Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Quickie healthy balanced meals?

Like yesterday I had spinach leaves with 2 tbsp low fat dressing and one serving of wild salmon from a pouch. Would that be a balanced meal?
And if so what otehr ways can you VERY simply mix it up? Like broccoli, grilled chicken and 1 serving brown rice? AM I getting the hang of this yet?
Oh and are all 6 meals supposed to have protein carbs fat? Thanks
I think I am starting to get better at this stuff. I jsut have to gatehr as much info as possible so I feel confident in what I am doing! Thanks
Amy
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

For me, a balanced meal would be 1/2 plate of vegetables, 1/4 plate of healthy carbohydrates, 1/4 plate of lean protein source.

Examples:
  • Vegetable stir fry with chicken or shrimp over brown rice.
  • Grilled salmon with a sweet potato and steamed broccoli.
  • Home made pasta sauce with crab and vegetables, served over whole wheat pasta.
  • Black bean, sweet potato, quinoa, spinach quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas.
  • Turkey sandwich with lettuce/tomato/spicy mustard on whole wheat bread.
  • Scrambled egg whites with vegetables, tons of salsa, rolled into a whole wheat tortilla.
  • Grilled vegetables and shrimp skewers with a spicy tomato sauce, served over brown rice with a squeeze of lemon.
  • Home made soup with chickpeas, leeks, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach served with a piece of crusty whole wheat bread.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #3  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Very interesting indeed. I have never looked at it this way, but then I'm very new on this road. I have been working this as just eating healthy items and keeping within my calorie allowance. Hmmmmmm

My lunch today: 1 sl WW bread, 1 tsp honey mustard, 3 oz white albacore tuna, 1 orange, boiled egg (this was only because it was a craving that needed to be satisfied ). Does the orange throw this off? I had even read where fruit should not be eaten with other foods but rather alone for better digestion. Any thoughts on that?
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

The orange definitely doesn't throw it off, oranges are great. I have heard the "no fruit with meals" theory, but it never seemed to affect my weight loss, so I dismissed it as a worry for my own lifestyle

Don't overthink things so much!!! Sounds like you ate a great healthy, high protein lunch and you liked it. You might want to throw some lettuce/tomato on that sandwich - but overall, it is very healthy and nutritious. Focus on finding healthy foods that work for you and with your life! You don't have to follow what other people think so closely - this is your life, your journey, your meals.

As you can see by the stuff I post, I follow what works for me and my experiences (like, just for example, I don't believe in guzzling gallons of water a day and I don't believe in small dinners and I don't believe that you can't eat fruit with meals and I don't believe I can't eat past 8:00 pm and I KNOW I can't buy a box of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies and ration out 2 at a time for weeks). Those things may be just what other people need, but they are not for me. I love to read other people's experiences, some of it I agree with and incorporate right way, some of it I think sounds great, but I know there's no way I could fit it into my life (straining my own yogurt, baking my own bread) and some of it, I don't want to do at all.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
The orange definitely doesn't throw it off, oranges are great. I have heard the "no fruit with meals" theory, but it never seemed to affect my weight loss, so I dismissed it as a worry for my own lifestyle

Don't overthink things so much!!! Sounds like you ate a great healthy, high protein lunch and you liked it. You might want to throw some lettuce/tomato on that sandwich - but overall, it is very healthy and nutritious. Focus on finding healthy foods that work for you and with your life! You don't have to follow what other people think so closely - this is your life, your journey, your meals.

As you can see by the stuff I post, I follow what works for me and my experiences (like, just for example, I don't believe in guzzling gallons of water a day and I don't believe in small dinners and I don't believe that you can't eat fruit with meals and I don't believe I can't eat past 8:00 pm and I KNOW I can't buy a box of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies and ration out 2 at a time for weeks). Those things may be just what other people need, but they are not for me. I love to read other people's experiences, some of it I agree with and incorporate right way, some of it I think sounds great, but I know there's no way I could fit it into my life (straining my own yogurt, baking my own bread) and some of it, I don't want to do at all.

You nailed it on the head, Glory! RockinRobin has been trying to get me to see the light about this too - to just relax and do what is right for me (within reason). I told her that I tend to be somewhat frettful when I first start something new. Hopefully I will get the hang of it soon and be more confident in my new lifestyle.

Thank you SO MUCH for being patient with me as I try to get this all right. I appreciate your advice VERY MUCH!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ritzy, Glory's right. You want to eat fruit with your meal - eat fruit with your meal.

There's also something I wanted to mention to you about the Whole Foods Lifestyle. It doesn't necessarily have to be "just" whole foods. It CAN be HEALTHY foods as well, yes even if they're a bit processed. IF that's what you want. It's just a reference, a guide. To be tweaked to YOUR satisfaction. They won't throw you in Whole Foods prison if you veer off of it.

When I first started this I held to the nothing past 7 pm rule. This was great, but then I started working out at night (another big no-no I've been told) and I now DO eat something in the evenings, although it's light. My weightloss has not been affected at all. It works for me. Who knows I might change it up again as I see it is no longer working for me.

It's important to recognize what does and doesn't "feel right" as we go along. Afterall you are the one who is living your life. It must feel right and good to you. There is no one across the board correct way to do this. And you most certainly WILL adjust and get more confident and comfortable with it.

And please don't hesitate to keep on asking what ever questions you may have. We're here for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Golly, Robin, if I didn't work out at night, I wouldn't work out! I am sooo not a morning person. Taking a shower and making breakfast is a workout some mornings. The only reason I don't like to eat too late in the evening - as I mentioned somewhere here - is that I tend to have acid reflux if I do.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #8  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Thank you so much, Robin! I appreciate everyone's patience with me as I learn the ropes!