Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Height: 5'3"

Question Sometimes I tend to over-think things... (losing 10%)

I don't know a whole lot about this "lose 10% of your body weight and greatly reduce the change of some illness/diseases" thing... but at what point does this no longer apply? And for some people, 10% isn't necessarily enough. (I still haven't reached my 10%, and I think could probably stand to least at LEAST 25% of my start weight to be safe)

Say someone who starts off at 250lbs loses their 10% (25 lbs)... they are then weighing 225. Then what if a doctor tells that person that if they lost 10% they would greatly reduce their chances... they've already lost that 10%, so now they're at needing to lose 20%... does it ever end??

And Nicole Ritchie... I just read she weighs something like 86lbs. Obviously if she loses that 10% it's not a good thing. So when does the 10% rule no longer apply? What's the cut-off?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If you're already at a healthy weight, then the 10% rule no longer applies. It is for people who need to lose weight, not those who are already at a healthy weight.

And yes, you may need to lose more than 10% to be at a healthy weight, but every 10% you lose decreases your risks of certain illnesses even further. If you're 200 and lose 20, then you've decreased your risk, and you can just continue to decrease those risks all the way until you reach whatever your ideal/healthy weight is.

It's basically meant to encourage people. If you have a lot of weight to lose, the journey can seem endless and sometimes not even worth it (havinf weighed over 300 pounds, I can definitely attest to this). However, by knowing that by losing just 10% could reduced (not ELIMINATE, but reduce) the risks of certain weight-related illnesses, then the journey seems much more worthwhile.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/176.6/155

Height: 5'9"

i've actually had a pt tell me that there's research to support that 7% weight loss reduces risk of diabetes and such and that the way alot of people lost that 7% was to do things like taking the stairs instead of the elveator
Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hey, this is encouraging. I just realized that so far I have lost 20% of my body weight so no wonder my health is improving. Still have a long way to go but it still helps!!
Closed Thread