Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Default Book: Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman

I just read this book this past weekend and was fascinated by it. The gist of it is to pack in tons of high nutrient dense foods mostly fruits & vegetables, some whole grain starchy foods (like oatmeal, potatoes, corn, brown rice etc.), up to 1oz nuts or 2oz avocado, at least 1cup beans/legumes, no juice, no sugar, and no animal products.

I decided to try it out today as I could use a jump start in my weight loss. We'd like to get pregnant this year and since I'm older (38) I don't want to weigh this much during pregnancy (I weighed not much more than I do now at nine months pregnant with my son 9 years ago).

According to fit day I had 51grams of fiber today and I normally get 25-30.

Has anyone else read or tried this plan? I did google searches and I can't find anything but praise for his book except for a lowcarb website that didn't agree with the no meat approach.

Thanks!
Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think there have been some threads in Veggie chicks about it. I haven't looked at it myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Sounds very healthy, but maybe a little extreme. Lots of people do well on a vegan diet like that, but make sure you are careful with your choices. It is difficult to get a few key nutrients, like B12 and iron, with no animal sources of food. Much easier with a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. But I would think if you pay attention and enjoy it, it should be fine.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

We have a lot of athletes at my job who use it and have found great success with it. I do like his concepts, but the diet itself is a bit starchy for me. I do think he makes some very good points though. overall, I dug it
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #5  

I think it may be a little extreme but if anything it did inspire me to cut out some things and have fruits & veggies as the basis of my diet for the past few weeks (instead of as side dishes).

I've cut way back on meat and dairy and have been having a HUGE salad for lunch everyday with all kinds of mixed veggies, beans & fruit added to it. I've dropped a few pounds since doing it which is nice and I feel great.

I've making dinner for my family every night vegetarian and often times vegan and they are open. My husband says he feels "lighter" and likes not eating meat before bed. All the extra fiber has made us a rootin tootin family if you know what I mean and it's been cause for many laughs although our bodies seem to be getting used to the new fiber intake

I tracked the nutrition on Fitday and Anne was right about not getting enough vitamin B so I added a cup of soymilk everyday. The new recipes at least keep things interesting as I can get in a rut and eat the same things day after day.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I have the book myself. It is important to understand that the "extreme"-ness of the diet is really for those who need aggressive weightloss and quick weightloss (think yo-yo dieters, patients w/ surgery coming up etc). The author does recommend taking supplements (fish oil, etc).

I also read his other book "Disease Proofing your kids" and he had tons of great tips and ideas to get kids eating a more produce based diet.

I'd really like to stick to his program atleast 80% of the time. lol I mean just attempting it is good for your health. Yu can't go wrong on greens, fruit, and beans!
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

hi Everyone I'm following ETL and have lost 20 pounds on it. If your interested stop by the veggy forum.

Junebug I don't think Dr furhmans pogram is to starchy as a matter of fact you are incuraged not not eat a lot of starchy veggies of bread or creals in the first 6 weeks. I think it's one serving a day with 1/2 of beans a day.

Maureen
gggbdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:52 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggbdomino View Post
hi Everyone I'm following ETL and have lost 20 pounds on it. If your interested stop by the veggy forum.

Junebug I don't think Dr furhmans pogram is to starchy as a matter of fact you are incuraged not not eat a lot of starchy veggies of bread or creals in the first 6 weeks. I think it's one serving a day with 1/2 of beans a day.

Maureen
I'm sure you are right about that. Upon deeper examination, I realized that I was referring to "Eat To Win" by Robert Haas...

junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I tried it not once...but twice. It is a very strict plan and I didn't like it at all!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #10  

I try not to use the word "strict" in my vocabulary too much anymore.

I like the book and his nutrition philosophy.

I agree that I can't adhere to it "strictly." So I do the best I can most days and have dropped about 1.5 pounds a week consistently since reading the book.

It's definitely inspired me and I am eating more superfoods than I was before. Some changes I've made: my morning smoothie is packed with nutrients (including spinach!), I'm eating much less animal protein and tons more beans, getting most of my good fat from food like walnuts and flaxseed rather than processed oils (I haven't given up my dark chocolate so that accounts for some of my fat too I feel great too!