Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #1  
paw

Default weight watchers and exercising

I have started weight watchers and am keeping points. Can someone tell me about doing exercises to equal points? I can have 25 points a day. SO this means if I stay under that I will lose weight right? If I do 30 min of cardio is that equal to one extra point?

I have a calorie counter when I exercise. I burned 200 calories in 1 hour. Does that transfer over?
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #2  

Default Confused?

I'm confused by the 25 points thing. The info I have goes by 2 point increments; 20, 22, 24.... And your target points are the minimum that you can eat, not the maximum.

Also, if you go to the WW points section all of the information you could possibly want is there. Including just how many points you'er supposed to eat, including the flex points, and activity point calculation.

I think you're missing some information.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #3  
banned

yes you must eat all of your points each day(excluding activity points)
Old 08-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw
I have started weight watchers and am keeping points. Can someone tell me about doing exercises to equal points?
Based on the intensity it is for you, time done and your current weight you earn more points for activity to eat if you so choose.

Quote:
I can have 25 points a day. SO this means if I stay under that I will lose weight right?
Unless you are in maintenance and have found your daily rate this is not right. You need to use your materials and figure your target rate based on your current weight. And these daily or target points are the bare minimum and you should eat all of them each and every day. Going under tends to slow the metabolism and cause you to stall or even gain.

[quote]If I do 30 min of cardio is that equal to one extra point?[/qoute] Again how many points a person earns for activty is based on intensity, current weight and time done.

Quote:
I have a calorie counter when I exercise. I burned 200 calories in 1 hour. Does that transfer over?
While some people use 100 calories burned as 1 point that isn't necessarily true which is why W/W utilizes intensity (calories burned doesn't take this into account), time done and current weight.

If you do not have materials or access to figure out activity points I have some unofficial points that I would be willing to share just drop me a line at [email protected] .
Old 08-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/190/130

Height: 5'1

Ok I am a bit confused. Iattend WW every week and I am told that the target number of 24 points that I have is not the minimum but actually that is what I am told to eat and that I can eat less but never to go under 20 points. I am told that I can use my exercise points and the extra 35 weekly points as I see fit but that my target to hit is actually 24 and not to go too much past that. I am confused when you say that is my minimum points when WW meetings and books tells me that is actually my maximum with the exception of activity and the extra weekly points which they say to use in moderation. They even say not to strive to use more than 4 activity points daily as you may end up eating too much. I am curious about the difference in our information. Thanks for any info and God bless.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenonah2006
Ok I am a bit confused. Iattend WW every week and I am told that the target number of 24 points that I have is not the minimum but actually that is what I am told to eat and that I can eat less but never to go under 20 points.
On occassion it is ok to go as low as 20 but if you are in the 22 TPs that is the minimum you should eat a day, 24 TPs is the lowest for that weight, and so on..... This is a bare minimum for your body's weight to keep it from thinking it is starving however an occasional day under those points will not make or break your metabolism.

Quote:
I am told that I can use my exercise points and the extra 35 weekly points as I see fit but that my target to hit is actually 24 and not to go too much past that.
I am unsure what you are saying here because it conflicts with the previous statement that I just gave further info on. Your daily points are the bare minimum but W/W program also allows you to eat ActivityPoints on the days earned and the are OPTIONAL not mandatory. Additionally you are alloted 35 additional points to make the program flexible. These to are OPTIONAL and not mandatory but the majority of people find that when they use them they lose 'better or at least more consistently."

[/quote]I am confused when you say that is my minimum points when WW meetings and books tells me that is actually my maximum with the exception of activity and the extra weekly points which they say to use in moderation.[/quote] You are to eat these points daily at a MINIMUM. Yes they are the Daily aka Target but these are what you should be eating at a minimum.

Quote:
They even say not to strive to use more than 4 activity points daily as you may end up eating too much.
If you are truly honest in how you count your activity you really don't have to worry about overeating the APs. I know for a fact (based on heart rate) that the majority of my cardio activity is in the HIGH INTENSITY range but I NEVER take a full high intensity activity points. I see what it is for high and what it is for moderate and take something pretty in between. Additionally there is no limit (and never has been) W/W says to start slow and build up to an AVERAGE of 4 a day if you have been inactive or are not under the care of a fitness professional or medical doctor so you 1) don't over exercise and hurt yourself and/or 2) don't overexercise just to or compensate for over eating. I have an e-mail from W/W customer service about the Activity Points let me see if I can find it for you.

So you see your Daily/Target are you MINIMUM a day and the maximum would be any ActivityPoints you earn plus any or up to all of your Flex/WeeklyPoints (keeping track so you do not exceed the 35 of them).
Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

In response to an inquiry on how many ActivityPoints to earn/use:

"Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. Due to the fact that many of us exercise vigorously on one day and rest on the next, you may swap as many Activity POINTS as you've earned into Food POINTS for the amount that you exceed your POINTS Target on that given day. Keep in mind, however, that being overactive just to eat more is not healthy. Furthermore, you should note that Activity POINTS cannot be saved for future days. If you decide to swap Activity POINTS for Food POINTS, the swap must occur on the same day the Activity POINTS are earned.

Weight Watchers® follows the recommendations of the American College of Sports Medicine which means we recommend that you earn no more than 4 Activity POINTS per day on average, or no more than 28 Activity POINTS per week, to reduce the risk of over-use injuries. If you are ready to exercise beyond this point, we recommend that you consult with an exercise physiologist or certified personal trainer to help prevent injury.

Sincerely,
Jacque
Customer Service Associate
Weight Watchers International, Inc "
Old 08-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #8  

Unhappy Confused about the maximum activity points

I'm a little confused about the activity points. I first thought that the maximum points you can earn through exercise was 4 points. But when I read the booklet, it says that "... we recommend that you earn no more than 4 Activity POINTS per day on average, or no more than 28 Activity POINTS per week, to reduce the risk of over-use injuries."

I'm confused about the 4 activity points per day ON AVERAGE. Does that mean that I can (let's say) earn 6 points each day for two days and 5 points each day for another two days and still be okay since the total is 22 points? This averages less than 4 points a day for the week, 3.14 points per day to be exact? If so, that would be great! I know we shouldn't exercise just to earn more points to eat but my daily target points is 20 and it's really difficult to keep from going over 20.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVivian View Post
I'm confused about the 4 activity points per day ON AVERAGE. Does that mean that I can (let's say) earn 6 points each day for two days and 5 points each day for another two days and still be okay since the total is 22 points? This averages less than 4 points a day for the week, 3.14 points per day to be exact? If so, that would be great!
Exactly. You can vary your exercise points a day just like your daily points.

Quote:
I know we shouldn't exercise just to earn more points to eat but my daily target points is 20 and it's really difficult to keep from going over 20.
Don't forget you have the 35 Weekly Points to assist your daily points too.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #10  

Thanks for clearing that up, Kelly! I just started WW so even with the 35 allowance points, it's hard. But it's starting to get a little easier...
Closed Thread