Yeh, yeh I know, probably Eve.

I wore my new top again on Sunday and dh said 'is that new?', I did tell him that it was the very top he did not notice on Fridaynight . Then he says, 'I just give up, I just cannot win'!!!! It is a sad state of affairs.

I had a great weekend. We went to a 4x4 wheel drive show which I wasn't too keen on but it was good. So many new gadgets on the market. Both dh and I just love gadgets.
Well we found another, the Dream-Pot (http://www.dreampot.com.au). We watched the demo and were very impressed but did walk away. After a coffee and a discussion that this will be a useful gadget we went back and bought it. I am not into cooking that much mainly because I do not live at home. The apartments we stay in, you never know what sort of utensils they supply and I try and make do with some basic ingredients. Anyway I have made some chicken and corn soup in the Dream-Pot which was yummy and at the moment I am making some yoghurt.
DH bought a collapsible shovel , another very useful little item for when we go 4x4 wheel driving out bush.

We have also made a decision to help our dd and fiancee and have agreed to finance a house for them. They pay very high rent and both being students, cannot safe for a deposit to buy a house. I am pleased about it. Our son is living rent free in our house in Adelaide and renting out his own which helps them and this will help our daughter.

Pleased to see Trudy is alive and well! Hope you are enjoying your family time.

Slavika Good luck with staying on track. I have been at goal and allowed it all to creep back on again . It seems so much harder this time around to get back to goal. I know these are all excuses but there always seems to be something on, like at the end of this week more visitors. At least I am aware and try harder than ever to choose the right foods when we are out.

Ann Good to hear your dh is recovering well.

Tomorrow off to get some more physio on the scar tissue on my feet. I am walking quite well but I am still unable to go for a really 'good' walk. I am just impatient

I have finally finished my last cross stitch project. I came here with two half finished ones. I now have to find somewhere to get them framed and I will take a photo and show them off to you

Hope everyone is well
See ya tomorrow
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 10-29-2001 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:27 AM   #9  

Hi, for some reason I am so sleepy this weekend. It was the time change and we got an extra hour Sat. I don't know why this bothers me. I personally wish they would do away with daylight savings time. I am afraid to make all these goodies that you all are making. I know that I would like them just too much. But I will save the recipes for sometime when I have to take something somewhere. I have lost 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I credit it to the Olympic Challenge that I did on e-diets. Maria I have to check out this dream pot. Sounds like something my dh would like. He made 2 different kinds of soup over the weekend. Slavika you are lucky to get the "gift" of the year for you gs. I always feel for the parents who can't get whatever for their kids for Christmas because there aren't any left. You did a good job in telling how to roll the crescent roll. ARe you the one who said how good Milton bread was. I bought a loaf at Sam's and it is good. Ann it always seems like someone calls or something when you are baking. That happens to me a lot, especially with cookies. I have a lot of things with dark bottoms. How is your dh doing? Hi Lily and Trudy, See you all later,
Old 10-29-2001, 08:57 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Angry Good News!

A good visit to the Dr. today. My dh is much more comfortable. He was fearful that he might have to go back if things didn't work right, but am happy to report "the river is flowing"

Peggy: I'm with you. I always am off for two or three days when we change the time. I'd just say leave it one way or the other. I believe that in Arizona they do not go to Daylight savings, and I think they get along just fine.

Slavika: next time I try the goodies, I'll remember your folding directions. Thanks. They were good, even if the bottoms were a bit brown. I figured 3 points. I used the reduced fat type. Did you see all the tarts, etc. in the Cooking light Magazine?

Maria: You are right. Men are men. I will say my dh does notice a new hair do, or cut. and is not at all shy about saying if he doesn't like it. I have tried one thing, when I buy something new, I just put it on and model it when I get home. Usually that will get a comment or two. Sometimes good and sometimes I wish I hadn't modeled.
I know my dh is feeling better. He took our dog our for her evening walk.

Does anyone use Windows Me on your computer? I'm looking for a tip or two. I have a book, but it doesn't tell me what I want to know about cutting and pasting images.
A friend or ours just had a virus computer crash. I hope my anti-virus scan works.

Hi everyone. Glenda how is the toe?

Has anyone had any experience with a heel spur? I'm battling one now, and the Dr. says to wait and see if it goes away.

Have a great day tomorrow. Ann
Old 10-29-2001, 11:41 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Ann last night I was lying in bed and I remembered you asked if anyone had any experience with a heel spur. I haven't had any experience with them, a friend had and she had some quartazone (spelling) injections and that did seem to help. With my foot problems, it has shown up in an xray that I do have the start of a heel spur but it doesn't bother me.
I merely wanted to let you know that I hadn't forgotten about your question . Good to hear all is well with your dh.

I am also adjusting to daylight saving but we lost an hour here. . I cannot see why we cannot permanently change the clocks. I would much rather have more light in the early evening.

I had a visit to the physio and all is well. Whilst I was out I saw another cross stitch that I rather liked. Just as I had promised myself I would not do any more counted cross stitch projects
At least with this one the linen is not as fine as the others I have done, should be a little easier on the old eyes

It has been very miserable weather but it will clear up for the weekend. I expect my visitors Thursday or Friday.

Hi to everyone
See ya tomorrow
Cheers
Maria
Old 10-30-2001, 07:19 AM   #12  

Hi, Ann I am glad to hear that your dh is doing well. Life is so much better when men are feeling good. They usually don't do the sick thing well. I have sore heels. I don't know if they are heel spurs or not. It hurts to walk when I get up in the morning. I was told to stand on a step and stretch the heels down couple of times a day. Parts of Indiana do not do daylight savings time. It is always confusing when you are going someplace there. Some are on slow time and some are on fast time. Some people live in one area and work in another. I would be so confused it I did that. Maria I admire anyone who can do cross stitch. I love it but I have tried it and made a real mess out of it. Hope that your weather clears up and you enjoy your company. Off to snowman land,
Old 10-30-2001, 10:31 AM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

Talking A Florida sunny day!!

Peggy: Thanks for the tip. I'll try it, and let you know what happens. I bought some little magnets that are centered in an adhesive patch, and have placed them on the sore spot too. I want to avoid the cortisone shots if I can. They tell me that is not the best for your bones, and I want to keep what I have. That will be a last resort. Are you making a cousin for Jerome?

Maria: Glad you had a good report. My dh doesn't have to see the Dr. now until Jan. And you both are right, that men don't do sick very well. But my dh doesn't act the helpless one, he is too darned independant and doesn't want help, even when he needs it. Hope you have a great time with your company.

Hi everyone; Talk to you later. I'm off to get a great massage. That has been a gift that I really appreciate. Ann
Old 10-30-2001, 01:07 PM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Ann: I had a heel Spur once along time ago. I ended up going to a Foot Dr. as the regular couldnt help. He gave me this thing that fit in my shoe. It was plastic and fit my foot and the shoe. Worked real well. Had to wear for about a month. But then it got better.

Later! Got to go to work!
Old 10-30-2001, 02:48 PM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Ann,

My brother has been battling a heel spur for about a year now. He said that the doctor thinks that eventually it will just dissolve, but he has not been able to walk like he used to. He did get some orthotics (a customized insole type of thing) and it has helped. There is a treatment with a fancy machine in which they put your heel into it and a beam breaks up the heel spur immediately, but it cost, I believe, $7,000 and his insurance doesn't pay. We have one machine in OK that does this. You could find out if there are any in Floriday.

I have 1 1/2 weeks more in this crazy little shoe with a wire hanging out of my 4th toe. And I am a little tired of it. I have set a time as the first Saturday after I get this wire out to become a real live card-carrying WW. And an exerciser.

Well, I do believe that men are cousins under the skin. They just are wired a bit differently than we are, aren't they?

Slavika - you'd better believe it that your little gs is a lucky little boy. I am looking at my 4 month gs's picture. He is in his devil's costume with horns and all with a big goofy smile and is the cutest little grand devil I ever did see! He is a lucky little boy too--everybody is crazy about him!

Lily - I love your avatar. If I could, I would just live in red, white and blue stripes. Can you believe how patriotic we have become.
Glenda
Closed Thread