Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 07:53 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - Week of August 27th

Good morning and welcome to a new week. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I finally got some items off of my to-do list so am feeling somewhat energized. I think the cooler, less humid weather has a bit to do with my renewed attitude too.

Weighed in on Saturday and posted a .2 gain Am looking at it as a positive though because that means I managed to lose most of what I gained since the July weigh-in I'm still feeling optimistic about getting to my target weight of 138. That's nine pounds away as of Saturday.

After deliberating over three years, we finally ordered new bedroom furniture over the weekend. Prices keep increasing, and it made absolutely no economic sense to put it off any longer. We should find out about delivery tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been rearranging furniture in my head, trying to figure out what will go where and what we can give away. I bought all of the linens, etc. for the king-size bed last summer, so am somewhat excited about seeing what the whole package will look like.

DH is leaving today to visit his parents for a few days. Work will no doubt be nuts - we've lost another administrative support person and it will likely be weeks before we get a replacement. So, I'm expecting a busy, busy week.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 08-27-2001, 08:57 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!

My weekend was pretty busy. I was in Chicago for a meeting on Saturday. Came home yesterday to storms (our plane had to circle for 15 minutes to wait it out), only to have to take my #2 son (10) to the ER. He and DS #1 (16) were horsing around and he "dove" by the marble table and caught his head. Thankfully he only needed 2 stitches. What a way to end the weekend.

DS #1 started school today, #2 starts on Wednesday. It's going to be a crazy week getting back into the "swing" of things. It's busy here at work as well. The one thing I can pat myself on the back for is not eating. Generally I tend to munch when I'm stressed.

Seasaw: How exciting to get the new bedroom furniture. We just got a set this past April so I understand how exciting it is. It's great that you've lost most of what you had gained in July...the .2 will come off as well. You can reach your personal goal of 138!

I'm focusing on staying on track and getting some more walking in. Our university is offering yoga starting on Sept. 10th and I'm going to sign up. I figure I can walk the track until the class begins.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Old 08-27-2001, 10:03 AM   #3  

Good morning,

Had a busy weekend as well - our annual neighborhood block party was Saturday evening; the weather didn't cooperate fully with it being rainy/cloudy most of the day. So, we didn't get to have our campfire like we always do. Did pretty good eating at the party - at least I wrote everything down & it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Had a couple of WW staff meetings over the weekend as well, so not much extra time left over.

Melissa - most of the schools in Madison start school today. Where I live, it's not going to be until after Labor Day because they've built a new school & it won't be ready. Here in Wisconsin, the governor has signed a bill requiring a no earlier school start date of Sept 1 starting next fall - seems it cuts into August family vacations plus the tourism industry suffers when all the kids who work head back to school by mid to late August. It will be interesting to see how that goes over.

Seasaw - Ah, new bedroom furniture. I would love to get a new set for our bedroom - we are actually using the bedroom set I had when I was young. That is great news on your weigh-in. Sounds like you, Melissa & I all want to get to that 138 pound mark.

Later,
Old 08-28-2001, 10:02 AM   #4  

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Laurel
Happy Birthday to you

How's everyone else today? Awfully quiet around here yesterday - must be the end-of-summer lull before the start-of-school storm

Finally got out for a run yesterday. It was awfully hot and humid but it felt great to be active after six days of doing nothing. It's so easy to get away from good habits; prior to my vacation, I was running every second morning faithfully. I now roll over in favour of 15 extra minutes in bed. That's why I ended up in 28 degree Celsius heat and high humidity yesterday. Duh!!

I have a question for anyone following WW points system. Is lite Miracle Whip considered a creamy dressing (2 T for 2 pts) or a lite mayonnaise (2 tsp. for 1 pt.)? Big difference! Can anyone help?
Old 08-28-2001, 11:57 AM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi all-

back from a disatrous eating and exercising trip to Maine. Oh well, chalk it up to poor planning on my part, too many work commitments and well, sloth ruled. I hate those kind of trips.

okay, its over.

Happy birthday miss Laurel!!!!!!!!!!

Its nice here, the dog and cat survived our being gone. I'm back at work and back in the saddle. I'm only about three projects behind, but motivated to get them taken care of.

anyways, i'll catch up with my journalling. I'm going to wi this week, probably tomorrow after the
salty plane food is out of my system.

Hope everyone is doing okay. I'm beginning to see the signs of fall! Seattle kids don't go back to school until after labor day. It just seemed like yesterday they were getting out of school.

lala
Old 08-28-2001, 01:18 PM   #6  

Hey Lala - boy can I relate to disastrous eating. Let's see... I glommed lobster bisque, lobster salad, lobster in butter, a full blown turkey dinner, cheese burgers, crab cakes and let's not forget the St. Andre cheese appetizers on garlic crisps.

Hi Seasaw . I'm clueless about your lite Miracle Whip question. Can you calculate it using the Nutritional info on the container? e.g. calories vs. dietary fiber vs. fat grams with your WW tracking card? I know how you feel about trying to get back into the routine of exercise. If it wasn't for the rude awakening on the scale yesterday, I probably would have bagged the track last night. But I was too mortified by the weight gain of 3.8 to miss it. And congrats with the bedroom furniture.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:32 AM   #7  
LM

Thanks for the birthday wishes, goils. I'm not too thrilled about birthdays lately...I did have a yummy piece of pizza so that was nice and only one piece so it was a miraculous day. And weigh in showed me at exactly goal weight so that was good too.

Been down in the dumps lately so my normal Chatty Cathy routine is a little impaired...blah.

Seasaw, let us know the nutrition info for the "whip" and we'll figure it out.

Here's an online points calculator: http://www.crossmier.com/personalarea/wwcalc.asp
Old 08-29-2001, 08:33 AM   #8  

mornin.

lala: You slay me. Reading your journal entries has made my day. A perfect depiction of a no-win situation - trying to eat healthily while wanting to experience new surroundings. I sympathize (but I laugh too).

Patch: I have some St. André cheese at home in the fridge. Darn Costco!! Every time I shop there I come home with another food that DH can't bear to live without. My fault - I lobbied for the membership... Also, I posed the Miracle Whip question on another thread. Hopefully someone will have the answer. If all else fails, I'll work it out on the pointsfinder (how lazy is that?)

Melissa: I guess both of your boys are back to school as of today. How is the younger one's injury? Will he be wearing it like a crown (no pun intended) around the school yard?

katie: We'll be living with the old bedroom furniture a while longer. The bed is out of stock and won't be available til the end of September. That gives me a bit of time to finish pillow shams that I've been working on since last summer and to figure out how to re-arrange things. A king bed will make quite a difference in our bedroom. Things will fit, but I think it will take a little creativity to make the most of the space.

I'm off to an all-day (ugh) meeting. Have been fortifying myself with an extra-large black coffee, so I should be bug-eyed by the time things get started.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:18 AM   #9  

Good morning everyone! It's a cool morning here in PA. It's almost as if "Fall" is in the air.

Seasaw: Both boys are back in school as of today...this morning wasn't as hectic as I had anticipated so that was good. My younger son, I'm sure, will be proudly showing off his "battle" wounds today. The stitches are healing quite nicely and we have an appointment to have them removed next Tuesday. I understand the question re:Miracle Whip...in the Food companion it's listed as a "Salad dressing"--the light is 1 tbs = 1 pt; it's not considered a light mayonnaise from what I can tell.

Lala: I had yesterday all planned out and something took control and before I knew it my plan wasn't going the way I wanted. I know part of my problem was that I didn't have enough protein and therefore felt hungry and not satisfied. That coupled with the stress of getting all the school supplies together were a bad combination...need I say any more???

Laurel: Belated Happy Birthday! Congratulations on staying right at goal!

Today's my meeting day so we'll see how things go. I've been trying to make sure I journal and get my water in so we'll see how it goes. I'll check in after my meeting at noon. Happy Hump Day!
Old 08-29-2001, 11:44 AM   #10  
si, si signora

Hi all-

Happy wednesday, its going to be warm here, so its laundry day! oh boy.

I had a pretty good day yesterday short of getting to the gym I did everything else I needed to. I'm
going today for sure, just need to get stuff ready and the bag in the car. I spent part of the night on the couch with the dog. I didn't get kicked out of my bedroom, but he was chewing on his flank and I figured that he would stop if someone was with him. Anyways, got a nice crick in the neck and realized that dogs can edge you off the couch as well as people.

Laurel: I'm sorry you are not feeling particularly perky. Is it the change of seasons or is too much time spent word whomping?

Seesaw: I don't understand this little blip in my ww lifestyle. Usually I'm pretty good about not going crazy. I had hoped to get some exercise in, but it seems my friend I stayed with was not interested in doing anything really active. I guess next time we get our own car and I make my own arrangements.

bummer about the bed, I hate when that happens.

melissa I need to read back and find out what happened to your DS! Yikes. Have fun with tonight's slew of homework and lists. I read in the NYTimes about the long lists of things that kids are expected to bring to school now. I can't imagine having to buy all of that.

kt: are you done with yoga? did you like it?

okay, off to finish a proposal and get something done for the day.

I'm getting a massage at lunch. Haven't had one in years. Of course, I have to drive to South Seattle through horrendous traffic to get there, so I'll be a knot of tension.

sigh.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:47 AM   #11  
si, si signora

melissa: My reading comprehsion is not very good anymore- Yikes! Head wounds tend to bleed alot. I hope everyone is better now.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:42 PM   #12  

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd pop in and report how my weigh in went...I was up .6; I was not expecting this but then again it is TOM. I was really hoping for another loss of some sort. *sigh* Anyway, prior to my meeting I signed up for a yoga class on Mondays. Since I'll have some time prior to the start of the class and the end of the work day I'm going to use that time wisely by going and walking for 30+ minutes.

lala: My son's bookbag was pretty heavy with things he needed for today and he was still minus a couple of items. It sure is different than when I went to school.

Katie: I'd love to hear how you liked/disliked yoga. I'm kind of curious as to what I've gotten myself into.

Things have gotten quite a bit quieter here in the office now that the students are back and classes have begun. I have to admit it's nice to see life on campus again

Hope everyone is having a successful day!
Old 08-29-2001, 03:22 PM   #13  

Hello!
Just had to bop in & say hi.

lala & Melissa - thanks for asking about my yoga class. It was an intro class for newbies. It ended about a month ago - I did enjoy it, but admit I had a hard time changing my mind set to a slower, more deliberate mode. I equate exercise with more fast-paced action & it was a challenge to be more thoughtful in my thoughts, movements & body position. I did find it relaxing & did enjoy it - in fact, the yoga instructor is allowing us to make up any missed classes for free - I have two classes to make up but haven't had a chance to. I am thinking about buying/renting some yoga videos this fall/winter to keep my exercise interest piqued during the long months indoors. Myra does quite a bit of yoga - she is probably more knowledgeable than myself.

lala - I agree with Seasaw - your daily journal entries bring a small to my face.

ok, back to work - the clouds have rolled in in the past hour I'll check in with youse guys later.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:39 AM   #14  

One day closer to the long weekend. Happy about that but sad that summer is drawing to a close. On a brighter note, it was cool and crisp this morning - the kind of weather that energizes me and makes me think of new beginnings. Must be a throwback to school days.

katie: One of the running clinics that I took had a yoga portion. It was surprisingly tough! I'm not sure I liked it enough to continue, but on the other hand, I didn't get much exposure to it either. I may try it again some day.

melissa: I'm sure the slight gain is due to water retention. I saw your numbers for last week on the challenge thread and they look fine. Hang in there - there's likely a loss in your future. And thanks for the point count for the Miracle Whip.

laurel: Are you in a birthday funk? Don't let it get you down - we all have 'em and yes, we all hate 'em after a certain point (altho presents are always welcome). Thanks for the info on the online points finder. That will come in useful.

lala: Was your massage wonderful? Did you get to the gym? Is the dog better?

No big plans for the weekend. We're invited to a party Saturday nite (rain date Sunday) and we're supposed to wear "something outrageous". Since I've done a purge of everything I own and given away things I no longer wear, I will likely have to go to a used clothing store to find something. DH wants to wear a wedding dress. I'm trying to figure out if there's a hidden message in that....
Old 08-30-2001, 06:10 PM   #15  
si, si signora

Hi all ,

hectic day and it only seems to be getting worse, then again, all you lucky people are probably home by now.

Anyways, seesaw, my massage was good, but it was way far away, so i booked one for next week, but think after that i may have to think of something closer.

I'm not sure about your party, maybe you and your DH should wear matching gowns? I'm all for going as a tall person, that would be sort of funny.

Anyways, I hope you all are having low point delightful dinners. I bought a cranberry blueberry tart for dessert and we have four for dessert tonight, so there shant be any leftovers for us.

more later,

lala
Closed Thread